• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Virus

Moonman

NLC
Not sure if you have heard of it or not, so i thought id share the one i just got emailed.

Subject:RE: Wicked Screensaver

Message Body:
See the attached file for details

Attachments:
your_document.pif

Not sure what the virus is, anyone have any ideas?

Originally posted by Moonman
Nice. Too bad that person who opened it before me is such a moron, but hey :).

What I cannot figure out is.. people will spend a thousand or two on a computer, but not $45 on anti-virus to protect their PC?

Yesterday I had to fix a lady's laptop. She had.. in the end over 200 viruses, 900 spyware programs/files.

She had the mblaster as well... and it was a brand new PC.

Took me over 6 hours to remove all the viruses.. she didn't want to format.

Originally posted by Robert
What I cannot figure out is.. people will spend a thousand or two on a computer, but not $45 on anti-virus to protect their PC?

Yesterday I had to fix a lady's laptop. She had.. in the end over 200 viruses, 900 spyware programs/files.

She had the mblaster as well... and it was a brand new PC.

Took me over 6 hours to remove all the viruses.. she didn't want to format.

Well, i wouldnt trust just cleaning it anymore these days.

Why buy antivirus?
I never used it because I always find the virus within the first 5 minutes after getting it.
And to get rid, for good, of the virus, I install a new version of windows in less than 5 minutes (I use a backup). I do this since the antivirus cannot, in some cases, get rid of the virus completely.

Originally posted by cbp
I do this since the antivirus cannot, in some cases, get rid of the virus completely.
The whole purpose of the anti virus is NOT to remove the virus, it is to stop the virus infecting your PC in the first place. A virus scanner always kept up to date, will always keep your PC secure.

Originally posted by Wojtek
Why do people make viruses anyways?
Because they are twisted :confused2 And may harbour a secret prison fetish which will be achieved once they are caught. :devious2:

Most write Viruses, since they think its cool or want to revenge someone like a teacher of theirs. But they dont write a mechanism into the virus that stop its from spreading.

Then it spreads all over the world, and you got a global problem.

Originally posted by Moonman
Nice. Too bad that person who opened it before me is such a moron, but hey :).
You only need one person to get infected, it will send it to address book. For example

A is infected. His address book has B.

B address book has C.

C address book has D.

Therefore, B, C and D will all get the virus mail and so on.

but only if b and c each open the attachment will c and d both receive the virus email...anyway, how do you find the virus on your comp to remove it? and how do you know you've removed it completely?

Really I don't think there is a way to know you've completly removed the virus unless you reformat.

Personally i am enjoying Clam AV. Any email incoming will be scanned first then delivered, and any virus just gets dropped faster than anything else.

I also run Clam AV over the documents i share with windows, to look for viruses as well, have yet to get a virus so its all good :)

its funny cuz i don't have ne1 in my addy book.. i remember all the email addys i need to know

Back