• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Time to rebuild my host spread

Hmm. According to my Rep, I'm doing okay, but someone posted a note that they don't care for the appearance of my sample page. Okay, ya got me - I put zero effort into how nicely my text lines up on the little green sqaures; and my FAQ page has zero formatting. And I cop to scandalous laziness writing the articles on the rest of the placeholder icons. However, this is not a report. It's more like the "notebook" stage of science. That's why I haven't sent it to "review my site". I can always pay some designer $100 to spruce it up for me.

By the way, I am also studying copyright trends. Since its new revision a few months ago, the site is 99% permissive-licensed. (The 1% is my way of covering any goof I may have made.) News stories are starting to appear that lawyers are suing for copyright violations on graphics as well as music and movies. Therefore, my entire page, while exceedingly choppy, is nearly perfectly documented to be permissive use. Here I would give a shout out to the Prelinger Archive which bought Terabytes worth of 60 year old TV commercial footage, and paid for the rights to make it cleanly public domain. Some of my backgrounds are cropped snips of screen shots from those archives to replace formerly copyright-unclear graphics "used in 1999 wild west" style.

I stand by the sudy methodology itself. It's opt-in, gives hosts plenty of chances to escape undue penalties arising from the vagaries of running a business, but yet provides a realtime view of hosts maintaining existence.

Last edited:
We're still a wee bit above "none"! A couple of the round 4 or so entrants are still around, and then it's looking like the power hitter is Crosswinds / CWahi.

I might have a new type of "footnote" category. There may be a couple of hosts at which my data is still up, but that are no longer able to be recommended in the lead study. They can be found in the panel links (rather than the study's pure-sales 'linkbacks') at the bottom of the FAQ page which can be reachedby the blue FAQ button. The chief host here is IsMyWebsite, a former strong contender, who has had to rebuild several facets recently, and the owner tends not to visit here often lately.

Last edited by a moderator:
The chief host here is IsMyWebsite, a former strong contender, who has had to rebuild several facets recently, and the owner tends not to visit here often lately.
I visit here more often than you visit us.

Truce. Let's narrow "here" to especially mean my project thread. I created this as the interface between the selected hosts and the free host enthusiast community. I use the hosting services of my selected hosts daily, at a minimum of observing the dash indicators, and every few months completely loading entire new editions of my pages.

We'd love to have you back posting some notes again.

I also got a customer support answer from IsMyWebsite that the reason my dash indicator went down is that I need to make an upgrade away from a retired version of the site software, so I'll try that in a couple of days.

The requirement to transfer is simply logging into your account. This was mentioned as early back as 3 months ago on our blog, a couple weeks ago on the main website, and there were 7 days of grace before I updated the DNS system to use the new database. Even now, the only thing which is down for an untransfered website is the DNS. Your website comes back online shortly after you transfer.

I'm not sure what that post you're quoting has anything to do with this. I was expecting maybe that hosting had moved forward so there were decent services, and as a result of this the end user requirements had changed. Instead, I got a response that reminded me of 5 years ago - with remaining alive at the top of the list. That's the easy part. It's competing with the paid hosts that's tough. I was hoping more for features like our new backup manager, that's really practical and helpful. When emphasizing this I felt I 'shutdown' the discussion.

Last edited:
Great note. I'll add the clarification that what I think confused me last time is that logging into my cpanel wasn't the same as "logging into my account". Here, on the speciality of the thread, I'll remark that staying alive is still not easy, as evidenced by my little project. Since I carefully stripped out all the other variables *besides* staying alive here, I'll go over to your other side to go think about nice features.

Hi Tao,

IsMyWebsite is for serious web developers, and designed to help you manage multiple websites in ways cPanel can't hope to do. It's like having a reseller, though simpler and more flexible to host on different servers. The new features give you even more control over your websites.

You really miss a lot if you just log directly into cPanel. That's basically what every host has.

Sounds like I should upgrade a bit then. I'm still using year old templates on my site.

There's going to be quite a few changes from me still to come, but I doubt my stubbornness to a cause will ever change.

Back