• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Uptime guarantee

sander k

NLC
Why do most (web) host give an uptime guarantee? Some even of 100%!

I used to have an uptime guarantee as well, but it is kind of bullsh*t. As you can't guarantee anything, all kinds of things can happen like a terrorist attack or what ever.

Shouldn't the hosting industrie let this guarantee go? Do potential clients even look at it?

99.9% uptime means roughly 3.5 days out of a 365.24 day year there could be down time.

Simply put, 100% Uptime means the site is mirrored, DNS ns1, ns2, ns3, ns4, ns5 ... and hosted from multiple drives.

So advertising that uptime is actually correct. Servers do need to be rebooted for performance and maintenance. But all terms of Service indicate this or if a catastrophe was to occur, then the uptime guarantee is not applicable. No one can predict if a meteor will fall into our atmosphere, as an example.

Shaun

I think guarantee is the wrong word. We guarantee 99.99%, for example, but if we fall below that, we issue credit/refund, etc. That's what most hosts mean by the guarantee, is that when they fall below that percentage, credit is given.

I think guarantee is the wrong word. We guarantee 99.99%, for example, but if we fall below that, we issue credit/refund, etc. That's what most hosts mean by the guarantee, is that when they fall below that percentage, credit is given.

Is that an automated proces? Or do clients have to complain?

Is that an automated proces? Or do clients have to complain?

With us, it just depends. Generally, we're pretty good about proactively giving credit. The only service we monitor externally is Port 80 (http), so if another service goes down, our internal monitoring system has to catch it. Unfortunately, that doesn't always happen, because cPanel can be silly sometimes, so we rely on the clients to bring it to our attention.

@wswd That is a great point. Most clients will bring an issue forward when they spot one.

cPanel does act up from time to time.

Shaun

The uptime is a target for them and what they strive to do. It's what they think they can do. Think of it like new year's resolution or a set of goals. They try to put in measures to make it happen.

An other question then. Should FWS forbid advertising with 100%? As it is clearly impossible.

It depends on host. If they are monitoring servers strictly i don't think, 100% uptime gurantee is wrong thing to advertise.

100% uptime is possible maybe sometime even demanding, when servers are maintained under an industrial context and host critical applications such as banking systems.
An computer at a Hungarian television is reported having 16 years of uptime. The computer runs the channel's Teletext!!!

Back