• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Time to rebuild my host spread

No clue why, but Apache crashed. I changed some config today and reloaded it, it might not have reloaded properly.

Edit: Found out why: It had to do with a change I made in IP configuration and an SSL website hosted on this box on another IP address. The part that caught me off guard is it seemed to stay running...until someone accessed one of those SSL sites. Then the entire httpd crashed.

Last edited:
Babblehost is up

By "planning" I meant I already have the server paid, configured, the host bill software up, and support services ready. I'm sorry, I used a poor choice in words The only thing that is necessary still is for my (procrastinating) partner to finish the web design. Everything else is fully operational, and I already have a few accounts hosted. Backup services are a go as well. Oh, and I did forget to mention that I do give you a sub-domain name, of xxxxxxxxx.babblehost.com

EDIT: Also, your plan is specifically NOT ad-based or post-for-host. I have other income sources on different services that I plan on offering, so I'm not going to just disappear overnight like many free hosts tend to do.

Here we go. Babblehost is up.

http://taophoenix.babblehost.com/ReVision.html

See usual about filling out the links later, page versions, etc.

Last edited:
Excuse me for derailing this thread - but I'd like to remind Darksoul that it's quite unprofessional to go on IRC anonymously (with your home internet access) and troll prospective hosts about their pricing.

Your amount of conceitedness suprises me, when you bash other people about maintaining shoddy services, disappear for a month and restart the same crap again.

Also, nice job being a sysadmin and not knowing what a chroot is. If it wasn't you, you should prove it to me.

Good luck.

(Note, I base my accusations on a: using the web client on Seraphim's website, connecting to our IRC network from fiOS in Seattle, WA. (lsn-C878B24.sttlwa.fios.verizon.net)(hashed hostname for protection of personally identifiable information) (his profile says Washington) Most people wouldn't bother to connect with that web client if they used IRC, or unless they thought it'd make them anonymous. Grow up)

I certainly will not ever do any business with 'Darksoul' after this point.

(To whoever it was who gave me bad reputation: I have no shame in calling someone out on their 'BS', I expect at least the basic level of professionality I attempt to provide to the industry from the rest of the industry.)

Last edited:
Tough stuff.

On a broader level my thread is to link disparate parts of this small-dollar industry to nudge it out of the wild-west feel it has to it. I have tried to keep a lid on the worst of things, but issues need to be thrashed out for the public education-by-instance, anything to help shed real light on how these businesses are actually run.

I'd suggest backing down from "you don't know X" type comments becase all of you know a lot of stuff, and it sounds great, until it's *your* issue that pokes a hole in your knowledge. No brownie points are awarded for "My service was down but at least my reason was more exotic than yours".

Friendly warning - while my score isn't exact, by this point you've lost "a half point" out of the "2.5 points allowed". I don't hover over my sites - they're just rotating lead jumpgate pages to whatever else I'm doing on the web. Your outage yesterday was a surprise, for what sounded like local-knowledge reasons. You had a nasty software failure on April 27. And a bad-luck draw on the delayed backups April 9. I'll roll all that junk together into only a half point, but I can't rate you at a bulletproof 100% anymore.

For the rest of y'all, what saved him from getting seriously docked was that he has been good at reporting. "I don't care how busy you are, if you're hosed, say something."

So someone has been hanging christmas ornaments (in May!) from your halo, but you're so far still rated as a fine host.

I personally dislike the "trollbaiting" of other small hosts like Seraphim that I've been partnering with for a while on some things (like their IRC channel being on my network) - me and what I am pretty sure to believe is Darksoul were talking on Seraphim's channel earlier today, and me and Seraphim are pretty sure he's doing this just to bash other hosts, and I think it's petty and silly, I think you should spend more time improving your service stability, rather than buying a $3.50 VPS system to host your DNS; and bashing other service providers, when you can't afford to spend more than a cup of coffee on an extremely important service.

Also, none of the things I discussed on my last post have anything to do with my Apache being down the other day, but the fact remains he dropped every one of his customers with zero warning for more than a month and expects he can come back out of nowhere and start treating everyone else like crap again.

Last edited:
I had composed the following reply last night before my shared line melted entirely.

In Reverse order:

Also, none of the things I discussed on my last post have anything to do with my Apache being down the other day, but the fact remains he dropped every one of his customers with zero warning for more than a month and expects he can come back out of nowhere and start treating everyone else like crap again.

