• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Whats the most light weight browser?

build-a-host

321Hosted.com
NLC
Hey all,

I was just testing out Opera and I was wondering, which of the browsers (IE, Firefox, Opera, etc.) is the most light weight when it comes to system resource usage?

It seems that FF uses a bit more than IE, but I'm not too sure about Opera.

What is your opinion?

Right now my Firefox is eating up 108k of my memory, with this page, and 2 other browsers open - that have nothing loaded, just open windows. Opera on the other hand never does it constantly. Opera does have lag spikes like the website posted above shows, but it does settle down (I don't know what causes it anyway, it just freaks out, just like FF/IE do too sometimes) , but a simple restart solves the problem for me on most cases.

Just out of a general statement, I would say Chrome maybe? Since it's so basic.

Probably Lynx.

But yeah, I'm thinking Opera. Those graphs of Firefox you see will be with no extentions, and Opera has a lot more features built in.

I have read that google browser is much faster compared to other browser now?. I wonder though if its true since am not using it

It's true, but it's soo basic and in beta. See if it's the same when it's released out of beta.

I've never had trouble with Firefox, except occasionally with some JavaScript. IE is horrible. I've done no formal testing, however.

But yeah, I'm thinking Opera. Those graphs of Firefox you see will be with no extentions, and Opera has a lot more features built in.

Yes, but only when extended functionality and usability is in question.

Right now my Firefox is eating up 108k of my memory, with this page, and 2 other browsers open - that have nothing loaded, just open windows. Opera on the other hand never does it constantly. Opera does have lag spikes like the website posted above shows, but it does settle down (I don't know what causes it anyway, it just freaks out, just like FF/IE do too sometimes) , but a simple restart solves the problem for me on most cases.

Just out of a general statement, I would say Chrome maybe? Since it's so basic.

Maybe. Chrome is really light-weight but on my 256MB desktop computer, if I have YouTube open for example, or pages with lots of text or scrolling, the browser literally freezes. It's fine on my 2GB laptop, however :).

Maybe. Chrome is really light-weight but on my 256MB desktop computer, if I have YouTube open for example, or pages with lots of text or scrolling, the browser literally freezes. It's fine on my 2GB laptop, however :).

Chrome is not lightweight at all. Just because it is smooth it does not mean that it uses less resources, just uses them more effectively.

How can some ofr you say that Firefox hog's RAM, if you optimise it right, use the right extensions you need to use, it works perfectly. I never have any problems with it (even if I use 3gb RAM)

Compared to Opera - FF hogs the system big time. And the thing is it doesn't really have any additional features to Opera that would justify this (whereas IE does have far more features).

My computer is ruined, admitedly, I have about 15GB space left of a 500GB hard drive and I have about 512mb RAM left of a 2GB chip. So I use Opera and it is absolutely gorgeous and lovely for me :)

Compared to Opera - FF hogs the system big time. And the thing is it doesn't really have any additional features to Opera that would justify this (whereas IE does have far more features).

Clicking a flash object before you can interact with it is not a feature in my eyes.

I always thought Opera ran the best. I only use FireFox because I use the NoScript add-on.

Back