• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Virginia Shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
It isn't the gun that kills people - people kill people.

Yes, but guns make it a whole lot easier, as demonstrated last week. Imagine if the US Government made high explosives readily available ... its the same thing, except that would never happen in america.

In Australia, there are no "jail-style" security in univeristies and there has been few (if any) gun-related violence in schoolyard/university campuses. Why? Because guns are illegal here if you aren't licenced to own one.

People say guns don't kill people, people do. However, only a very small percentage people in society have access to black markets. I do not believe (and there has been no report in news ) of Cho having access to black markets.
By legalising civilian ownership of guns, you are giving EVERYONE easy access to weaponaries. There is no regulation of guns falling into the wrong hands. Sure, a small proportion of the society have underground association, but the overall percentage is extremely small.

The argument of everyone owning guns so that in the rare circumstances of violence, you can shoot the criminals back does not justify the hugely increased access to dangerous weapons to general public.

Anyway, if I have a choice to live in USA or Australia, you know which one I am going to choose... purely to live longer :p

My city has a pretty darn good Black Market for weaponry, even though gunlaws here in Georgia are pretty relaxed.

Another thing I haven't seen mentioned here is Giuliani. I mean what exactly did he do as a mayor that was credited with reducing crime rates and homicides in New York? You guessed it. Gun control helped reduce NY crime.

You are apparently naive to the United States. Any native person from New York will tell you the horrible gun problem the back streets of New York have, and they have one of the worst black markets as well. NY crime is higher then ever. It continues to worsen.

And the source for those numbers would be?

Any old shmo can write a book, please tell us which.

Again you guys are kissing the rears of politicians. Why don't you quote a study not from a government official? Probably because you can't find one that's been paid off.

Again you guys are kissing the rears of politicians. Why don't you quote a study not from a government official? Probably because you can't find one that's been paid off.

What the hell are you on about? Most polititions I couldn't trust with a tenner as most are lying cheating scumbags.

I'm not going to trust a source I know nothing about either - ie that book that all we know about it is the fact that it was written.

What the hell are you on about? Most polititions I couldn't trust with a tenner as most are lying cheating scumbags.

I'm not going to trust a source I know nothing about either - ie that book that all we know about it is the fact that it was written.

Peo and Jan's proof are from governments. Peo's is the New York Mayor. Jan's is the Australian government. Why should you belive the group that initiated the laws. Of course they want to see that their legislation helped the country. Fact is they are leaving out all the other variables.

Actually right there is where you're wrong.. if there's no reason for governments to continue failed laws, why would they lie about them being successful?

Actually right there is where you're wrong.. if there's no reason for governments to continue failed laws, why would they lie about them being successful?

China...
Soviet Union...
Nazi German....
Most corrupt African nations....
UN

You don't keep up with much on governments do you? :confused4

Murder have decreased by 73 % in NY from 1990 to 2005. All other violent crimes show the same trend. Source.

NYC Is Safest City as Crime Rises in U.S., FBI Says Source

Any old shmo can write a book, please tell us which.

Lol, "any shmo can write a book"? Not any shmo can write a book that will be published. Also not any shmo can get their book into a university's library.

Get it right, any shmo can make a website yes, not write a book.

And the information I provided is FACT, you can use whatever source you want for data regarding crime rates for those years. Then use any source you want to find out when the laws I mentioned were put into effect. Don't take my word for it, do your own research.

Murder have decreased by 73 % in NY from 1990 to 2005. All other violent crimes show the same trend. Source.

NYC Is Safest City as Crime Rises in U.S., FBI Says Source

Crime does not ONLY = murder; crime = breaking and entering, or illegal drinking, or street racing and a whole slew of other things.

Murder Rate is not rising in the US, it has been quite steady with fluctuating within 0.1 per 100,000.

New York has a murder rate of 4.5 in 2005 and is in the middle in terms of murders per 100,000 of the pack in that year. North Dakota has the lowest murder rate at only 1.1 per 100,000 (which has actually risen from 0.9 in 1995).

