• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

The new gLTD domains being released this year, your thoughts?

Sitebee

UFO Hunter
NLC
What are your thoughts on the 300+ new domain name extensions being released this year? Many of them are already available for pre-registration, which of course does not guarantee you will receive the domain. But that`s not really the point I want to talk about.

I think with the plethora of new domains being released, it`s probably a bad thing for regular internet users (non-hosting / domain name savvy) as it could confuse them, to what they are actually researching / looking for. Then there is the spam issue, domains registered with keyword heavy domains ranking for phrases.

They would also go against the Google EMD update (Exact Match Domains) as the majority of these new gTLD`s are keywords. And then there`s trying to protect your brand, would that mean you have to purchase another 300+ domains just to stop people buying domains with your brand / company name / trademarked product?

I think personally all the new domains are a step too far! They are bad for consumers and bad for businesses. But at the same time, there is scope for whole new markets to make money from. I wonder how Google intends to rank these new domains.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
.web and .shop I can see getting somewhat popular but most of the others... .plumbing? .systems?

It could become confusing with all those, but my guess is only a few of those will be a success.

I am a little worried about the spam issue - domains registered with keyword heavy domains ranking for phrases. There must be many similar domains exist with different extensions, which I think will surely make visitors confusing.

Back