• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Which forum uses the least server resources?

Which forum uses the least server resources?

• phpBB

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • vBulletin

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • tForum

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • W-Agora

• DCForum

• YaBB

• IkonBoard

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Discus

• Teemz

• Other (please specify)

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters

NC_TOM

I can get u banned.
Well, which forum uses the least server resources when it's running several instances on a server? For example of what I mean, would 1000 YaBB forums or 1000 PhpBB2 forums use the most resources?

If you vote "Other" then please specify which forum you think uses the least server resources.

fws.net forums is using the least system resources of my CPU, if you want to install it on your own server, contact Todd or Peo...
;)

I think phpbb uses least server resources and I don't think I need to explain why. I think ikonboard uses the most.

Ikonboard can't be far off yabb though. Can it? I've seen that most ikonboards load slowly. We didn't include burning board in the poll did we or was that because there was no space?

Ikonboard can use an SQL database for the data, when YaBB (not se) uses flat files.
SQL is alot faster & stable from flat files.

Originally posted by megapuzik
SQL is alot faster & stable from flat files.

How the hell can a flat file database be unstable? It doesn't require any program other than the interpreting language... ROTFLMAO

I'd say a very conservative type board, more so than wwwboard, would do.

Originally posted by megapuzik
Thats the deal, a program give the data more support. (make it faster and stable)
No, I'm talking about the database itself, as it does not need another program to be read by other than the interpreting language, and so it cannot be unstable.

[add, a simpler response]
In layman's terms, a flatfile database is a file. How can a file be unstable?

Last edited:
Originally posted by Hayama-kun
I'd say a very conservative type board, more so than wwwboard, would do.

No, I'm talking about the database itself, as it does not need another program to be read by other than the interpreting language, and so it cannot be unstable.

[add, a simpler response]
In layman's terms, a flatfile database is a file. How can a file be unstable?

Maybe he means an SQL database has less chance of being corrupted?

Ok.. so it looks like in this order, these are in the lead so far:

PhpBB
vBulletin
Aurora (still in early beta)
Burning board (someone mentioned the board, but how does it do as far as resource usage?)
WWWBoard (someone else mentioned this board)

I'm surprised Discus hasn't gotten any votes. I've never used it, but the reason I put it up there is because it's an older forum which made me think it's more simplistic/less server-intense. Maybe I'm wrong in that assumption. :eek:

[EDIT] I've heard before that YaBB uses a ton of resources. The only reason I put it up is I figured it might not be too bad since people are offering remote YaBB hosting services. I'd think that someone who will be hosting several forums will want to use whatever one will not strain their CPU.

Last edited:
Originally posted by MindRash
Who the hell voted for vBulletin? They take heaps with all the features!
I voted for vbulletin, if you enable gzip compression, they take pretty less bandwith and system resources......
:D

Back