• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Windows 7?

I recently upgraded the operating system for my new laptop from Windows Vista to Windows 7 and must say that it's working brilliantly thus far. At the moment, I haven't had any issues with it yet.

It's so much better than Windows XP and Windows Vista in my opinion. I would gladly recommend those whose systems are able to support it to upgrade to it as soon as possible.

*this might shock you all*

For the past week or so, I've been using Windows 7, via the BootCamp utility on my new iMac (27" Late 2009). I've not, for the whole week, booted into Mac, and my MacBook's been in it's case the whole week, for once I've been emerged in the quite pleasing running of Windows 7, on a computer I treasure more than a lot of things.

My basic review of Windows 7 is, I like it, but I wouldn't use it everyday, there's just something about the feel of it which put's me off, this might be because I use Mac OS X all the time now, or this might be because of my roots back to Windows 2000/ME/XP. The taskbar is EXTREMELY big for it's size, but that might be the 2560x1440 display (yes I did have trouble getting Windows to work with the resolution, but I fixed it easily with some driver swapping and configuration).

The compatibility with my Apple Keyboard is ok, but some issues with the Magic Mouse are resolved by using my old Mighty Mouse. Overall, compatibility is good, but I would prefer if it was more supported from Apple's side, as Windows 7 looks incredible on such a huge screen with a resolution to match it.

*this might shock you all*

For the past week or so, I've been using Windows 7, via the BootCamp utility on my new iMac (27" Late 2009). I've not, for the whole week, booted into Mac, and my MacBook's been in it's case the whole week, for once I've been emerged in the quite pleasing running of Windows 7, on a computer I treasure more than a lot of things.

My basic review of Windows 7 is, I like it, but I wouldn't use it everyday, there's just something about the feel of it which put's me off, this might be because I use Mac OS X all the time now, or this might be because of my roots back to Windows 2000/ME/XP. The taskbar is EXTREMELY big for it's size, but that might be the 2560x1440 display (yes I did have trouble getting Windows to work with the resolution, but I fixed it easily with some driver swapping and configuration).

The compatibility with my Apple Keyboard is ok, but some issues with the Magic Mouse are resolved by using my old Mighty Mouse. Overall, compatibility is good, but I would prefer if it was more supported from Apple's side, as Windows 7 looks incredible on such a huge screen with a resolution to match it.

You're right, I am shocked. I am however, glad you're enjoying it.

^I am kinda glad too, I've said all along I'd miss Windows, and I am! Don't get me wrong now you could do a post search from where this was posted and it's from Firefox 3.5 on Mac OS X 10.6.2, but I still have Windows fully loaded up on my iMac, and only using Mac to do work stuff right now. Needless to say, I'm extremely tempted to mount a mini-PC on the back of my TV and use Windows 7 on that, just for the good old days

Right click on the taskbar, click properties, and check "Use Small Icons". Hey presto; smaller, less intrusive taskbar. :)

I have been using Windows 7 and so far I really like it. Havent paid much attention to "performance" but since I have had no issues at all, I am guessing performance is good as well.

Ditto. Maybe because my rig is self-assembled (to the best :p), I don't feel much of a difference from WinVista Ultimate x64 to Win7 Ultimate x64. But overall, a little bit of a new UI, seems fun.

Thanks.

WOW, Windows 7 is really good. I bought the 32bit ultimate version and it's so fast, clean and awesome!

WOW, Windows 7 is really good. I bought the 32bit ultimate version and it's so fast, clean and awesome!

Actually, the discs are hybrid arch now. So one disk has both x86 install and x64 install.

Windows 8 is rumored to drop x86 though.

x86 = 32-bit

Windows 8?! Christ 64Bit only OS?! That's a bit of a risk. But still, I've had to re-install Windows 7 after screwing something up, and it took a very respectful 30 minutes, compared to the 50 minutes it took Snow Leopard to install on my MacBook. I'm still using Windows on my iMac, and the screen does it more justice than Mac OS X.

By that time XP will be obsolete and people would be upgrading to Vista or at least 7 if they still can't support Vista. So Windows 8 will be fine as a 64bit OS only. Most computers these days come with the near brims of 64bit as it's base sale specs anyway. It's about time developers started developing software for 64bit computers not only 32bit. 32bit wont be on the radar much longer.

By that time XP will be obsolete and people would be upgrading to Vista or at least 7 if they still can't support Vista. So Windows 8 will be fine as a 64bit OS only. Most computers these days come with the near brims of 64bit as it's base sale specs anyway. It's about time developers started developing software for 64bit computers not only 32bit. 32bit wont be on the radar much longer.

10 years later 64bit will go down the same track. Software companies need to catch up... I couldn't name a new computer that isn't 64bit compatible nowadays

I got a free signature edition of Windows 7 Ultimate - as a part of windows 7 launch Party.
I am using windows 7 at my Home PC.
Windows 7 is the best OS ever from Microsoft.
It is lightning fast compared to vista
go for it.

I'm currently running Windows 7 Professional (32-bit). I'm having no problems at all.
And, since the beta, I still love the design and layout.

A lot of games tend to crash fairly frequently on it - unless you run them in compatability mode with Vista or XP.

That has been my experience with it thus far. Note that I only use windows to play games.

A lot of games tend to crash fairly frequently on it - unless you run them in compatability mode with Vista or XP.

That has been my experience with it thus far. Note that I only use windows to play games.

I have no problems playing any games. I haven't even had anything crash. Just a few software incompatibilities, which I was aware of when I upgraded.

Back