• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Time to rebuild my host spread

I still think you need to find a new provider.

It doesn't seem to matter what providers I get. They're all good for anywhere from weeks to months, then they start getting minor issues that accumulate. In this case I haven't exactly pinned down the cause yet, the congestion only appears in short bursts and then everything goes back to normal.

So far though the only provider I've really gotten screwed over by was hostrail/321hosted, which I only took because I needed something fast to maintain presence and later on had to deal with what came of it.

Hostalope!!!

New name/design has been launched. Please have a look at hostalope.com and let us know what you guys think of the new design!

Just in time for the weekend! Orangey Fruity goodness! (Quick tip - there are a couple of copy-edit kinds of things you can tweak later like capitals and a missing space on the about page.)

I would be interested in seeing another paragraph added to the Privacy page stating how the info you collect will or will not be used for marketing. Currently it leaves it as "compatible" which theoretically gives you room to engage in any marketing you desire.

In case you ever decided not to be a Breakfast Host, you have an escape route for Marketing. From Wikipedia:

"The jackalope is a mythical animal of North American folklore (a so-called "fearsome critter") described as a jackrabbit with antelope horns or deer antlers and sometimes a pheasant's tail (and often hind legs). The word jackalope is a portmanteau of "jackrabbit" and "antalope", an archaic spelling of antelope."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackalope

So you could be a feral wild mythical host recommended by the FDA food Pyramid!

We will adjust our privacy policy to better suit us; thanks for the attention to detail :).

When you say adjusting capital letters, are you talking about some of the lowercase h's in Hostalope? Those were actually done intentionally I think so as to be slightly different.

A cantaloupe with antlers, that would be marvelous! Also would be a nice Christmas design, great idea, Tao :D

EDIT: Nvm, I see some of the capital errors, corrected a couple myself. Lazy mother...

Last edited:
Hey TaoPhoenix,

See you still got this going just seeing how everything is going!

Look! It's an alumni! Looks like you're back at X10 huh? I know of X10, before I started this I used them and I think I even have an account (inactive) over there. The main reason I shifted off of them is that the really fast "log in every two weeks" policy doesn't suit my style. You can talk to the managers over there. By now you know the deal so you can try for either a full white bar in the new rounds or maybe the new category of "hosts I like" which doesn't have the reporting rule.

When you say adjusting capital letters, are you talking about some of the lowercase h's in Hostalope? Those were actually done intentionally I think so as to be slightly different.
Hmm, quick instinct for me says that the brand name should either be caps all out or small letters for the "go different with e. e. cummings" look, but not a mix.

A cantaloupe with antlers, that would be marvelous! Also would be a nice Christmas design, great idea, Tao :D

Yikes!

I was just thinking if you got tired of the Fruit theme you could go all Jackalope-host because the letters actually work. By the way since the name is the same, I actually don't have any requirements on marketing campaigns!

Look! It's an alumni! Looks like you're back at X10 huh? I know of X10, before I started this I used them and I think I even have an account (inactive) over there. The main reason I shifted off of them is that the really fast "log in every two weeks" policy doesn't suit my style. You can talk to the managers over there. By now you know the deal so you can try for either a full white bar in the new rounds or maybe the new category of "hosts I like" which doesn't have the reporting rule.

I was justing stopping by to say Hi, I haven't been around here lately. Also it's been moved to every 30 days :).

I'm still tracking that bit of a flicker that has been happening, so far the only thing I can confirm about it is that it is congestion upstream.

Also, I too will be having something of a name change in the near future. However nothing else about the way I run my services will change.

Seraphim, do you know your new name yet? I would like to do the branding change as soon as possible even if the site is not perfect.

That I do. I'll PM you the details, since I'm still planning on the unveiling of it.

The general rule for this competition is to lead off with the name, because that has to propogate around FWS. However I saw your note so let's see your next post.

The general rule for this competition is to lead off with the name, because that has to propogate around FWS. However I saw your note so let's see your next post.

The change is almost insignificant, if you look at my site right now it's already visible in the page footer. I just went from being SeraphimLabs to SeraphimLabs LLC.

Sure! my branding rules don't involve company structure changes, so that's quite fine and off we go to tomorrow!

Style Change - From Competition to Promotion

Times are changing at FWS. We're seeing forces developing which are making the flimsier startups think twice before launching, which is a Good Thing. I added my own 1% to that movement.

Based on that, my official competition is over. Competitions are designed to separate smiling hopefuls from undiscovered talents. I am proud of my four selected winners IsMyWebsite, cWahi, Seraphim Labs and new wildcard Decker Services. The Alumni are doing different things - some are on their second generation efforts, some have moved elsewhere.

This means the quality of current hosts posting ads has climbed by some unclear but definite amount. My new round will be my own selections perusing ads attempting to see if I can detect elements of the ads combined with some quick heuristics to see if I can pick good hosts. These selections will not be required to post the events required of the prior winners, so there then becomes some small risk of greater fragility, but I hope to still prove "better than average" in my picks.

Put another way, the prior round hosts *chose themselves*. These will be Hosts I Like. If they fail, well, then that becomes the data for the new round. It will me I Chose Poorly, to quote Indiana Jones. The first Host I Like is RLS Hosting. In this round, such as with RLS Hosting, I have already acquired a limited-edition coupon for a free account which may not be available to all users. I will probably indicate Paid Hosts on coupon vs Free Hosts to keep the divisions fair. (Free Hosts offer a standard plan to all users.)

If any hosts wish to apply, they may, but they will be added at the Like level and won't be held to the reporting rules. The twist is, if something goes wrong and they show stellar bravery reporting in with the trouble, the FWS gang will notice and so will I!

Hostalope is In

Hostalope has pushed forward my info onto a matching subdomain for their new brand, so here we go! I think they will do well now that they've gotten through some of their shakedown items. They are currently the only new host attempting the "competition style" rules.

I have a bit of a scatter on my versions so it will be a little bit before I can post the official new board.

Edit :
The new board is posted below, and for once I pushed out fresh copies of the front page to all my spread mirrors.

Last edited:
UI Update

Okay, here we go!

I am just about done with my UI update, belatedly addressing the visual impression feedback from a ways back.

http://taophoenix.seraphimlabs.net/ReVisionMobile.html

I am missing a few revisions to the graphics, and I probably broke a link or two and mis-spelled a word, but the basics are there.

In case the newer folks haven't see it, my project here has a FAQ page. I just updated it (postdated! heh) to cover the new developments - Hostalope and RLS Hosting. That FAQ page is here: http://taophoenix.seraphimlabs.net/Science/StudyFAQ.html

And so with that, by golly, I might have to finally settle down and work on my articles! :cool2:

Last edited:
Hello,

Been a little while since I've popped in here. We have some updates coming; cPanel will be available this weekend. Also, if you are using Direct Admin, maintenance will be performed 8/13 at 10pm. This will last two hours maximum, and likely no more than 45 minutes. We are available for questions at support@hostalope.com

Back