• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

VoIP = wow :)

Wojtek

W as in Whisky
NLC
So I was walking downtown yesterday when one of those mobile advertisement trucks pases by with some telephone advertisement.
www.teliphone.ca to be exact :)

If you remember a while back there was a thread in wich some of us talked about how cool it would be to have a cell phone that would act like a landline phone inside the house.

prayers are answered with teliphone VoIP phone :)

http://teliphone.ca/products/teliphoneiPCS-rates.asp?lang=0
http://teliphone.ca/products/comparision.asp?lang=0

so for 50$ get 250 anytime minutes and unlimited phone usage at home and various hotspots around town. Same Number :)

I dig that, plus you can use any unlocked gsm phone, cool :)

That's rather pricey, considering that doesn't included unlimited calling within North America, like so many other providers offer.

Or maybe it does, and I just calculated the package wrong. :p

I think I'll stick to land line phones. If I wanted VoIP I could just use ventrilo or skype...

You already have to jam things in your ear if you want to drive and use your cell here in New York. :p

Man, we are so far behind. VoIP hasn't even gone mainstream in corporate here. And the few residential services available seem pretty expensive. This is probably tied with 256kbps dsl still being the standard internet connection.

Right now phone-VoIP (notice the distinction, VoIP only means scalable voice over the Internet and that can be accomplished a thousand different ways) is useless until it gets standardized with all the regular phone services...the x11s. You gotta pay extra for those, unless you get ones from the telcos (hell, they might even charge).

bozley05 said:
Man, we are so far behind. VoIP hasn't even gone mainstream in corporate here. And the few residential services available seem pretty expensive. This is probably tied with 256kbps dsl still being the standard internet connection.

Because you live on some huge --- island disconnected from the civilized world. You're exactly where you should be.

Daniel said:
Because you live on some huge --- island disconnected from the civilized world. You're exactly where you should be.
Ouch!

We are civilized, it's just our Population:Land Mass ratio is 5 People per square Mile with people scattered all over the place, which makes infrastructure expensive to setup. So we wait till its old and cheap :)

But saying this, Canada only has 7 people per square mile, with a population only 12million greater than Australia... Do you guys live real close together or something?

The Nintendo DS is getting VoIP which is really kool. VoIP phones are like the best thing yet. Kind of like HDTV and satellite radios...

Some American communications companies don't wait until it's cheap. They just wait until it turns so decrepit that servicing and repairing it would cost more than laying new stuff.

bozley05 said:
Ouch!

We are civilized, it's just our Population:Land Mass ratio is 5 People per square Mile with people scattered all over the place, which makes infrastructure expensive to setup. So we wait till its old and cheap :)

But saying this, Canada only has 7 people per square mile, with a population only 12million greater than Australia... Do you guys live real close together or something?
I was being sarcastic. :biggrin2:

I should use smileys more often. Anyways, yes we do live rather close together. If I remember, some 85% of people in Canada live within 100km from the US border.

I love my voip phone from my company. We use them all in the office. They are great. I have one at home and use the same phone number. I mean just fantastic. Allows me to have two phones, different locations, same phone number. All on the companies tab.

Just curious if the powerwent down due to a thunderstorm, would I still be able to access the phone with VoIP?

Back