• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

what is "hits"?

According to the IT teachers in our school hits are also results that come back when you search for something with a search engine.

Mullin

Originally posted by ningaming
from my understandment "hits" are EVERYTHING including images, ect....everything on a page.

That's what I understand them to be as well.

Originally posted by ningaming
from my understandment "hits" are EVERYTHING including images, ect....everything on a page.
Yup. A "hit" is simply an individual request for data from a server.

If, for example, you have a single page that contains a Javascript include, 6 images and an embedded midi file, and that page loads in full (ie 1 pageview), your server would actually record 9 hits (including one for the HTML document that formats the page).

Hits should rarely - if ever - be used to describe the popularity of a particular site, as they are almost meaningless. Pageviews and the unique visitor count are far more valuable metrics.

According to webalizer, "hits" is supposed to mean the number if files access(images, html, etc), usually it is used for the number of people that have visited your site.

Ningaming, Kryton, Czar, and Archbob are right. The rest of the people here who said other things about hits: you are doing nothing more than spreading the misinformation/incorrect terminology that caused all this confusion in the first place.

98125: Same problem at my school. These people think that they need to be seen as geniuses, so they say things like this to try and make themselves sound intelligent. They sound intelligent to people who haven't learned anything, and they misinform these people, but those of us who already know about these things can't stand teachers/people who are like this.

Last edited:
Originally posted by NC_TOM
Ningaming, Kryton, Czar, and Archbob are right. The rest of the people here who said other things about hits: you are doing nothing more than spreading the misinformation/incorrect terminology that caused all this confusion in the first place.

98125: Same problem at my school. These people think that they need to be seen as geniuses, so they say things like this to try and make themselves sound intelligent. They sound intelligent to people who haven't learned anything, and they misinform these people, but those of us who already know about these things can't stand teachers/people who are like this.

:biggrin2: :biggrin2: :biggrin2:
i've never heard of the first explaniation...that's very wierd....

Back