• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

WMP crashing on none other than WMV content

niv

striking reality
NLC
Yaay, this has to be the third time this has happened to me--Windows Media Player, instead of playing back Windows Media Video content (both in a browser as a plugin and as the player) decides to crash...wtf? Anyone have any ideas with what the heck is going on or how to fix it? :confused4

The only solution I've had so far is just a clean reformat, and I don't want to have to go through that hell again for a while.

That never works, I think it's something a little more deep than just the exe crashing. Might have to do with the codec, but I can't be too sure.

i can understand you dont want to format, I have to do it often and hate it. But you might try re-installing the IE plugin (assuming you use IE) or try re-installing WMP. I had a problem with a corrupt WMP a while back I just installed the newer version and that solved the problem. Did you happen to recently upgrade?

Nope, this has been running XP+SP1 for about 6 months. As for WMP, I did install the MS WM9 VCM recently, and it crashed on me when I tried to do something in mplayerc. That may have been it, and would be a codec issue, but there's no way of solving that afaik (stupid ----ing Microsoft and their incompatible methods).

Besides, the WMVdecoder codec is STILL working with other players. The player itself and the plugin are the ones at fault...

Last edited:
A fifth or less of the problem is that WMP crashes, but it's an awful player and I hardly ever use it [mplayerc for life]. With that said, the main problem is the STREAMING of content, which only WMP handles, and that crashes with the same problems that client experiences, causing the browser to crash as well.

Back