• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Upgraded my netbook's RAM to 2 GB...

DarkBlood

NLC
NLC
So I upgraded my netbook's RAM to 2 GB 667MHz Stick (from 1 GB 533 MHz Stick). It doesn't go any faster than it did before, but it goes faster than it did on some applications, battery drainage still is about the same sadly.

So why does RAM make some computers better, while others... it basically does nothing?

Maybe because you aren't using that much RAM compared to what you were? I know when I updated mine by 1GB from 512MB, I noticed a high speed boost because I kept reaching my RAM limit.

Yeah, probably. I can't believe though that my Video RAM can go a max of 128 MB =/ (According to Toshiba Specs, it can be allocated to 256 MB total as by Windows. Probably vista though.)

It's because Atom is a wimpy processor! The RAM is not the bottleneck in those netbooks - after all, they only run Windows XP. Instead, the problem is the system bus (not wide enough) and processor (single core and dinky-slow). I owned a netbook for about 2 months and got rid of it because they haven't finished developing them yet! ;)

The speed always depends on the whole computer and what application you runs.A good cpu but a useless mainboard won't make any sense.And some application uses cpu fully but less RAM.
Hope it helps.

Back