• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

xenForo it is!

It actually isn't that bad. Just takes some getting used to. It's incredibly easy to use.

And when uploading files, the Thumbnail, Full Image button is completely unreadable unless you hover over it.
I like how you can just highlight text and then reply to it as I did here. Anyway, this bug has been reported to the developer and he will release an update shortly.

I like how you can just highlight text and then reply to it as I did here.
Yep!! :D One of the very neat features. I used to use vB, and while switching to xF and learning how it works was a little bit of a hassle, I never looked back. xF has some very nice features.

Some spammer bots quickly adapted to the new forum software but they can't get through our moderation. Let's see if the new google reCAPTCHA combined with Akismet can reject spam so it doesn't even get to the moderation queue.

I use the StopForumSpam database, Question & Answer CAPTCHA, and email confirmation. Have not had a single spambot make it through. Of course, it's not going to stop real people from spamming, but that's easy to deal with.

Yes, I use the StopForumSpam db. I also had Question & Answer CAPTCHA but I switched to the new Google reCAPTCHA. Looks like it's working, but we'll see.

Interesting change Peo. Glad to see the site updated and taken care of.

I have dealt with Xenforo many times in the past. At first I had thought it was an upgrade from vbulletin 4 > vbulletin 5 but then I was able to notice it was indeed Xenforo.

Great work and I hope to see the site pick up some in the future. Xenforo is a great software.

Thanks Yahpoolerz. Next on the bucket list is getting the new directory for the main site ready.

Bad move!

Every "struggling" forum i`ve seen switch to XenForo has lost traffic. Please rethink your strategy.

The main reason forums in general are struggling is not due to whatever software it uses, it's due to increased competition from social networks like facebook, twitter, instagram, snapchat etc. I've heard from big forums who increased traffic when they moved to xenForo and so far that's also my experience with this move, but it's too early to tell. I'd be interested in what forums you talk about, so please send me a pm with some examples.

vB got a bad reputation from some early issues related to vB 5. I've also had frustrating experiences with vB so we've been discussing this for more than a year. We've already solved a lot of issues by moving to xenForo. I used to get hundreds of vBulletin database error emails every day. As a result the database had to be repaired almost daily with frequent mysql restarts and downtime. Another reason we moved is due to vBulletin morphing into a cms. xenForo is a more focused product.

Last edited:
Bad move!

Every "struggling" forum i`ve seen switch to XenForo has lost traffic. Please rethink your strategy.

Can't say I agree at all. Tons of big boards (perhaps even a majority) are moving away from the trainwreck that is VB. With every board I switched to XF (from a variety of forum software, including VB), the users absolutely loved the changes, and as an admin, the things you can do with XF are truly astounding. Then when VB was unable to keep up with simple PHP releases and the entire software would break as as result, that was it for us. There is no way that anyone in his right mind would run EOL PHP on a public server, simply because VB doesn't support newer versions. That has changed now, of course, but was the final straw for me and VB, and it should have been for darn near everyone else out there, who actually knows even a tiny bit about server security.

As Peo also explained, it's not the forum software that is causing a downfall. Hell, you could use phpBB or something free and likely not see a difference. Free hosting in general has become largely irrelevant. Nobody needs it anymore. Social media has more or less removed that need. We still get a very small handful of legitimate users for free hosting, but the majority of our sign-ups these days are for Teamspeak. That's because social media hasn't taken care of that yet. When you can get on voice.facebook.com some day (I have no doubt it's coming) and chat with your friends, then you'll see free voice servers go away as well.

The main reason forums in general are struggling is not due to whatever software it uses, it's due to increased competition from social networks like facebook, twitter, instagram, snapchat etc. I've heard from big forums who increased traffic when they moved to xenForo and so far that's also my experience with this move, but it's too early to tell. I'd be interested in what forums you talk about, so please send me a pm with some examples.

vB got a bad reputation from some early issues related to vB 5. I've also had frustrating experiences with vB so we've been discussing this for more than a year. We've already solved a lot of issues by moving to xenForo. I used to get hundreds of vBulletin database error emails every day. As a result the database had to be repaired almost daily with frequent mysql restarts and downtime. Another reason we moved is due to vBulletin morphing into a cms. xenForo is a more focused product.

Maybe I was a bit harsh with my comment and I apologize. It`s down to personal experience with a couple of forum`s which I used to visit on regular occasions whom both did the switch to XenForo and both soon after died. A example would be http://forum.vidahost.com/index.php (forum username Spaceman).

And when uploading files, the Thumbnail, Full Image button is completely unreadable unless you hover over it.
This should be ok now. Let me know if you notice anything else.

Peo, Loving the new look my friend. Do you like this a lot better than Vbulletin?
I have been thinking of possibly switching softwares, but the only other one I am familiar with is mybb aside from vbulletin, and to me, there just isn't a lot of creativity with mybb. Vbulletin is good, but I am afraid to upgrade, as the vbulletin forum site that you go to on their domain is EXTREMELY slow.

Peo, Loving the new look my friend.
Thanks man!

Do you like this a lot better than Vbulletin?
I haven't tried vB5, so I compare with vB4. At the admin side of things, xenForo is less cluttered and after a few hours of learning much easier. I like it so far. :)

How can you edit your profile information? Like signature, and other items?
Your settings should be here: http://www.freewebspace.net/forums/index.php?account/ You'll get there by clicking your name at the top right corner of every page.

Actually I think I spoke too soon. It looks like the ability to upload multiple files is broken after the change? Can only upload one file, by the looks of it.

Back