• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Wolfknight Network Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfknightx

Hi everyone, just wanted to post what I have to offer those of you who are needing something solid and reliable for as little as possible.

Here is what I offer you if you would like to host your site with me:

1. 50MB of space.
2. 24/7 realtime FTP.
3. 4GB monthly data transfer.
4. No file upload/dl limits.
5. No ads, no banners, and no pop ups.
6. Free technical support via email.
7. Free .com/.net/.org host services
8. No restrictions on file types or sizes ul/dl.
9. Perl5, PHP4, Python, and Web Basic supported.
10. Host multiple sites from your primary web space.
11. Web Based FTP Control Panel for your convience.
12. Short default URL: /1/you.
13. Get you.com and www.you.com for your domain.
14. Ftp.yourname.com created upon your request.
15. 1 free read-only FTP mirror for mass file dl/s.
16. Free web based email: 6MB size; no spam.
17. Pay with Paypal, Check, Money Order, cash.
18. Pay once per year and get service year round.
19. Subdivide your webspace and resell OK.
20. Fast, friendly service. You write me, you get me.

* The above is $10 per year. If you do not need 50MB, or cannot afford $10 per year, I will provide all of the same above features with 25MB of space for only $5 per year. Please note that domain name hosting is free. You do not have to buy a domain name from me, and you may always use an existing domain name to go with your website if you order either the 25 or 50MB package. All sites are hosted on a full T1 network.

Wolfknight Network Services celebrates it's 2nd year anniversary this December. Feel free to visit me at:
www.wolfknight.net
James W. // WKNS

If bandwidth cost $1per gig how do you expect to make a profit?
(I know you won't get it that cheap because you will need to buy it in huge amounts for that price)

$1*4gig = $4amonth * 12 = $48 a year.

With full utilization of the account it would cost you $48 to run the account for a year + server costs + tech support. How do you plan to make a profit with this plan?

Regards
Robert

Dont worry worked it out already, running it off your home connection:

A tracert on your domain shows that your using dyndns. A tracert on your ip shows that your using home.com to run the connection.

Robert

Originally posted by Myacen Network
Dont worry worked it out already, running it off your home connection:

A tracert on your domain shows that your using dyndns. A tracert on your ip shows that your using home.com to run the connection.

Robert
If he is he should be warned, a lot of cable/dsl users have used their home internet to run a hosting company ... and I have seen nothing but downhill crashes for the people who run it and the people they host.

So watch out bro!

Edit: I am removing my post because my intent was not to put down this company in any way, but rather state the obvious. I was corrected, and will no longer take part in this discussion. I have further responded below.

Last edited:
Originally posted by evilhaze
Isnt it illegal to sell a service using cable / dsl? It is usually against the tos if I am not mistaken, unless for some strange reason this persons provider allows this? hmm, concidering he is using @home, i think it is illegal. They stopped providing @work solutions, if i am not mistaken. Naughty Wolf!

No, actually...here's some answers to your questions, as you're looking to bash a good thing (and it wreaks everytime people post responses like they did)...

1. Yes, it is run from home.

2. Yes, it is from @home, but on their business services line (they support up to OC-48 connections, but are known best for their 384k cable shared routers, their T1s, and DS3s.)

3. If the site is down from your side, you might want to surf without a proxy, as some providers are too cheap to provide you internet access to any port but port 80 (which I've specifically decided to NOT run the server on. I get enough hack attempts by script kiddies already without code red leftovers) Before you declare a site as 'down', you should really try surfing WITHOUT your cheese---- proxy. You might realize a whole new world of sites you never knew of before...

4. For people who really can't seem to do without their proxies, I offer them FTP mirrors to get around such situations, but might be redoing ports soon to get around this issue.

5. If I were out to make a profit, it would be a *commercial* host, and it would say so. You people obviously don't read very much, do you? I suggest you read the site (and if you can't read, try an ftp mirror to work with your proxy...type this onto your browser:

ftp://wolfknight:wolfknight@ftp.wolfknight.net/index.shtml

and/or

ftp://wolfknight:wolfknight@ftp.wolfknight.net/index.html

the SSIs will not show up on the .shtml version, as your proxy won't permit them to load).

Thanks for your overwhelmingly jealous and misinformed posts, people. I only hope the rest of the web community is twice as smart as you not to bash and complain before it is learned that the problem is often within, or just simply your poor internet connection or lack of understanding. Have a 'nice' day.

