• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Time to rebuild my host spread

Alright, my system is back up and has been stable for a few hours now.

Yep. I daresay you were down a few hours longer than your first rough guess, but the responsibility of reporting an outage turned it into a simple case of "change to another mirror site" instead of a frenetic "Where's Lost Signal" thread with 12 posts.

Efil, what you did right that I respect is that you DID report your woes well. So no one likes trouble to strike, but if it does, just say so and let time march on.

Dear Tao-san,

Regarding the “Private Company” plan, in case you haven't read this, which is found around the second page of the same thread, I'll add it here for your reference.
[quote author=Efil link=topic=157.msg710#msg710 date=1226980515]
Internet service providers here in Japan normally doesn't give fixed IP address to households, I think it has something to do with rules and regulations of the country. It is the very reason why we are going to register Water Seven as a "private company limited." As a registered company we will eligible to purchase fixed IP address that we can use for the home server.

I know an ISP provider that doesn't require such an eligibility but their system doesn't seem to work on Linux based servers.
Also, our connection will be a "business connection".
[/QUOTE]
However, since the most practical solution for us until now remains to be “rental server” instead of “home server” the privatization plan is not yet exercised.

Efil, what you did right that I respect is that you DID report your woes well. So no one likes trouble to strike, but if it does, just say so and let time march on.
I believe there's no reason for me not to report anything. It's the community I love, and the community I've been protecting afterall. Besides, reporting is commonsense for us, as we've even been long prepared for Efil being hit by the bus. (Please use “TaoPhoenix” as the username and password to access the thread.)

Cheers!
Efil

Dear Tao-san,

I believe there's no reason for me not to report anything. It's the community I love, and the community I've been protecting afterall. Besides, reporting is commonsense for us, as we've even been long prepared for Efil being hit by the bus

Cheers!
Efil

I wouldn't call it "Common Sense" because it's so very rare! Perhaps it is Water Seven sense! And ... that would be one component towards explaining to prospects what an organization offers.

Sadly, this thread just had a major example of the varying values of scarcity of UnCommon Sense.

Cross Industries up

There we go. After a bit of Monty-Python-esque impossibilities in the setup, I'm all set up with Cross Industries.

http://taophoenix.x-ind.com/ReVision.html

I'll make a green bar for them in a couple of days and load the site a couple more days after that.

But last I knew that puts Round 3 in quiescence again.

Cross's green bar is up, as well as part of the page, enough to avoid crashing into NotFound right away.

The study has come a long way, and the current crew of new entrants is going to be more resilient as a whole. We may lose one, but the whole level won't get skunked for a while.

Now comes the fairly dull part of just living life. If someone clamors to get in, I'll consider it, but otherwise the logical part of the design is full. Not bad for 7 months work.

Hosts are encouraged to figure out their own news rhythm. I'm not out to spot a 5 minute outage and pounce. Lost Signal's episode the other day is a good example. A very rough ballpark is if the host thinks they'll be down more than an hour. If it's trouble and you're down an hour, it's probably gonna get worse and ought to be noted.

I encourage backups to be done if possible in slower layers rather than total outage. I almost never jump on service delays, at the very least because my own connection is so rotten it would wreck any attempt at a measurement. I consider total outages more serious, because the web is an Always-On event. Also, one of these years I am actually going to launch the site with something in it, and we need to have a good read that the host is never down with "false alarms".

Last edited:
Posting this on the once host known as FreezeHost/JustAPost.

We had problems, a lot of problems. We were covering this up, and we weren't solving them the way we should have been. This is the problem when you give one man control of important resources. I am going to strive this for the fellow new hosts on FWS and for behalf of a previous hostee, always let more than one person have access to important things.

Things happen. Having been helping to run/own free web hosting companies since early 2006, I've seen it all. I have learned a lot over the years, what to do, what not to do, valuable trade secrets, and learned how to be successful fast. This is great, everybody knows how to do this, am I correct? No, but you learn this over time, by making changes, trying new ideas (Like FreezeHost/JustAPost)...the problem is when you start an idea, make sure you follow it up. I had been hosting nobody but Mr. TaoPhoenix. Things were fine, but when my primary person for the paying the server, he had a 'tendency' to disappear. This happened once, but because I didn't want to look like a ---- to our one hostee (remember, try to make the best of a bad situation. One bad review can ruin your dreams), so I covered it up. The thing is, it was becoming repetitive, and he was catching on. After a while, he disappeared; and I never heard back from him.