EDIT: The source for all that is " FBI Uniform Crime Statistics for 2005 (Published Sept, 2006)"

Last edited:

Do you have any idea how politics works? From that statement it seems you do not.

I don't mind having a discussion about this topic but please DO NOT talk about things that you do not know anything about. I don't mean to be rude or anything but simply saying, make your arguments based on what you know.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

That has to be the funniest thing I have ever read in my entire life!

Crime = Any act which is punishable by law.

Last time I checked you could go to jail for murder or was I imagining that?

:doh!: :lol:
Lol, your right. I didn't word that correctly. I meant: crime doesn't ONLY include murder.

Even more for data:

D.C.'s population in 1960 was 763,956 and had a recorded 81 murders. In 2005, the state had a population of 550,521 but an increased number of murders at 195 recorded. So to summarize that:

In a state where it is illegal to buy, sell, or transport hand guns the number of murders has increased by 240 times while the population has actually decreased by approx. 30%.

Go figure.

Last edited:
allanh, your arguments are kind of all over the place....you start by saying "People say guns don't kill people, people do" and then you go to "However, only a very small percentage people in society have access to black markets. "....I fail to see how they connect. Guns killing and black markets are too different topics.

I never said that everyone owning guns was a good idea I said it only works in THEORY and not in practice.

The US allows people to own guns if they are 1) a legal citizen 2) have no previous criminal record 3) the seller of the gun deems him/her to be capable

Most countries base gun licenses on the same criterias, not all but most do.

And you know what happened in US history when they tried to make alchole illegal a long time ago? Crime went up, black market took over and nearly destroyed the country. Guns can very quickly turn into the same situation.

Very big generalization; very big words.

I am not even going to attempt trying to pick apart these arguments. No worth my time :D

really? Most countries? Most of the countries I have been to do NOT allow civilians to own guns

I am not even going to attempt trying to pick apart these arguments. No worth my time :D

really? Most countries? Most of the countries I have been to do NOT allow civilians to own guns

Err...I'm lost. I was saying that the regulations put into place by the US is similar to regulations for licenses from most countries so it is really the same thing but a lot faster process.

Go ahead pick apart my points. What are you going to do? Deny that when the US banned alcohol everyone went across the border to smuggle it back into the US which lead to a of crimes due to competition and almost ruined the economy?

Or the things I said was required to get a gun?

I like a good discussion and if I'm wrong then please tell me.

According to the 1997 Survey of State Prison Inmates, among those possessing a gun, the source of the gun was from:

* a flea market or gun show for fewer than 2%
* a retail store or pawnshop for about 12%
* family, friends, a street buy, or an illegal source for 80%
- U.S. Department of Justice (http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/guns.htm)

Seems only a very small portion of offenders owning a gun used a legal way to purchase theirs.

Keeps me wondering why this debate doesn't seem to end.

Eight years ago, after I received an invitation from the Japanese government to study in Japan as a scholar, I moved from the apartment I was then renting back to my mother's home. The last thing I was able to move was a pair of scissors and a kitchen knife, I put it inside my bag and on my way home I dropped by the Japanese embassy to get my student visa. I surrendered my bag to the police officers who were guarding the embassy and told them what were inside.

After getting my passport with 4 years study visa, I went straight to the guard house to get my bag. To my astonishment, the police officer took out the scissors and knife from my bag and didn't return them to me. I said, hey! Why the hell!? I spent around 10 minutes convincing the officer that I am not such an insane one not worth of carrying them. I am a scholar. Few days more and I'll be a representative of our dear country studying abroad. Rest assured I am not after even a petty crime.

But the officer just said,
"I gave you two options, you leave these to me or you go away with them but the moment you stepped a few meters away I'll arrest you for illegal possession of deadly weapon."

Oh, I have no time to debate and prove how sane I was. It's just insane.

It's not about you or me, it's about the "deadly weapon" which in this thread's case is a gun. More lethal than a pair of scissor or a kitchen knife. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back