• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

VPS backup to HDD

VPS backup to HDD

Hey guys, I just have a quick question, since all of you are smart with this type of stuff.

I own a VPS, and I because I have alot of information on there, I want the backups to run via my HDD. Is this possible?

It doesn't matter if it's manually or automatic. I just want to know if there's a software out their that basically downloads my backups from my Linux VPS to my HDD via my windows computer..

Thanks for your help.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

You can do this fairly easily with a little work in shell:

1) Connect via ssh to your VPS using your preferred client
2) Become a superuser
Code:
sudo su
or
Code:
su -
3) Change to the root directory of the machine:
Code:
cd /
4) Run the following command to backup the system to a compressed file
Code:
tar -cvpjf backup.tar.bz2 --exclude=/proc --exclude=/lost+found --exclude=/backup.tar.bz2 --exclude=/mnt --exclude=/sys /
5) Move the backup file to your user directory (replace {USER} with your username)
Code:
mv backup.tar.bz2 /home/{USER}/backup.tar.bz2
6) Change ownership of the backup file to your user
Code:
chown {USER} /home/{USER}/backup.tar.bz2
5) Exit superuser
Code:
exit
6) Exit your shell connection
Code:
exit

Now you just need to get the file to your local machine, I'd recommend either using ftp or scp for this.

Do you run cpanel / whm on your VPS ? If so, there is a much easier way to backup your data using R1Soft backup system.

Regards
vpswebserver.com, Best VPS Provider in US

Do you run cpanel / whm on your VPS ? If so, there is a much easier way to backup your data using R1Soft backup system.

He wants to back it up to his home computer. You wouldn't use R1Soft for that. Furthermore, with cPanel, you would just use the built-in backup system.

The easiest way would be to install an FTP server such as FileZilla Server and use cPanel to send the backups over each night.

Sure, it's not difficult to do. You can download an FTP client, connect via SFTP (FTP over SSH, uses SSH credentials), then download the entire thing to your computer (drag n drop).

It would be more advisable to get another VPS, like a cheap $5-10/mo storage VPS, and automate the backups to there. Then you'll have no worries. :)

Back