So I know I am tired and it's 12:30 AM, but I hope that some person takes my advice. Make sure there are safeguards in place to protect your clients accounts, there data, and the reliability of your servers. One bad review can cause problems for years. It's better to have No reviews, than a bad review. Especially in the close-market such as Free Hosting, or Hosting in general, there is always somebody who can 'outdue' you. Make the best to avoid these situations.

This must be one of the most valuable things I have learned in the past 4 years I have been active in the web hosting industry. And hey, it's important, and I like to see people succeed. So just take this tidbit of advice if your reading.

And I would like to say sorry to TaoPhoenix for disappearing and not posting it sooner. This was very unprofessional of me, and I hope you don't use it to look upon me as a distrustful person.

I'd also like to thank TaoPhoenix at the same time, he has taught me a valuable life lesson I am trying to move onto others.

Gutsy Brandon, Gutsy.

My little project grew ivy tendrils into some interesting side roles. If nothing else, I am a fairly levelheaded client to host. I don't ask for much, and I don't submit very many support tickets once the basics are running. In the old coal mines they used to have canaries (which went unconscious early ) to tell them when they had a ventilation problem and gave them some X hours to get to safety and regroup. I think that's where you are now. I ended up with a role of taking things out of "talky theory" into "an actual client", which helps safeguard against the wheel&dealer types who ... then don't pay a server. Better that the experimental host fail on me than in a bigger arena.

Your post touches on a recommendation I've had for a while, in that there are too many 1-man shows here. Fellow X burns out, Fellow Y runs into a malicious attack fellow Z loses his server. I think it would be interesting if any three of y'all joined forces.

I really appreciate the post Brandon, because that clearing the air is in the absolute best spirit of what I've tried to do in my careening thread of adventure.

Reports

P.S.

Another little side effect I hoped to demonstrate is that we're hitting the age when hosts can't hide anymore. Even if nothing gets posted at the FWS level, individuals, once they prove they are not trolls, will start to make their own decisions, and "review things". So since a review WILL eventually happen, coverups are so 1990's X files.

In 2012 (to be facetious with the date) there will be no coverups because everyone can tap an expert remotely through the net, then just amplify the results. Sure, I don't know about Colocation failures or DNS bad packets or whatever. But the new age means that someone will. All I report on my board is a binary "Here/NotHere" survival metric. (See my note about slow backups better than outages). Then the other guys with Da Skillz can dig to their heart's content.

Hey Guys! Checking in with my updates

"Server upgrade might happen today and we might have some downtime, but they may only be 30 minutes, we will keep you posted."

Thanks
Colorhost

PS:I have noticed Paradox Servers is back up, but to be honest i don't think there gonna last now.
Also, Are you gonna update all the hosts copies of your page? i see mine is a tad out of date, i just like mine (and others of course) to be up to date.

Last edited:

tyler - [url]http://paradoxservers.net/showthread.php?tid=112[/url] said:
we will start hosting again on the 5th or 7th of may unless something comes up. The reason we stopped in the first place was to transfer over to our new connection, unfortunately during transit the data was corrupted in the server - including the backup hdd within the server.

If you were a previous client with us and you wish to continue your hosting, you will have to sign up again.

The new connection will grant us 25mbps+25mbps (down/up) unmetered. This means that our total transfer rate will be 16tb per month, which compared to our previous 1.5tb grants us a lot of breathing room and the ability to increase the amount of data transfer per month we can offer to every client.

We hope to see you again soon!.

Hey Guys! Checking in with my updates

"Server upgrade might happen today and we might have some downtime, but they may only be 30 minutes, we will keep you posted."

Thanks
Colorhost
Also, Are you gonna update all the hosts copies of your page? i see mine is a tad out of date, i just like mine (and others of course) to be up to date.

The front board will be spread through soon, perhaps this weekend, perhaps a couple days later.

What I haven't figured out is when I go after working on actual page design behind the front page, which host will end up on "lead". The nice part of a spread is automatic version control - if I get a nice new tweak, spread it like butter. If I get too enthused and end up with OhMyGawdNo, I roll it back to the last known good copy.

In fact, that may solve my design structure problem. The spot Paradox had for a while was "Service Lead". Unfortunately as a new host, he fell right into the profile timeline for trouble at the 5 month mark. But while he was around, he was the fastest source of answers to weird little questions that proved useful to learn from.

Looking at my design, I have room for two volunteers for Service Lead. These are hosts who have enough time away from the bare necessities of running their host to be ultra responsive to questions here. It's OptIn. Maybe I'll get no one. But it's a nice selling point in favor of new hosts. The remaining hosts down on the lower tier would remain at my fairly quiet standard interaction style.