P.S: The tracert is correct. @home leases me a T1 for $345 per mo., after I upgraded from their business 512k cable line last year. DynDNS is used for webhop jumps to alternate ports, so I don't put as much stress on the server with DNS resolution and router troubles. Anything else you want to add?

P.P.S: Evilhaze, it's perfectly legal to do it from business cable...and as long as you provide notice to your upgrade to a business class line, it's legal to do it on residential, too. Get informed before you pass judgement, please!

James

Hey don't bite me brother. I was simply trying to get down to the dirty work. It just looked a bit dodgy from what I had seen. We all know the service provided by @ home.

Firstly, you are a commercial host if you accept payments for web hosting.

Second my post was not to bash you, or to even appear jelious. I run a very successful web hosting business, thank you very much.

Thirdly, what about redundancy? what happens when the allmighty @home goes down? We all know about the troubles this provider is having currently, and for you to provide a paying service with no redundancy would be a bad move. At least in my opinion.

Fourthly, my statement was for the most part in the form of a question. There is no need to get angry or go spastic at me. Are you like this when all of your customers ask you a question about your service? Chill out dude.

Hello,

Im sorry for posting my comments. The problem is I have a few friends that got burnt from these little @home powered companies. It seems as your "the real deal" and provide a good service.

I was not trying to bash you and we are not jealous of what you provide. I was asking a question quote "If bandwidth cost $1per gig how do you expect to make a profit?
(I know you won't get it that cheap because you will need to buy it in huge amounts for that price)

$1*4gig = $4amonth * 12 = $48 a year.

With full utilization of the account it would cost you $48 to run the account for a year + server costs + tech support. How do you plan to make a profit with this plan? "

Which then I later added

Quote "Dont worry worked it out already, running it off your @home connection:

A tracert on your domain shows that your using dyndns. A tracert on your ip shows that your using home.com to run the connection."

Did I ever say that you werent running a business line. I just expressed how you could offer these plans. And why are you running the service on port 110?

Robert

Last edited:
3. If the site is down from your side, you might want to surf without a proxy, as some providers are too cheap to provide you internet access to any port but port 80 (which I've specifically decided to NOT run the server on. I get enough hack attempts by script kiddies already without code red leftovers) Before you declare a site as 'down', you should really try surfing WITHOUT your cheese---- proxy. You might realize a whole new world of sites you never knew of before...

I use no proxies. And your site came ok (although really slow) about 15 minutes later. I am on fast connection so it wasn't my problem. Before i said the site was down i tried to refresh it a couple of times, and I even made sure that your link was correct (by comparing it to your sig.)

You were around before offering free hosting then went bye-bye without a word. Personally, I wouldn't trust your hosting.

Originally posted by LeX
You were around before offering free hosting then went bye-bye without a word. Personally, I wouldn't trust your hosting.

Well wolfknight... I think you lost this argument. :jump: ROTFLMAO

Well Brett...not looking to argue, just make a valid point ;)...

Ok, Robert: The port 110 was an experiment, as was 82 and other ports (which is why Lex mistakenly assumed I went 'bye-bye'...unless he was one of the users who previously abused the system when it was free...if that was the case, his domain was blocked from the server). I understand about your caution of people getting burned from people on DSLs and cable modems (after all, I started out from just a signle DSL), but you should really try not to give these people fuel to fire an assumption with, or things they could run with and post everywhere (people like Lex for example?)...

Lex: Thanks Lex! At least now I know you were one of the jerks who screwed up the free services for the rest of them, and pissed me off when I created those accounts by hand. You'll be happy to know any duplicate accounts you had on the server were deleted shortly after you made them, and your IP (unless you use a proxy, provided it works for you) will be blocked indefinately.

Robert: You may have had good intentions, but like anything, they don't always come out the way we want them to. You should know, as a professional host, that jealousy runs wild, people are quick to judge, and are very short on understanding. It almost comes with the territory of commercial web hosting, and besides falling ill, I just got sick and tired of that, which is one of the main reasons I went on with other endeavors for profit. Truth be told, I couldn't stand the bashing, and it seems I can't post a hosting service anywhere on this board and escape the bashing and controversy for the life of me...

Also, I posted my response to your Mycean redesign service before I read this one, so sorry about the being first to apologize thing...

