• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Time to rebuild my host spread

Okay :) I'll set it up later tonight (around midnight CST) so that nobody should be disturbed if I need to do a reboot when compiling/installing (although i don't believe I need to do that). I'll let you know when I get it setup. :)

I don't think you have to reboot because I didn't on any of 3 machines. But with great effort I'll refrain from whining like a child. : )

Actually no. I am carefully segregating the "permissions" so to speak. Just like access to my files is not public, we won't use the public box. It's just a way to power-upload stuff which then becomes a typical part of the host pages. But good question, creds for asking.

P.S. Depending on Seraphim and Lost Signal's co-status, you're in the running for the replacement of Paradox's old spot of "Fast Service" award. For what modest amount it's worth, it's saying that since you'll never roll back the clock 10 years to catch CWahi Crosswinds, you need another niche. They too have also shown some interest.

Unfortunately, Colorhost is rapidly approaching 2nd tier from lack of response. He's still on the board, but won't be Dev lead for a while.

When/where? The only issue I have had reported lately was one of my customers having a DNS problem, which appears to have been coming from his registrar.

Hmm. Well that's bizarre. Will correct it asap.

Edit: Apparently my httpd was down. It's back up now, Will check into what caused it asap.

Last edited:
Whoops!

Looks like the domain lostsignalweb.com expired on me out of nowhere.

The renewal's in progress, but it might be showing an ad page for a couple of hours until everything is reset for me.

Well, so be it. Babblehost got too busy to win the SpeedService award.

Also, IsMyWebsite seems to be glitching.

No one else wants to install dropbox?

Last edited:
Lost Signal, please PM me the correct link to log into my account. I'm getting an error but I can't say for sure I didn't scramble the link.

Edit: found where you described it.

Yes, please do set that up if you feel you need it. I also find the Virtualmin file manager to be very frustrating, but usually it's not an issue for me because I SFTP everything anyway.

Let me know if you need anything configured on my end for it.

Last edited:
Lost Signal, please PM me the correct link to log into my account. I'm getting an error but I can't say for sure I didn't scramble the link.

PM sent, also - I already use Dropbox's limited Linux backup client for some very important data, that resides in a TrueCrypt volume for emergencies. I plan to use something akin to Amazon Simple Storage System (Amazon S3) or a NAS provided by my DC to back up in the future.

Are you asking if we would put a backup of your site on DropBox, or provide you backups to a dropbox of yours or something? I can arrange that.

I can also schedule Webmin to e-mail or save a backup for you on a schedule.
Webmin's backup system might not be as simple as I'd like, but it's very powerful, such as it's several different archive choices, remote backup and incremental backup configurations.

If Webmin gives you a hard time - you might want to read this helpful guide:

http://www.virtualmin.com/documentation/users/server-owner

This might make some things a bit easier for you.

Here's some more info on backups in Virtualmin.

http://www.virtualmin.com/documentation/system/backup-and-restore

Last edited:
Edit: found where you described it.

Yes, please do set that up if you feel you need it. I also find the Virtualmin file manager to be very frustrating, but usually it's not an issue for me because I SFTP everything anyway.

Let me know if you need anything configured on my end for it.

Last I understood I do need each volunteering host to install DropBox because it's an executable. Its purpose is less for backups, because I do a pretty good job of that, but more for speed-loading pages. So Seraphim, try installing it and then let's work through the blips. I'd like to try it this weekend.

Are you asking if we would put a backup of your site on DropBox...

Yes, I am interested in more of the live-synch aspect of Dropbox, so you'd have to install it as a typical executing program. Though to my knowledge once it finishes a synch it sits there and does nothing exciting aka little server drain.

Per the other note, I do a really good job on backups - this is more for rollout.

I'd like to try it this weekend if possible and I expect it would take a couple tries to get right. Esp. see Seraphim chimed in too, that starts to give you the idea - rollout of "fresh pages".

Yes, I am interested in more of the live-synch aspect of Dropbox, so you'd have to install it as a typical executing program. Though to my knowledge once it finishes a synch it sits there and does nothing exciting aka little server drain.

Per the other note, I do a really good job on backups - this is more for rollout.

I'd like to try it this weekend if possible and I expect it would take a couple tries to get right. Esp. see Seraphim chimed in too, that starts to give you the idea - rollout of "fresh pages".

The issue with that is that if you upload something to Dropbox, there's no Linux client that you can use to access your files. So someone with server level access would have to put the files in your account, from the dropbox drive.

If you saw a completely different post, I misunderstood you and redacted my earlier post. I've been a little sick, and not been present lately.

Usually Dropbox is a sync for backing up TO dropbox, not FROM it, is the problem.

Last edited:
Dropbox technical issues?

This is where I have to bow to my technical superiors, but try to bear with me. The prime use I get from Dropbox IS in fact synching "from". From an end-user perspective, suppose I install it on two local machines, say the home desktop and my machine at work.

If I drag something into the "linked folder" at home, it goes "up, then down", and pseudo-magically appears on my work machine. So I was presuming that there was some "master address" like (In Windows) C:\Users\Clients\Tao\Public\ and then the same menu tree I see. So if the dropbox link was parked there, it would just act as a node down to the same area I get to if I used the regular client.

If anyone thinks it would actually work, chime in. If I'm just another confused client, uh... be polite? : )

I think it is possible to set up dropbox on a per-user basis to automatically sync like he is talking about. Just based on the windows client behavior, which I installed on one of my local systems to see what exactly it does.

Would have to read into how to perform the same function using the Linux CLI version, and then figure out a way to automate the process so it either maintains a daemon for it or does a polling check. Will experiment with this, since if it can be done dropbox would solve the dilemna I have of keeping both copies of my website in sync when developing new code for it.

Last edited:
Back