• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Winbuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.
All you can do is try it :)

Linux is getting more friendly but admittedly if you called one of your mates to say I'm having a problem getting this game to run then tell him your setup they'd probably hang up on you .....

There is potential for this to be the year of the linux desktop, but i doubt it.
the hope comes when large corps are pressured to upgrade to windows. the costs involved are horrific, and if they discover a free alternative considerations may be taken. The problem is that windows is now so deep rooted in organizations that switching is pretty much impossible/expensive.
feel free to correct me if im wrong.

I am currently using Ubuntu and I must say, it's quite easy to use. Obviously, you need to have a brain but what's so difficult about it?

not much difficulty, however you do need to know some basics about Linux... maybe a bit more than basics to get it running well :)

I have Windows + Ubuntu on my desktop PC and Mac OS on my iBook. From all three, I stay with Mac. And it's a very real opinion since I use all of them

I've used all three at some point or other. I still like Windows. Linux isn't bad but its still annoying at times and both Linux and Max lack that amount of applications and games that Windows has.

I hear Linux gaming isn't too hot these days.

I use Linux for like web server stuff, anything server related really.... Windows for my gaming, and homework. Mac I don't use :)

I've used all three at some point or other. I still like Windows. Linux isn't bad but its still annoying at times and both Linux and Max lack that amount of applications and games that Windows has.

I hear Linux gaming isn't too hot these days.

Well, Cedega has been developing into a stable little program for windows games emulation from what I hear.

Costs money, though. So I've never used it.

Last edited:
I'd also like to add that I just switched my Slackware box to Debian-Testing, and it runs wonderfully (slack felt "old" and it bothered me). Had a few seemingly complex problems with very simple solutions (edit this or that config file on a single line, etc ... damn you, X Windows!). IMO, it's going to be quite a while before Linux is mature enough for the typical computer user. Yet there is Linspire ....

I feel like such a nerd.

i've run several linux systems for my home computer in the past, started off with redhat, then fbsd, then went back to windows for a while for gaming, but recently setup an extra partition for ubuntu as i was hearing good things..

the ease of install compared to other distros is amazing
although it is very much linux for the average windows user lol

Well, Cedega has been developing into a stable little program for windows games emulation from what I hear.

Costs money, though. So I've never used it.

And there's the problem, why would I run Emulate Windows on Linux, when I can just run Windows? Its not like every computer seller doesn't ship Windows with the computer.

Yeah Im back on windows now,
I like unbutu BUT why would i bother making everything 10 times harder to install and use when I allready have enough to do? LOL
Hence Im back to windows 99% of the time

If that was to me,
First I need a 2nd computer :p

Well I have one its a ----box I use to share internet
But getting that modem to work on linux is really hard
ISDN modem of sorts, you need to do alot of crap to get it working :p.

the great thing about linux is a crappy box is still awesome for Linux! :p

Especially if you just want to play around with it and try it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back