• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

the right to die

TRUNKS

Something
NLC
A QUADRIPLEGIC used chopsticks clenched in his mouth to type out an impassioned death wish, asking Hong Kong lawmakers to legalize euthanasia so he can end what he calls a hopeless life.

Mercy killing is illegal in Hong Kong, but the 34-year-old man who has been paralyzed from the neck down for more than a decade hopes he can help change that.

"I lie in bed 24 hours a day," the man wrote by tapping on a computer keyboard with his chopsticks. "I need other people's help to eat, urinate, clean my body, turn around and sleep. I am a total invalid and a financial and mental burden to my family."

The man, who was not identified by name, said in the letter released Tuesday by legislative officials that he had previously sought help from Chief Executive Tung Chee-hwa but only got a muddled response from a health and welfare official.

Lawmakers discussed the man's plight on Monday but gave no indication they would act on legalizing euthanasia.

The man became paralyzed while rehearsing somersaults for a graduation ceremony in 1991.

He can only breathe through a pipe inserted into a hole in his throat, which is connected to a breathing machine that keeps him alive on his hospital bed.

He said the machine alone costs his family more than 10,000 Hong Kong dollars (AU$1,730) a year.

"I want to put an end to this endless waiting, but I can't even kill myself," the man wrote.

Usually your tounge is attached to your mouth, so it's pretty hard to swallow it ;)

I still say swallowing the chopsticks is the best idea :)

overdose would be the easiest way. large dose of morphine and it would be very painless death. i feel sorry for these who are forced to live life a vegetable never able to every taste a small piece of life without the aid of other ppl.

On the religious side, I dont believe someone has the right to kill themselves. However, on the moral side, I think they should. I think it should be up to that person and their families. They should have the right to die unless anyone in their family contests it. For example, if a hubby is paralized from the neck down, the wife or a child may WANT to take care of him.

I dont think it's the governments right to be involved in such cases. It treads on a person's rights. The right to the pursuit of happiness tells me that the government does not have the right to deny death to someone in such a miserable state of existence.

Back