• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Transferring site/files from one domain to another

GeorgeB

Chairman/CEO TMCG
NLC
I am wanting to move my entire site and all the files from one domain to another, on the same hosting account. I want to still be able to use the same MSQL files etc.

What is the best way of accomplishing this. Never have done it before, and want to ensure that I do it right. Thanks.

It really just depends on the environment. Moving the files should be easy, or you can ask your host to do it for you since they'd have root access to the box and could move the entire directory in a matter of seconds using a single command. mySQL databases are usually set up with prefixes in shared hosting, so you may have to download the database and import it. Again... it really depends on the environment, and your host could also assist you with this. Worst case scenario, you'd have to edit your scripts' config files and change a few minor details like file paths or mySQL db credentials.

I was able to successfully do it through the file system in cpanel. Did it once in the past and something went wrong, but luckily this time, it all went good.

Back