• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

A few questions regarding hacking

Are you interested in learning Ethical Hacking

• Yes

Votes: 12 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 8 40.0%

• Total voters

Tamranda

Good day!

I just wanted to have a small survey regarding a development we are planning. Sorry if its the wrong forum to post in.

NASSCOM has predicted a demand of 188,000 Security professionals by 2008.

Would you be interested in learning about Information Security & Ethical Hacking through professional Distance Learning courses to make a career in the field?

If yes, How much do you think should be the price for a distance learning program which teaches you ethical hacking?

I'd be interested purely on the basis that I'd like to know how to protect my server. I would expect the price to reflect the quality of the tutorials, I would be more willing to pay for in-depth video tutorials, for example.

I'd be interested purely on the basis that I'd like to know how to protect my server. I would expect the price to reflect the quality of the tutorials, I would be more willing to pay for in-depth video tutorials, for example.

It should be a CBT which contains Videos, demos, presentations etc. All the videos will be made by professionals with atleast 6 years of experience in the industry. The content will be of around 4 GB in total.

How much do you think the above product should be priced at?

The reasons why I made this thread was also to get an idea about how much money people would be comfortable in spending to learn something like this. It will be important to know about this inorder to develop the pricing strategy and product-mix.

I think thats what a lot of people do, but sure, it could work, how much would you consider charging for the course, roughly, and would you send it out on Dvd , or have it available to members, in an online portal?

I think thats what a lot of people do, but sure, it could work, how much would you consider charging for the course, roughly, and would you send it out on Dvd , or have it available to members, in an online portal?

Well around $100 for the course. Shipping extra.

The members can either download it in iso form or we will ship it in the set of DVDs.

I'd rather learn through my own exploration.

You could do that. But I guess it wont help much in making a career in the field. You would still need a certificate.

btw, the course cost ie $100 includes the online examination cost and if you pass you can get a certificate for $20.

The course will be approved by atleast a couple of international organisations and signed by some important people in the industry.

Is there an age limit?

(i'm intressted)

No, the only pre-requisites will be :

1. You should know english. All the videos, presentations etc will be in english.
2. You should have knowedge about basics of computers and internet. Knowledge about Servers, SSH, etc is always a plus.

Everyone in this industry should have experience in hacking (Ethical or not), and I know a few hosts around here have dark pasts. (Yes... You know who you are ;))

Just because someone hacked in the past is not a bad thing, it reality, they have finally figured out that it's wrong, and can put their experience to good use, securing servers against hackers.

Well. The main concern is not the price; it's who you’re going to get this signed by. If it was signed by some high up people, I would be willing to pay triple that price, but not for the course, for the certificate ;)

Last edited:
You could do that. But I guess it wont help much in making a career in the field. You would still need a certificate.

btw, the course cost ie $100 includes the online examination cost and if you pass you can get a certificate for $20.

The course will be approved by atleast a couple of international organisations and signed by some important people in the industry.

Oh, yes, because a certificate really shows how adept someone is in the field of computer security.

<edit>
I read your post wrong. I guess for some companies a certificate could make a difference between hiring and not hiring someone, but there are some aspects of computer security that must be learned through practical experience. IMO, certificates shouldn't be a "quick money fix!!!" like all those tech schools claim to be that you see advertised on TV. A course like this should add to what someone already knows. I'm a little stand-off-ish because that seems like what you're trying to convey.

Last edited:
I read your post wrong. I guess for some companies a certificate could make a difference between hiring and not hiring someone, but there are some aspects of computer security that must be learned through practical experience. IMO, certificates shouldn't be a "quick money fix!!!" like all those tech schools claim to be that you see advertised on TV. A course like this should add to what someone already knows. I'm a little stand-off-ish because that seems like what you're trying to convey.

The sole reason for the existence of the company will be to fill the requirement of ethical hackers which will reach 1,88,000 by 2008 as per NASSCOM.

Also, when you have some big org. and people signing the certificate, you have to make sure that you give the very best of quality. So, the exam will not be an easy one aswell.

I guess some of you might be considering $100 as a cheap price for a course. That wont mean that there will be any compromise with the quality or size of course. It will have everything that a person will need to learn about ethical hacking and reach a professional level.

Our costs will be pretty low since all operations will be done in India and thats why the price is low too.

Actually mct makes a valid point. Perhaps a free trial chapter or something to get people's interest and see the level of quality put into your stuff.

yeah, or like an introductory video of the course, and yeah, if it gave you a valid qualification, i would ( and im sure other serious individuals would do the same ) cough up upto, $400 for the course and the certificate, The only problem i can see is setting up an exam, you have to some approved exam board backing it really, but i hope it works out :)

just out of interest, which oganisations were you hoping to recieve the support and backing of ( i dont mean financial )

just out of interest, which oganisations were you hoping to recieve the support and backing of ( i dont mean financial )

The course will be approved by atleast 2 organisations. One of them being International Association for Distance Learning and other would be an organization related to ethical hacking which we are still looking for.

Actually mct makes a valid point. Perhaps a free trial chapter or something to get people's interest and see the level of quality put into your stuff.

You have made a very valid point. I will plan on getting a demo as well as presentation which has glimpses of all the content we have in the program.

How much do you think should be the price for a distance learning program which teaches you ethical hacking?

I guess something like $150 would be a fine price for the course and if the certificate is of even a little value, I will readily pay $30 - $50 for the exam+certificate.

I would be interested in this, I'll definately be taking a look at your course once it's up and running.

Back