• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Time to rebuild my host spread

Hello, Tao,

Sorry to say that message wasn't received. If you would like to switch control panels, just send an e-mail to support@hostalope.com.

Hmm, I wasn't clear - don't worry, there's no missing forum message here for you.

However, I did in fact send along an email to support@hostalope.com about 9am this morning, though I haven't seen the answer yet.

Edit - I got a mailer daemon bounce. Any advice?

(ultimately generated from support@hostalope.com)
retry timeout exceeded

Ah I do see the bounce...looks like there was a setting misconfigured. Please try again now. Sorry about that everyone, hope we didn't miss too many.

So are you requesting to be moved to a cPanel server, Tao? Doesn't seem to make much sense to me, since the nature of your site would warrant very little use of it I'd assume. Is there a feature missing with DA that you need? Are you ready for a normal hosting account for a personal website, instead of research purposes?

Ah I do see the bounce...looks like there was a setting misconfigured. Please try again now. Sorry about that everyone, hope we didn't miss too many.

So are you requesting to be moved to a cPanel server, Tao? Doesn't seem to make much sense to me, since the nature of your site would warrant very little use of it I'd assume. Is there a feature missing with DA that you need? Are you ready for a normal hosting account for a personal website, instead of research purposes?

Oniscorp, as a tip for customer service, expect that what seems like "work" is that clients want to actively investigate the resources available. You advertised an exciting new feature, in this case the famed cPanel, and I know from direct usage comparisons that it has one of the best file managers, including Direct Admin. Seraphim is on the verge of getting it too, Decker Svc did it last month-ish, so that's close to a grand slam exept cWahi. At least for me it's easily 10% faster on "muscle memory" to push out a change if it's all cpanel - it's 5 copies of the same clicks rather than having to burn a little energy doing each host's quirks.

As for content, my page use is my out-ward mirror of my research, of which the host dash bar is only one. However, the rest of the page is an evolving menu page. The main difference between your copy and some of the others is, that there will be more front menu pages than back end articles.

Last edited:
I have CPanel up and running actually. Right away it threw a service stability issue that I had to correct- that machine was giving me fits about it despite having installed it to a clean setup of CentOS 6. Turns out it was a configuration issue, and has been fully resolved.

At this point I am on the learning curve of it, figuring out how to control what I need to for it to play nicely with the way I run things. The other issue is DNS replication, as out of the box it won't replicate DNS to my webmin-based nameservers. I've got a partial fix for it implemented, and will probably go for launch once I get it solved completely.

The other potential snag I see is transferring your account. Where Virtualmin can import a CPanel backup without any problems, CPanel has no provision to import backups from other panels. I would most likely have to dump the raw files and database and move everything by hand in order for you to change servers. Likely your site would see a brief downtime as well as the DNS changes take effect.

Last edited:

The other potential snag I see is transferring your account. Where Virtualmin can import a CPanel backup without any problems, CPanel has no provision to import backups from other panels. I would most likely have to dump the raw files and database and move everything by hand in order for you to change servers. Likely your site would see a brief downtime as well as the DNS changes take effect.

I'm not sure I understand this - last I recall I ended up with my fluke username on DeckerSvc's copy of cPanel precisely because it was an import of something. Also, I don't think I saw a down-blip when he did it either. Maybe he has some tips here.

I'm not sure I understand this - last I recall I ended up with my fluke username on DeckerSvc's copy of cPanel precisely because it was an import of something. Also, I don't think I saw a down-blip when he did it either. Maybe he has some tips here.

I'll see if I can find a way to transfer it directly. So far though nothing obvious has jumped out at me.

Also the down blip can be avoided. To do it, I would have to run the account on both servers at once, change the DNS, then sometime later when it has propagated out remove the original. It's more a chance of a blip than a guaranteed will be down for x amount of time, because it is based on the DNS propagation versus what servers are actually active.

Last edited:

The effective way of doing this is to set the TTL values very low on the DNS for the nameservers that are used. Something very low, like 5 minutes. This needs to be done several days before the migration is to take place. Once the migration has occured, the DNS servers are now live at both locations. Change the IPs for the nameservers over to the new ones, and then finally put the TTL values back. Then leave the old DNS server online for a couple of days. Now, regardless of where the visitor's DNS has been cached to (old location or new) both DNS servers are pointing to the new machine.

Hello, Tao,

You should have received an e-mail a while back with details about your new cPanel account. Please let me know if you did not receive.

Hello, Tao,

You should have received an e-mail a while back with details about your new cPanel account. Please let me know if you did not receive.

Hallo!

I looked at the ticket this morning and successfully logged in and updated my password. As a general question that I have seen before, there seems to be a new thing for browsers to get grumpy with self issued certs - do you have plans to get the second external one sometime?

I also filed a misc informational ticket about the subdomain too.

IsMyWebsite Blips?

I think I am getting blips from my local page copy on IsMyWebsite. I think this is the second or third time, but I'll roll it all into one event.

Their master site is up so they're certainly not going anywhere - just my local copy seems to be blipping.

Depending on when y'all see this (unless it is a total fluke on my end) this copy of my page doesn't load.

http://taophoenix.ismywebsite.com/ReVisionMobile.html

The dashboard shows "pale flat" images when a copy has problems. Again depending on timing, here is Seraphim's copy.

http://taophoenix.seraphimlabs.net/ReVisionMobile.html

Azoundria? Any advice? Anyone else confirm it's not me staring out of a barrel?

I see it as well at the time of this post. It's possible that their main site is on a different server than your site.

As for the outage itself, dunno.

Hello, Tao,

You are asking if we will purchase a signed certificate for cPanel logins? No, there are no plans of this to happen anytime ever. We'll save the hundred bucks and users can add an exception in their browser.

I do see the support ticket...is this a demand or a request?

Speaking of SSL, I should also mention that we now offer SSL support. If you need this functionality, you will need to email support@ with your domain name and the reason for the request.

Hello, Tao,

We do not offer unlimited subdomains of hostalope.com. With a normal hosting account, you are allowed to create as many subdomain accounts within your control panel, of your own domain. We can set you up with an account for your own personal domain if you wish. Your present account actually comes with 0 additional subdomains due to the nature of the agreement.

I will clarify my question that is in question: courtesy goes along way with us; if you need/want something, you will have to ask in a polite manner. As this is not a paid service, we are not obligated to pleasing everyone.

Status of ticket: on hold

My initial requests have been polite. This is the text of the ticket to tweak the subdomain.
"> > Hallo everyone.
> >
> > Now that the hard stuff of the domain and panel switches is
> > done, I need you to amend the subdomain - it should just be
> > plain "taophoenix.hostalope.com". The "monitoring" part
> > interferes with some utilities I use that organize my host
> > spread which all have the same subdomain setup.
> >
> > Please advise,
> >
> > --Tao"

Your response was, "is this a demand or a request?"

You are also proud of your new featured cPanel. I requested to be on that at which point your reply included "you do not need that".

No other host I have dealt with issues those kinds of replies in response to basic configuration tickets. If you have decided that my requests pose too much work at the free level then we can call it creative differences and dissolve our liaison which otherwise looked promising. You posted a downtime event on cue, I posted a support note behind one of your Free Host offers elsewhere, as well as several "All's Well" notes here. It would make me sad to see that happen but I cannot have my digital partner at odds with basic requests.

Back