Evilhaze: It's cool...I just groan when I hear people criticize @home...granted, they've got their problems, but so does Verio. I have one alternate connection through ANS net as a reserve if @home goes out, but I don't really advertise or mention that. Usually only members of the system get those details, as it's not a for-profit thing: the money goes to the local community to help people who are not so fortunate...sometimes I'm lucky to see $3 of it for my own profit. It usually knocks the $345 per month bill to $258, which still is a negative...so while it seems like the payments are profit, I can assure you it's not. :confused2 If I go over X amount of Gigs per month, I have to pay for that too (which sometimes brings it up near to $300 again)...

I decided to do this type of service because I've been there before...with little or nothing...little or no money to pay for what I wanted or needed to get ahead, and it sucked...there were few people to help me when I was, but I promised those who did help me that I would offer something special to people to help them like they helped me. That's why Wolfknight Network Services exists.

I'm sure you run an awesome hosting company evilhaze, and I have no doubt of that. I just got hit with a lot of comments that were uncalled for...

Brett: I read about the free design you do, but didn't have much time to really read through your website. It looks good, though. :) What is it about? (ie: do you do X pages for a site free, and then charge extra?) --> I have someone whuo needs a site designed around Janurary, and was just curious. Thanks...

James

ROTFLMAO Since when did I abuse your server? Your previous free host was brought up here a while ago, which is why I have some vague memory of your name wolfknight (people were getting it wrong back then). If I remember correctly, you claimed to offer 1 or 2 GB for every account and called it virtually unlimited. Then suddenly, without any warning or notice, your service went down. I think your site, wolfknight.com, ceased to exist too.

Okay, all this information I gathered from the forums. I have no idea how you come to think that I was a jerk (personal attack) and an abuser (attack #2). Unless that you have proof that I really was being a jerk and abusing your services, I suggest you not hastily jump to wrong conclusions.

Your post has been reported. Thanks for participating in this discussion.

Originally posted by LeX
ROTFLMAO Since when did I abuse your server? Your previous free host was brought up here a while ago, which is why I have some vague memory of your name wolfknight (people were getting it wrong back then). If I remember correctly, you claimed to offer 1 or 2 GB for every account and called it virtually unlimited. Then suddenly, without any warning or notice, your service went down. I think your site, wolfknight.com, ceased to exist too.

Okay, all this information I gathered from the forums. I have no idea how you come to think that I was a jerk (personal attack) and an abuser (attack #2). Unless that you have proof that I really was being a jerk and abusing your services, I suggest you not hastily jump to wrong conclusions.

Your post has been reported. Thanks for participating in this discussion.

Get a life, Lex. You thought wrong, on both accounts: I never had wolfknight.com registered, and my service never went down. You were banned for abuse. Get over it. And the limit was there if you asked, but for someone who abused the system and found their account deleted, I guess this would upset you?

And my post has been reported. Ok...this must be your feeble attempt to intimidate me? It didn't work. ROTFLMAO

Chicken to tell you the truth, I don't think LeX would abuse any system. He is very friendly helpful and a general all round nice guy. If I personally didnt trust him I would not have given him hosting for free :).

I think you would have found that LeX is responsible over the time he is spent over here @fws.net

Regards
Robert

WolfKnight TOS:

[...]
10. Payment is due once per year anytime before the anniversary of your signup date for the next year.
[...]

Do you send us an e-cake with this? ROTFLMAO

FL/\SH

Originally posted by SlashTek.com
WolfKnight TOS:

[...]
10. Payment is due once per year anytime before the anniversary of your signup date for the next year.
[...]

Do you send us an e-cake with this? ROTFLMAO

FL/\SH

English is not my first language, but i think the world can be used in that way ...

Originally posted by wolfknight
Get a life, Lex.
I already have one. I don't need two.
You thought wrong, on both accounts: I never had wolfknight.com registered, and my service never went down.
Yeah, sure, if you say so.
You were banned for abuse. Get over it.
Ban my ---, I never had an account, I never used your service, and I only visited your site twice. Or did I use up all your bandwidth by visiting it twice?
And the limit was there if you asked, but for someone who abused the system and found their account deleted, I guess this would upset you?
I couldn't care less, since your offer was basically impossible in the first place.
And my post has been reported. Ok...this must be your feeble attempt to intimidate me? It didn't work. ROTFLMAO
"Intimidate" you?! ROTFLMAO Whatever you say, pal.

Since you keep on accusing me of abusing your service, would you mind showing me some proof, instead of claiming stuff without any evidence?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back