• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Which Windows versions you like?

I recently upgraded to Windows 8.1 (I used to use 8 in Bootcamp but it was horrible with the drivers, but went back to 7). I've got to say, it's screaming fast, I don't even notice it booting up or shutting down, opening anything is just a snap. I looks/works so much better with all the customisation built in.

Can anyone tell me what Microsoft has done to beef up security since Vista? I haven't owned a computer with windows installed since just before Vista came out. I'm curious, don't exactly use it but I like to stay on top of what's coming out for when I talk to others and make recommendations.

I am a Developer and expert of SEO and according to my work the Windows XP and Windows 7 is more compatible for me and i recommend others because there are no error in this windows and it is very compatible for every kind of work.

Personally... I feel the best windows versions were 95, XP, 7 and that's it. I use a windows 7 PC, and a MacBook Pro running OSX. I don't see a need to upgrade, everything works really well, I can play pretty much all games on the highest graphics settings on my PC (which is a laptop) and they work very well.

I was 9 years old when Windows 95 was released and it was the first major windows version that I had any real experience with. Of course this was back when you could buy a desktop computer for a whopping $3000 USD and it came with a Pentium processor running at 166 MHz, 32 MB of RAM, and a 2 GB hard drive. That was considered "top of the line" back then. Windows 95 was THE operating system to have at the time. I loved it.

When Windows 98 was released, I didn't have the opportunity to upgrade immediately until I got a job working at the school and I pirated one of the CD keys, but by then Windows 98 SE was already out. (woohooo) It was still just a DOS overlay and aside from some extra bells and whistles, like the stupid active desktop and the added hardware support, I didn't notice much of "wow" factor after using Win95 for a couple years.

Windows ME came and went... heh, we all know the story with that one. PASS!

I was able to get a copy of Windows 2000 Professional from the school around the time I was 14 or so. It was the first NT based platform that I had any experience with. But at that age, all I really cared about was playing games and screwing around on the internet, so the additional features that came with Win2K didn't mean much to me. However, it was a nice stable OS and I did enjoy using the NTFS file system for increased disk performance.

Windows XP came out when I was about 16 and I really started to get into computers a bit more. By then, I was already running dedicated servers and what-not. I was able to get my hands on a Windows XP Corporate key (that wasn't locked by MS) through the school. It was great. Windows XP provided a lot of additional features and functionality that was much appreciated at the time. Windows XP Pro remained my operating system of choice up until the release of Windows 7.

Windows Vista came and went.... another joke that I didn't actively participate in for obvious reasons.

Windows 7... what can I say. It's probably my favorite OS that Microsoft has released to date. Great features. Great hardware support. Great functionality. Great use of the computer's resources compared to previous versions. *cough* VISTA *cough* It's just all around awesome. I will continue to use Windows 7 until further notice.

Windows 8. Garbage. Their stupid "metro interface" drives me nuts. Even in desktop mode, it's impossible to use on a desktop or laptop because of the start button being gone. It's an all around pain in the a$$. I have to use third party software to find it even remotely usable. No thanks.

Last edited:
Windows 8. Garbage. Their stupid "metro interface" drives me nuts. Even in desktop mode, it's impossible to use on a desktop or laptop because of the start button being gone. It's an all around pain in the a$$. I have to use third party software to find it even remotely usable. No thanks.

Windows 8.1, so much better, but then I liked 8, it just needed fleshing out and refining. 8.1 does that.

Windows 8.1, so much better, but then I liked 8, it just needed fleshing out and refining. 8.1 does that.

Still crap. The "start button" that they supposedly restored down on the task bar only opens the lame --- "metro interface" start page, not the actual start menu that we've all grown to love over the years. No thanks. Third party software can make Windows 8 "tolerable" but I'll keep Windows 7 for now, at least until Microsoft gets their act together and releases something relatively usable for those of us who still use desktop computers.

I may not use Metro apps that much, but the Metro interface isn't the worst thing they could have done, I don't really mind it (it's much better than app management in OSX). The only place I think it has no use in at all is education or office, which is why every computer I buy in work, even when it comes with 8 gets 7 put on it. Other than the Metro interface, it has a lot of improvements that you see and those in the background, I enjoy using it.

I still have Windows XP at home and liking it, although I am starting to get the idea that YouTube shows are not playing as efficiently as they had before. I need better hardware and resources, and when I get those, probably will need to upgrade to Windows 7. Windows 7 is probably OK, although just too many bells and whistles to my liking. I much prefer the sparseness and simplicity of Windows XP in comparison.

If I had to choose my absolute favorite, it would be Windows 98.... Mostly because of its simplicity and it's stability. XP was good after the service packs. Windows 7 was great right off the bat.

The only Windows version I've never REALLY had a problem with was Windows ME. That was a pain in my --- that I'd like to never remember again.

It would appear every second Microsoft operating system release is crap! Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8. Hopefully Windows 10 will follow this tradition.

Back