Sure. I put a bit of thought into my note. Darksoul went from dark horse lead all the way into nuclear meltdown and foreited his entire ranking of all "2.7 points" all at once. I won't aggressively chase away any new clients he may get ; this thread speaks for itself. It's like a Double Stakes ride. For the hosts that are cruising along my easy metrics, they get recommendation merits from me via steady limelight. Let's hear it for cWahi and IsMyWebsite!

But when it goes sour, the trouble point is about at the 5 hour mark. Good reporting makes it drop to whatever minor % I mentioned above. But trying to play Cut&Run is where it gets ugly.

I personally dislike the "trollbaiting" of other small hosts like Seraphim that I've been partnering with for a while on some things (like their IRC channel being on my network) - me and what I am pretty sure to believe is Darksoul were talking on Seraphim's channel earlier today, and me and Seraphim are pretty sure he's doing this just to bash other hosts, and I think it's petty and silly, I think you should spend more time improving your service stability, rather than buying a $3.50 VPS system to host your DNS; and bashing other service providers, when you can't afford to spend more than a cup of coffee on an extremely important service.

Yep - trolling is bad news. Most of the rest of your comment is on target. I'd call it more generally the addictive drama of business.

IsMyWebsite remodeling

They appear to be down for new signups for a while.

http://www.ismywebsite.com/

The community has grown a lot over the years, and we are once again at a point of difficulty due to the sheer number of responsibilities and limited schedule of our volunteers. You can expect a relaunch in June which should allow for much more effective growth, both for you, your website, and our community. Read more on our blog.

ReLaunching In:
11 Days 02:51:50
We are relaunching June 1st, 2010.

Blog address full of juicy details:
http://ismywebsite.wordpress.com/

This would be another tricky point in my scoring. I'd call it a half point demerit for cumulative length of time down to new signups combined with the lack of notice. However no more than that because existing clients appear to have full access.

There goes my Iptables.

Looks like I might be down for a little bit. Messed up something in that most recent change and knocked out my networking. Hopefully will be around an hour at most, I've got the datacenter on the line hooking up a KVM for recovery.

Last edited:
Bravo server is at 209 clients, Charlie server is at about 10 clients (I think), and Delta server will be online tomorrow.

What do the different servers mean? Bravo = Directadmin, Charlie = cPanel, Delta = Windows Hosting w/ Plesk

I feel special, I haven't had any problems with my servers. :D

Bravo server is at 209 clients, Charlie server is at about 10 clients (I think), and Delta server will be online tomorrow.

What do the different servers mean? Bravo = Directadmin, Charlie = cPanel, Delta = Windows Hosting w/ Plesk

Knock on wood.

This was just cleaning up my firewall and adjusting the filtering settings, seemed trivial. But there was an error in the configuration that cut off all network access, I had to rent a KVM for the night to reset it.

Seems to be okay again now, I've corrected the configuration.

Shouldn't that be Charlie = Cpanel, Delta = DirectAdmin, and Whiskey = Windows? : )

And oh yes, feel special... very special!

Knock on wood.

This was just cleaning up my firewall and adjusting the filtering settings, seemed trivial. But there was an error in the configuration that cut off all network access, I had to rent a KVM for the night to reset it.

Seems to be okay again now, I've corrected the configuration.

Weird Wild Stuff Seraphim. But good job on reporting. No foul so far.

Hey, I mentioned some scheduled maintenance a while ago, but due to the instability of the current OS (CentOS) the machine you are on is having, I am taking the machine down for a total overhaul and upgrading the operating system to Debian. It'll be going offline 4-5AM PST on Tuesday morning to be backed up and hopefully up and running by mid day Tuesday. Hopefully this change will lead to all-around higher stability on this machine. It'll be going down for a few minutes also a few weeks from now for some additional hardware upgrades, but those should be in a manner of minutes, rather than hours. Just thought you'd like some forewarning.

DNS NS2 and the sites on server two should remain up and running.

Last edited:
Hey, I mentioned some scheduled maintenance a while ago, but due to the instability of the current OS (CentOS) the machine you are on is having, I am taking the machine down for a total overhaul and upgrading the operating system to Debian. It'll be going offline 4-5AM PST on Tuesday morning to be backed up and hopefully up and running by mid day Tuesday. Hopefully this change will lead to all-around higher stability on this machine. It'll be going down for a few minutes also a few weeks from now for some additional hardware upgrades, but those should be in a manner of minutes, rather than hours. Just thought you'd like some forewarning.

DNS NS2 and the sites on server two should remain up and running.

You bet - because multi-hour outages are bad news for free hosts if unexplained. Also I have a weird custom file whose only copy is currently on your server, so I should get around to changing someone else's local version for a while.

Back