• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Urgent! for Hurricane Katrina Wiki - need space & bandwidth

college-student

this is for a humanitarian purpose, some of us are the SEA EAT Bloggers:

disk space needed is 600mb
bandwisth for the first week: 15gb
afterwhich we just need it to go down to about 5-6gb per month.

OS should be linux, we'll putting up a wiki on it, same concept as tsunamihelp.blogspot.com

domain hosting please.

your reply is appreciated.

We know this is loads to ask for free, but it is for a humanitarian cause.

we'll put a text link back to you on every page of the wiki and any thing else like a blog on the site.

If there are any people out there who'd like to give us sponsored hosting, now's the time to do so, we don't mind google adsense banners at the bottom of each page or the side banners.

This is an URGENT request, please please help us out.

Last edited:
No offense but Hurricane Katrina will be over and done with in a few days at the most. I am sure no one is going to want to re live it. Of course depending on what your intentions are obviously.

Regards,

Romeo18 said:
No offense but Hurricane Katrina will be over and done with in a few days at the most. I am sure no one is going to want to re live it. Of course depending on what your intentions are obviously.

Regards,

Thanks to everyone who replied, we got disk space and bandwidth needed with StaticHost in the UK chipping in and the SEA EAT blogger's tsunamihelp server in Amsterdam - we're both pooling server resources:

Several founders and members of the (www.tsunamihelp.info) SEAEAT (South East Asian Earthquake And Tsunami) blog & wiki, which gained worldwide attention in the Boxing Day Tsunami of 2004, have remobilized on 3 continents to aid in Hurricane Katrina. Please check out their efforts at www.katrinahelp.info and add any useful information there!

Congratulations. Although why add what I said in your post? Hope that stuff helped you.

Regards,

Which sane host in the world would allow shell access as root to the server so that they can setup media wiki?

They had an account with us initially but when they started asking for root and we didnt gave them, they went for other host after we advised them to go for a dedicated instead.

They wanted root access to the server to setup media wiki (as root? :wink2: ) and we turned them down. You willing to give them root access?

amz said:
Just contact me, we'll set you up ...

Couldn't tell you myself but whoever did it, isn't really smart. Once you do that they have access to everything I believe.

Regards,

I think what AMZ was meaning for them to contact him and he would set them up with the hosting they were looking for. I highly doubt he was meaning he would give them root access.

Regards,

They claimed that media wiki needs root access to tweak httpd.conf before they can be installed but I took a look at the wiki site and no where did I find the need to tweak httpd.conf

Maybe for better server performance? :biggrin2:

Romeo18 said:
Couldn't tell you myself but whoever did it, isn't really smart. Once you do that they have access to everything I believe.

Regards,

Possibly but I would just get the hosting company to do it, if that is the case and they have them upload it to my site for me. Root access as you know I am sure is giving access to every file underneath it. Not a smart thing to do.

Regards,

Thats exactly what we offered them but they refused. We offered to tweak if needed but they wanted their own "experts" to do it, so we had to turn them down and advised them to move to someone who is more willing.

Either they have gotten themselves a dedicated or static is plain stupid!

Root access? No way!

Last edited:
Root access to the server? Might as well give them the entire server!

BTW, are they collecting donations? I smell a rat asking for root, creying urgency and then taking their time to run from host to host if what netcafe and the others say is true.

Thanks to everyone who offered their assistance in aiding the KatrinaHelp team in securing a stable server. The KatrinaHelp Wiki & Network is now housed at Internet2 (www.internet2.edu) at the University of Michigan with network administration provided by the AsiaQuake DB (www.asiaquake.org) team in Amsterdam and the VOIP communications server provided by Skype and the core team from the SEA EAT (tsunamihelp.info) Wiki and Blog (tsunamihelp.blogspot.com).

Since August 28th todate, the KatrinaHelp team have been operating on a 24 hour basis over 3 continents, and they have coordinated and placed 3 major projects on their server and wiki, namely, the People Finder project (katrinalist.net) by SalesForce and CivicSpace Labs, the Shelter Finder (www.dosima.org/katrina/) project and the Open Source People Finder project (www.katrinahelp.info/rdata/). There are many ongoing communications projects and if you'd like to get involved with these please check out katrinahelp.info for the details.

To those of you who thought the KatrinaHelp project was a scam, sorry but you were terribly mislead and wrong! To those of you who thought the KatrinaHelp team were collecting donations but interpreted it as foul play, please do take a look at their donations page which has been put up and handled in a transparent manner with monitoring by Tr-Ac-Net (The Transparency and Accountability Network) headquartered in New York and Chennai.

Hope this clears up any doubts and if you do have any further questions feel free to contact the KatrinaHelp team on katrinahelp.info@gmail.com or call them at +1-504-208-1564. Their lines may be busy as it usually is with handling disaster relief coordination calls, however, you may leave a voice mail message with your number and they will get back to you.

Thanks FWS for the assistance provided and being provided during katrina and rita relief operations.

Last edited:
http://cyberkit.biz

700MB Storage Space
10GB Bandwidth
unlimited FTP Accounts
unlimited Accounts
unlimited Lists
unlimited MySQL Database
PHP Enabled
Frontpage Extentions
cPanel (Fantastico coming soon)
(40 Posts)