• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Time to rebuild my host spread

With the new tweaks the phone-board becomes:

http://taophoenix.babblehost.com/ReVision.html

Colorhost is grey, Babblehost is self-cert for mature content. I get it you're "not endorsing", my impression is that hosts are supposed to be neutral-ish amd just making business style decsions. A visitor shouldn't be cross-comparing sites for the sake of looking for something to slam, though that occasionally happens! : /

Study Links

Soon I'll have to switch my board links so that in the now Sooner-Than-Forever timeframe when I actually start telling the world I'm here, I can have a FAQ that says the order of hosts is the preferred mirror order. Also, for that purpose I'm starting to think that no one is going to get "red = able to host M-18" content and they might think it's a dead host!

Certainly the field of Free Hosting has long earned an article in my layout, so the study sequencing will be listed there in a more coherent fashion.

(Edit - I can also just orphan the original board page so that the thread here stays intact. All I'd have to do is make an alternate "mirror-order" version of the page. Also, the new wide layout won't need a Study-Results version.)

Below is the World-PhoneVersion with the hosts in approximate mirror order.

http://taophoenix.babblehost.com/ReVision-Phone.html

Last edited:
Decent. You should look up how to use CSS and Margins instead of tables and hard-coded graphics. It helps smooth things over and make it faster/lighter with current web browsers. Plus it avoids the ever common exploded table issue that happens when hand-editing a table based html.

And yes, while I do allow adult content I do not endorse that content type in any way. It's just one of those where there is a market for that type of service, and since the ad networks for it have a higher payout it's worthwhile picking up a few customers in that area when possible.

Totally right, but that's much later. I got tired of having a blank page, so I settled for something I understand even if a little clunky, so I can start writing articles.

Looks like you are doing some maintenance tonight.

Sorry, yes I did have some unexpected cPanel update maintenance go through that John didn't tell me about. (John is my associate at BabbleHost, he generally handles most of the server-side maintenance, although I help out where I can.)

EDIT: although, looking at uptime for the site, there shouldn't have been any issues accessing your site: server uptime is at 6 days.

Last edited:
Heh ... I only ask when I DO have issues! I was getting spot outages for about three hours.

Enough in fact that I began switching to a mirror from my spread, and synching. It looked like when someone with Windows -Type needs to reboot 3 times after an install of some big pack.

Last edited:
Heh ... I only ask when I DO have issues! I was getting spot outages for about three hours.

Enough in fact that I began switching to a mirror from my spread, and synching. It looked like when someone with Windows -Type needs to reboot 3 times after an install of some big pack.

Just got off the phone with the datacenter: they had some intermittent issues with the network. All should have been stable throughout the day. One of the upstream providers was having some issues, creating some packet loss.

Just got off the phone with the datacenter: they had some intermittent issues with the network. All should have been stable throughout the day. One of the upstream providers was having some issues, creating some packet loss.

Sure. And thus with that info, yeah it breaks "brittle uptime records" but vis. the paradox thread over yonder, keeps the actual business rapport going.

Sure. And thus with that info, yeah it breaks "brittle uptime records" but vis. the paradox thread over yonder, keeps the actual business rapport going.

I'm not quite sure what you're saying here? :confused4
If you're asking for verification that this was truly an issue on the part of the DC:
http://www.fdcservers.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=4679&page=3

AND tonight from 9pm-3am there will be intermittent downtime while FDC replaces the bad hardware on their network and does upgrades, although it is supposed to be very short amounts of downtime while they move uplinks
http://fdcservers.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=4682

Really sorry about this Phoenix, just got bad luck on some network troubles, although this should solve them and be good to go :) We're also in the process of securing a server setup for redundancy, in addition to our backup server.

Last edited:
Heh I have apparently been using unclear wording all day including work!

My perspective is that a host cannot claim "uptime" if any part of the supply chain goes down including the back end parts. Rather, it's more of whether it is "Innocent Downtime" or "Botch Downtime". I am fairly lenient as long as the "client-facing rep" aka you in this case simply reports in with an update. (If it's a really evil backbone dns thing or something the other hosts will chime in with the usual fascinating tidbits. )

The main thing that my methology penalizes is Silence. I don't run automated utilities, so that even gives you guys the benefit of luck. I simply rotate every few days who is lead jumppage, so when I can't reach the page is when the "clock starts ticking".

Oh, sorry. I didn't mean to claim uptime that didn't happen. I was actually unaware that there was any downtime (my site uptime script seemed to ping the server during the intermittent uptime).

Oh, sorry. I didn't mean to claim uptime that didn't happen. I was actually unaware that there was any downtime (my site uptime script seemed to ping the server during the intermittent uptime).

Speaking of downtime, I posted a note to slashdot with a mirror of some minor data in a minor thread at 3AM. So I'd be interested in a traffic report to see if *anyone* clicks on it heh.

Heh we might need to wait 5 hours for people to get up though : )

Colorhost

Are you having a blip?

I first had trouble when I posted the note above this one, and it looks like you're still down.

I just got the verizon page!
Sorry, 'www.colorhost.net' does not exist or is not available.

Whois still looks valid.

Is this a back end thing?

See, it's 'Da Silence Thang folks. Because he made me report it, the clock has started. I even humored his earlier flavor posts being interested in page development etc, by using him as one of the dev leads. So last night I barely avoided an egg as a non-existent data mirror!

He wasn't nearly as charismatic as Paradox, but 'Ya See gang, this study is about responsibility. In return for weeks/months of subtly advertised exposure, if trouble strikes ya gotta chirp up. I'm safe - I spent six months making a spread, and I have quadratic backups. Who really gets hurt is the host - if they slink away, they'll essentially never survive placing first rate ads here again.

Further Edit2:
... And he may escape with a half point knock max since he seems to be back up. Now we just need a note. So the end is he lost basically "that third round bonus" and is back to "only" the 2.7ish points standard study margin. So yes, this note is here, but it's not fatal. Per Babblehost's remark, it seems smaller hosts may not have automated reporting tools to know when something goes down and/or it's not clear if their same internet service is keeping them from reporting. So tangentially to those other threads "paid vs free service", he'd need some oomph to meet his earlier remarked goal of providing paid-only hosting.

Last edited:
Yeah, full half point deduction by this point because of the silence from Colorhost. This study is not unlike "public tickets", so this is tangential data on the customer service rate at the hosts.

Dropbox?

Are any of the hosts in the study open to installing Dropbox? It's a neat little utility that speed-synchs down from the net to nodes. Seraphim and Lost Signal, unless I'm missing something that might be really useful for your service because unlike the Cpanel loader, that Webmin manager seems to only run single files at a time except zipped, but zipped is a nuisance with many fast revisions.

Are any of the hosts in the study open to installing Dropbox? It's a neat little utility that speed-synchs down from the net to nodes. Seraphim and Lost Signal, unless I'm missing something that might be really useful for your service because unlike the Cpanel loader, that Webmin manager seems to only run single files at a time except zipped, but zipped is a nuisance with many fast revisions.

I'm not sure if you were referring to the cPanel hosts or not, but I'd be willing to give Dropbox a shot :)

Heh Brandon I'm getting increasingly unclear! I was especially thinking of those other two because it was so bad I took them off development lead, but yes, all the hosts still responsive here are urged/invited.

Now for logistics. I will PM you the username and password in a few minutes when I get to my dev machine. Otherwise it just sits there as a folder and I think all the typical panel controls should operate on it.

Back