• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

My Geekrack review

Host Factory

I normally don’t complain about things in public but I just feel I like I am just hitting my head against a brick wall.

The reason I joined Geekrack was because they were very accommodating and didn’t have a bad rep at the time, they found out what I wanted in a server and very nice to me and promised me a new vps in a few hours of joining.

But problems started when I join, it took them a few days for them to get it active, when inquired about what was taking so long they said they was getting a new vps node so I thought ok just give them a bit of time.

When I got the server it didn’t properly work the httpd service kept failing (posted here about it) I cant remember the exact problem but it something about another client using to much resources and the server had to be rebuilt or something like that, it took nearly two weeks to sort this problem out, and in return I was given half price for my next month.

Now I have a new problem, I first realized it about 7.30 GMT time yesterday,i was trying to have a look at bit of my friend college work to try and help him with some of his work, which he loaded the day before, with this I did the normal first I checked WHM I couldn’t get access, then I tried SSH and couldn’t gain access, then I thought id try to reset the server via Hypermv and came across this message “This login has been Disabled. Please contact the administrator.”

First thing I did was to contact Geekrack via MSN and got no reply, then I posted a ticket, and was helped by Jason after abit of a talk he said he would look in to the matter at about 10:30pm. I asked for an up date today at about 10:30am and got a reply about 4:00pm again from Jason saying he just got on and would look into the matter.

I got no reply by the time i got home from work at 11:30ish looked in my mail box and found no I got no reply, I again contacted the msn support and still got no reply, then I tried the live support on their website and I was again greeted by Jason explained my problem to him he replied “okay” to it and 30 seconds later he ended the session. I tried several other times and each time it came up with a message about the operator can talk to me at this moment in time.

My advice at this moment in time is to stay away from this host until they have things sort, and when they get better support, i will keep you all updated on the matter

Last edited:
Eek, is it just me or is GeekRack going downhill?

Mind telling us your domain that you have hosted with them :)?

i had serval on the VPS but the main one was

host-factory.co.uk

its not only you who thinks they are going downhill

just a quick note please do not PM or email me with offers as I am getting out of server game because i have a busy few months ahead

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed,

a couple of weeks ago i was all song and praise for GR but just recently (my own issues aside) it seems that GR really have stepped down a level, i dont know whether this has anything to do with their DC or just what but things certainly are slacking for them atm

Thanks

FrdBed, you know i am working on your issue, and it is on the top of my list to get you fixed. i will keep you posted.

Geekrack is most surly going downhill. Their support sucks! The main problem i see with the company is that the owner tries to do everything. They have support rep's but they are pretty much "the middle man" to the owner.

Client ---> Support Rep ---> Owner ---> Data Center

It is just messed up.

Justin, not to bash or anything but when i speak to any of your sales/support reps through live support/msn i have been told 3 times that they would "have to see with shequita first".

Justin, can I ask how long you have been working with GR? It seems to me that you are acting like you own it.

Justin, can I ask how long you have been working with GR? It seems to me that you are acting like you own it.

I didnt even know he was working with them till a couple of days ago, when i spoke to sheq' about some design work, however i might add, he is pretty good on the support side of things and actually is listening to people unlike some of the staff at GR, i think justin would be able to run it by himself and probably better:S

I must say that I am now VERY happy when I decided not to go with Geekrack for my dedicated server.

Geekrackportal is down.
In the forum, they have the Image verification turned on but no image entering box, so no way to register an account and say something...

P.s.
Welcome, hsbsitez.
149948 Unread Posts since your last visit.
You last visited: December 11th, 2006 at 23:27

Actually you are incorrect. Geekrackportal is up. And it is geekrackportal.net not .com

9 other locations state the same.

1. Seattle, Washington, USA
OK
do traceroute
2. San Jose, California, USA
OK
do traceroute
3. Dallas, Texas, USA
OK
do traceroute
4. Ashburn, Virginia, USA
OK
do traceroute
5. Chicago, Illinois, USA
OK
do traceroute
6. Maidenhead, Berkshire, UK
OK
do traceroute
7. Amsterdam, Netherlands
OK
do traceroute
8. Singapore
OK
do traceroute
9. Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
OK
do traceroute

That is taking a long time :S Maybe they don't know how to fix it ;)
Oh if this is the problem, then I've to remove'em out from the list I've made to purchase new server from.

Well, thanks to Host Factory for reporting.

Actually you are incorrect. Geekrackportal is up. And it is geekrackportal.net not .com

do traceroute

I am going to .net. went to it through my bookmark, through their website and forum, and the firefox just presented me with a dialog box saying some error has occur.
geekrack.png

I can ping fine.
ping geekrackportal.net

Pinging geekrackportal.net [66.212.18.13] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 66.212.18.13: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=50
Reply from 66.212.18.13: bytes=32 time=26ms TTL=50
Reply from 66.212.18.13: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=50
Reply from 66.212.18.13: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=50

Ping statistics for 66.212.18.13:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 26ms, Maximum = 28ms, Average = 27ms

P.s: Did not think I will see someone from a vps hosting company I used for. Steadcom used to be cheap ^_^

Back