• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Time to rebuild my host spread

Hallo Azoundria.
I'm learning all kinds of interesting things while I do this. To avoid total chaos, I'm not comparing features, and standard customers may not be able to get all of the package specs I have for the study host entries. That is because hosts remarket themselves however they like all the time and it would lead to squabbling like "Well, I'll see your 3 SQL databases and a Thanksgiving Turkey and trade you 7 CronJobs, Fantastico, and a Christmas Ham". Companies can easily do "new divisions" so if the base company is doing fine, the offering spread can evolve later.

I do think that when I start reeling off checkpoint markers, I'll have categories of "exact package available" vs. "Premium account".
Send me anything I need to get started. Just make sure the disk is at least 1GB.

Good to hear that you consider other factors too tao :)
Btw azoundria , we all have many opinions .

@tao Regarding your justification on management's attempt to influence their rating based on the special add ons they have given you doesn't satisfy me .
Agreed it shows their ability to promote their product .
But it's definitely not the case that they'll be offering everyone the same favour .
As we see many hosts going to the extent of overriding their inactivity limits , i don't feel they'll be doing the same for most of the general public(Take me for example . Today i request such a package and i'll be denied , coz here it's not about promoting their product . This is what's gonna happen with almost all ppl) .
Your ratings should be from the point of view of the general public , not just yourself .
And if it's meant only from your point of view then it isn't what ppl should be interested in , and such ratings should not be posted on public forums , you should simply note em down somewhere on a piece of paper instead .
Coz it's irrelevant to the ppl .
And if it has to be relevant to ppl , it has to be impartial .
It should only take into account what the host is willing to offer to every single person who comes to them .

Plz remember i mean no offence to you or anyone , i'm just speaking out my feelings regarding this affair .
And i appreciate your efforts in finding good hosts , but i also feel special coupons or favors on you , etc. shouldn't be counted since it's not what the host generally offers to ppl to whom this thread should be relevant to .
Hope you understand .

Br,
Aloycasmir

IsMyWebsite

Hi TaoPhoenix,

Signup is here: http://join.ismywebsite.com/

It should be fast and easy to get it set up (and no faster for me to do it for you). Besides, I want to know what you think of the signup process, since you have a lot to say about everything. :)

I'll definitely tag this to be added. It's going to be tight before the holidays, but over a week or so it'll happen.

Aloycasmir, I like your spirit of discussion.
Re: "General Public" you'd just need to pick off the side of the chart "exact package available". The reason I did this above is that I am doing a host-survival test. The hosts themselves post offers of all shapes and sizes every week, so getting you set up would happen eventually. What they offer for specs any particular month is totally at the whim of the host, so that's why I'm staying out of that. Server freezes hit any and all plans.

Assuming the host doesn't completely fall off the scale, it's a downtime test. So by being on a premium coupon and the host still goes down helps ensure that stays conservative.

Glad to know you took it positively :)
Agreed about the fact that you're not considering features they offer .
But the inactivity limit is my prime concern .
You know , some hosts do offer to override the inactivity timer particularly for you .
It might not happen with the rest of us :)

What do you think about this one :D

Activity Timers

Glad to know you took it positively
You know , some hosts do offer to override the inactivity timer particularly for you .
It might not happen with the rest of us

What do you think about this one

"Give me 6 months to work on that".
Decide on a host and then ask them. They create a blanket design to protect themselves from junk signups. But I am promoting that for users who show sincerity, activity timers should go down to say once a year, but def not "30 days".

Selected your host!

Glad to know you took it positively :)
It might not happen with the rest of us :)

What do you think about this one :D

I have already chosen your host for you. Talk to Darksoul of Paradox Servers. He uses almost as many smileys as you do. Ask for the bonus feature - "A Torment a day keeps the blues away".

http://www.paradoxservers.net/

Free Webby Space For All!

Lol
Nice one :D
Pm sent . And mentioned your referral , you should be expecting some more benefits :lol:

Hehe. I'll trade direct "stats" for broader karma across my project. I was just thinking a small spillover to my project is I can get a little inter-host unity. Some hosts want page hits, some want to reduce bandwidth, so a few client trades might work.

That's why my fairly simple graphic can't be stretched too far into "how far down" because they vary at the intangibles.

IsMyWebsite ...

Okay, first up, this weird page listing multiple variants on your name is pretty scary because I believe it encourages web identity diffusion. I don't approve of "Joe6" "Joe12" "JoeM4" stuff because that's what Spam-Scammers use.

From the signup email

"The description you enter is VERY IMPORTANT. It helps us to determine your potential, and allocate you the most appropriate server. We have limited server resources, so some applications will be denied. All descriptions must be in cohesive English, and should be 3-4 sentences in length. If you can't explain why your site is unique and worth the time of a potential visitor, then speaking from 3 years of experience with web hosting, there is NO HOPE for you. You are wasting your time."

Nope. From a figurative page 12 of Intro to Business 101: I'm a client. This is a buyer's market despite the seller tricks. You need me, I don't need you. WORSE, you just insulted my website before even finding out what it is! Define the problem you are trying to solve and reverse the metric. If you're that scared of 90-10 abuse where some twerp hoses the capacity, make it a double barrelled signup. Make it "All accounts have a max CPU % to start. To request an exemption, THEN write your sentences."

"As a final note, repeated here for those who didn't read the rules. To delete your account, you NEED to tell us what you thought of the service, and most specifically, what sort of problem you ran into. And naturally, we will aim to solve your problem and leave you with no reason to delete your account. This is because we care. If you don't like this policy, then please do not activate your account."

More aggressive stuff. AOL ran into this actually, and got pulverized for it. If I want to delete my account, if I don't just remove my files, make it like the TrashBin - an email to send it there and compress the backup, and a second one to confirm final delete of the backup. If you get one user who churns his account, hang on tight and then try to help after he's back.

Last edited:
"Community Signup"

Heh - Okay, I have to go easy on this one.

I hate communities. 1 in 100 works brilliantly, the rest are varying degrees of unhappy.

I recommend you make a standard signup with low specs, and then "sign up for the upgrade". If your goal is to cut down on account churn, just put protective measures in place.

It so happens I have nothing of interest to anyone else YET on my page, yet I'm not being given a choice about it being made public. Release to the community needs to be OptIn.

So there's my submittal. Waiting for you.

BrandonsGames DBA _____

Hmm. Unfortunately this is exactly what my study looks for. All the guys here are pleasant enough, but this kind of churn is pretty rough on customers. I'm starting to get an idea to use the right side of my grid as "private coupon" to show that someone may exist but not be generally available on an even par with the others.

Ad Experiment!

Hi Tao,

...Unfortunately, we're ad supported...

Back to an idea I had a couple years ago ... Banner Royal Rumble!

Ever notice you're reading a nice little remark about the comparative psychology of free web branding when

:evilb: your :welcome: attention is brutally :jump: ripped away :bkick: and your concentration is shot????? :crying5:

That's what ads tend to do.

"Pick on content your own size, meanie!"

OKAY!

Let's make an area entirely full of ads! Glorious ads! I'm no pagerank expert though, so I'd need some advice to avoid sinking it. But I have a theory that when done to ludicrous extremes it will become a cult hit.

Back