• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

VeriSign resolves all non-registered .coms and .nets to a search site

Originally posted by notnamed
I think my ISP might have blocked it...but I get timeouts instead of name not founds.

The first patch that came out wasn't too good, but Bind is releasing a patch (or released it as of last night).

But I don't think we should have to modify our systems to go AROUND them.. I think they should remove the wildcard DNS.

Originally posted by Robert
The first patch that came out wasn't too good, but Bind is releasing a patch (or released it as of last night).

But I don't think we should have to modify our systems to go AROUND them.. I think they should remove the wildcard DNS.

Yeah you can read the full article of this BIND patch over at wired here

I totally agree with you Robert, we shouldn't modify our system around their outrageos, stupid and desperation driven control of the root .com and .net servers.

I think the US govournment should revoke the privlidge Verisign have been given...

You can sign an online petition here if you want (there's allready about 11,000 sigs, and going up fast)

FireBird is not giving error messages anymore, but instead is redirecting me to the said page. This got me angry, as now my spam filters to stop spammers from sigining up amass on my site is dead.

Well, Verisign are getting sued!!!!

Apparently, a company called Popular Enterprises, LLC. have filed a lawsuit against Verisign for all this.

SOURCE

Verisign's voice, Brian O'Shaughnessy, said they have not yet seen the lawsuit and doesn't comment on pending litigation.

Interesting, It was only a matter of time I guess...

On an unrelated topic, how do I get an avatar happening, like you guys?

This is like you buy your property, but all those that are not sold belong to me. Also, I heard somewhere that they reserve the domains which are not registered yet register a high amount of hits for a higher price. Also Trenz, quit with the W3C thing already.

Originally posted by Peo
Maybe you don't see it since some isp's block it as jason posted? I still see it and I think it is a very bad thing. Hope my isp block it soon.

Can someone post some articles about them earning millions of dollars per day?
looks like my isp blocked them. here is the best article i could find on 'projected' earnings.

http://www.cbronline.com/latestnews/d04afc52ae9da2ee80256d9c0018be8b

It's difficult to determine exactly how much revenue VeriSign could create. Back-of-the-envelope calculations suggest that VeriSign could create revenue of $1m per day for itself and partners if it could convert 0.3% of its error messages into paid clicks.

That's based on estimates (from Afilias's Mohan) that VeriSign's .com and .net registry returns about 800 million error messages a day, and the average pay-per-click of $0.40 reported by paid search leader Overture Services Inc in the second quarter 2003.

I was only using a workstation using winXP today, and IE, that I saw it...

But look at this:

VeriSign spokesman Brian O'Shaughnessy said:
"Twenty million times a day on our network, people mistype domains and don't get what they're looking for," he said." (source)

Last edited:
Originally posted by Riverworld
I was only using a workstation using winXP today, and IE, that I saw it...

But look at this:

VeriSign spokesman Brian O'Shaughnessy said:
"Twenty million times a day on our network, people mistype domains and don't get what they're looking for," he said." (source)

Still, absolutely no reason to redirect all traffic to your own site, and break our anti spam tools.

Originally posted by X-Istence
Still, absolutely no reason to redirect all traffic to your own site, and break our anti spam tools.

I was pointing out the 20,000,000.00 hits they get per day... someone said it was a million above...

What they did was not illegal. It was just a "hole" in this DNS that nobody ever saw and VeriSign, with the power they have and they money, to advantage of it. But must be confused because they don't own the Internet [anymore] or domain services.

I'm glad ICANN is taking into consideration in removing the wildcard DNS.

Back