• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

where to learn PHP/mySQL?

tealeaves

I am looking to learn PHP and how to use a mySQL database. Does anyone know where I can learn the basics and how to set everything up? I also first need to install the components and I need to know where I can do that. Also, When I am using PHP, I understand that it is easier to change the layout, is that correct? I mean in the sense that I dont have to go through the traditional way of changing each html file one by one. Thank you!

i bought a book that tought me the basics of php and programming and then learned some cool stuff from tutorials.

Iv been learning PHP for about 4 months now. I have already created a site in PHP. I found a bunch of tutorials online, like at hotscripts.com which helped me. The thing that helped me the most though was browsing through the php help forums at phpbuilder.com and learning from other peoples mistakes. It may not work for everyone, but it seemed to help me a lot.

thank everyone that responded. My computer is extrmely edgy right now but I get my new laptop :)cool: ) I'll check out the sites and tutorials. Thank you! :tongue2: :jump:

MySQL is easy stuff. I set up my tables using PHPMyAdmin, and I know a few basic commands in SQL so that I can insert/remove/update information in the database through PHP. Most paid hosts do offer PHPMyAdmin, so getting it shouldn't be a problem. :)

As for learning PHP, I highly recommend that you buy a good book. That, in my opinion, is the best way to learn a programming language. However, if you have financial problems (i.e. you're a teenager with a low allowance :p), you can take a look at the many tutorials on the net, including the granddaddy of them all -- the manual at php.net. I took a quick look at the one RedGuy posted, and it seems to be an excellent resource. :)

Good luck with your "studies", tealeaves. ;)

hehe You mean my 'studies' as in playing with photos and graphics in photoshop, learning flash, trying to figure out linux and all the programming I'll be doing. Not to mention all those songs I'll memorize by listening to them so much.... ;)

Originally posted by tealeaves
hehe You mean my 'studies' as in playing with photos and graphics in photoshop, learning flash, trying to figure out linux and all the programming I'll be doing. Not to mention all those songs I'll memorize by listening to them so much.... ;)
in the end it will all be worth it (at least that's what i keep telling myself)

I found one of the best ways to learn how to use php and mysql is to download some free scripts (hotscripts.com) and look through the sourcecode. There are alos many good tutorials scattered around the web, you might want to do a search on google.

hotscripts.com is a good resource site. however, some cource-code makers r still newbies. their coding is somewhat inefficient. the most important points should be how fast and how efficient ur codes work.

--it'sGoodStartLearningAssembly-

Back