Getting two Service Leads opens up the board for up to two more entrants for the continuing Round 3. By now I command slightly more status than a Pet Rock, and slightly less than a good piece of Chocolate Fudge. But as the project matures, the survivors are earning chops for automatic recommendation to new clients. (Note to self - make the Service Lead bar a different color.)

Last edited:
Gutsy Brandon, Gutsy.

My little project grew ivy tendrils into some interesting side roles. If nothing else, I am a fairly levelheaded client to host. I don't ask for much, and I don't submit very many support tickets once the basics are running. In the old coal mines they used to have canaries (which went unconscious early ) to tell them when they had a ventilation problem and gave them some X hours to get to safety and regroup. I think that's where you are now. I ended up with a role of taking things out of "talky theory" into "an actual client", which helps safeguard against the wheel&dealer types who ... then don't pay a server. Better that the experimental host fail on me than in a bigger arena.

Your post touches on a recommendation I've had for a while, in that there are too many 1-man shows here. Fellow X burns out, Fellow Y runs into a malicious attack fellow Z loses his server. I think it would be interesting if any three of y'all joined forces.

I really appreciate the post Brandon, because that clearing the air is in the absolute best spirit of what I've tried to do in my careening thread of adventure.

No problem, Tao. I've been busy, I know I was hell of a dam late but you need to put your best foot forward and admit mistake when it happens, it's all comes down to character.

Misshaps happen.

But it is true more and more that you can't just run away from the disaster you made, people are finding ways to hunt down troublemakers and see they get their fair share.
In a way it's a good thing though. It means the internet is maturing. Back in the 90s the internet was like the Wild West, you could do just about anything you possibly could and get away with it.

Good to see that Paradox is coming back to life. Hopefully things go smoothly and Darksoul starts posting here again.

Misshaps happen.

But it is true more and more that you can't just run away from the disaster you made, people are finding ways to hunt down troublemakers and see they get their fair share.
In a way it's a good thing though. It means the internet is maturing. Back in the 90s the internet was like the Wild West, you could do just about anything you possibly could and get away with it.

Good to see that Paradox is coming back to life. Hopefully things go smoothly and Darksoul starts posting here again.

I think we are all coming back :).

Yup, i am coming back little by little...since i really dont do free hosting anymore, i dont really come into this section...or this site for that rather, but i do try to remember to come here for my updates.

Colorhost

Yup, i am coming back little by little...since i really dont do free hosting anymore, i dont really come into this section...or this site for that rather, but i do try to remember to come here for my updates.

Hey Colorhost.

Please clarify that when you get a moment. I get several manager coupons for reducing ad placement or specs, but if you don't offer any other free plans at all, that might do weird things to my study which is about free hosts. I'd keep your observation metric going, but I'd probably do something like make it a different looking bar/placement almost like a "Study Spinoff".

I'm interested in why you wouldn't offer free hosting, because I still believe one of the strongest cases for free hosting is that as a entry level by a paid host. I know all about the quality splits of free/paid, but I just happened to procrastinate on my page so long I never needed a paid host. But "one of these years" I will. Thing is, the host needs to Not Croak.

I was a free host when i signed up for this, but if this will effect your study....you have my permission to remove myself from the study.

Thanks
ColorHost

Interesting.

You've done too good a job of reporting just to trash my account with you. But instead I would like to treat it like a "control group" which in studies alters a major factor (here, such as free/paid) for overall comparison. So I will do something to my layout, and it will take me a few days to plan it out.

For the other hosts, I do request if someone switches to Paid-Only, that they holler my way. Overall I don't expect free hosts to fully match the Power of Paid" across the line.

Layout Change - Round 3

http://taophoenix.colorhost.net/ReVision.html

Here is a rough-house layout change based on the recent news. Colorhost will continue to be observed, but the purplish color means they are now a Paid host, and that my plan is an isolani from a manager coupon. Still, they get the attestation of the watched-over effect. In a science sense, it starts a "Control" group to compare performance vs. some of the lower tier free hosts.

Cross Industries has been moved up, not only for a love of efficiency in layout, but because they were in fact contacted early on, yet held off officially joining until recently. However Cross has unofficially been observed for a good while now, before I created the board. Schmarvin has already been through his crunch, so I think he's a tough contender to beat now.

That leaves my bottom two tier slots open again.

(Heh. Colorhost wished for the newest copy of the page, so it was granted!)

Back