• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

A few questions regarding hacking

Are you interested in learning Ethical Hacking

• Yes

Votes: 12 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 8 40.0%

• Total voters
I think the CEH course is a very well developed one, and highly recommend anyone who is in the security field take it. Compared to what real hackers know, it is only a glimpse, but as long as the creators keep up to date with the material, I love it.

I think the CEH course is a very well developed one, and highly recommend anyone who is in the security field take it. Compared to what real hackers know, it is only a glimpse, but as long as the creators keep up to date with the material, I love it.

I bet you havn't taken the course. One of my friend has and trust me, its so basic. If you are a webhost, you would already know 90% of the stuff. They put up too much stuff in the table of contents or course outline trying to show that they offer a lot in the course but in the end one finds out that most of sub-topics are like finished within 1 page of presentation and just a few facts about it are mentioned.

One more thing, its quite expensive aswell. Costs around $1000 for training and im not sure about the examination cost but thats around $250.

<edit>
Just checked the course outline for CEH latest version and the course outline is like 20 pages long but most of the topics will be finished within 1 page or even less. They have mentioned names of a lot of tools for every type of attack but would give practical of only a few. For rest of the tools, there would be a presentation with a screenshot of that tool and some arrows on that image telling where you enter this and that.

Another thing I dont like is that they are showing 100s of different tools which do the same thing. Like for footprinting or scanning, they have shown a good number of tools but all will serve mostly the same. They could have just shown one tool but probably a marketing gimick? so that the non-techy user thinks, they are really offering a lot of content.

Last edited:
I took it about 3 years ago actually, and my employer paid for it, so I had no objections to the price aspect. I don't pretend to be the biggest security nut, I still hired people to do this thoroughly for me, but some of my friends who were big into keeping everything secure did enjoy it. This isn't the same course as the poster is explaining though.

.. but some of my friends who were big into keeping everything secure did enjoy it. This isn't the same course as the poster is explaining though.

Strange, I read some online reviews aswell which said it wasn't good. However, one thing is for sure ... the certification is quite popular and recognised well.

I don't think they have any major competition in this market aswell. Does anybody know of any other EH training provider?

yeah, do let us know :)

It should be out before 31st March 2007. The pricing has been decided as below:

$110 for the course.
$20 For DVDs(Shipping included)
You can avoid this cost by downloading the course online.

After this, you get a 3 month time to learn from the interactive virtual classroom programme and give the exam online.
Online Examination cost - Free
Certification Material* Shipping Cost - $30
*This will include your ID Card, Certificates etc

So total cost for a person who downloads the course online - $140.

Your comments regarding the Price mix would be highly appreciated.

For all the FWS members who are interested in the course, please PM me and I can provide you a 50% off coupon using which you can order the programme for $55 instead of $110.

Tamranda,

I'm very interested. Do you have any information on the other organisation that is going approving this?

I have no need for it, but I'm interested in what makes you qualified to lecture on the subject ?

I worked as network admin for a multi billion dollar us corporate bank for a few years, and I wouldn't say I know enough to "qualify" other people.

Tamranda,
Do you have any information on the other organisation that is going approving this?

I'll get information on the same and PM you about it shortly.

I have no need for it, but I'm interested in what makes you qualified to lecture on the subject ?

Personally, Im sure I would be knowing less then you.

However, It is quite a big venture we are starting, funded by a venture capitalist.

The R&D Team which is developing the project cosists of 11 members who have on average around 8-9 years of experience. The Virtual Classroom programme is being developed since November Last year. Out of these 11 people, 4 are from IIT and one is from MIT as far as I know.

Once the product is launched, I'll ask someone from the team to join this forum and you can interact with them directly.

Thanks for the Info, I would be very interested, and will most probably be purchasing your product some time in June :).

However, I would really appreciate it if you could let me know in what way this program will be certified ( i.e. will it be backed/sponsored/supported by/affiliated with by any government body, online coporation or organisation ?). :)

Thanks again,
AMC

However, I would really appreciate it if you could let me know in what way this program will be certified ( i.e. will it be backed/sponsored/supported by/affiliated with by any government body, online coporation or organisation ?). :)

Actully, The company will be an independent, membership supported organization. We are planning to get affiliation or accreditation from 3 organisations out of which 1 is relatively small and new while the other 2 being international organisations. These 2 international organisations are very willing to provide us accreditation but they will have to wait till product is launched. By the time, the first batch attempts the online exam, we will have these certifications.

We are also planning to become members of National Organization for Competency Assurance (NOCA) and get NCCA accreditation. We will also try to follow draft standards set by the ISO COMMITTEE ON CONFORMITY ASSESSMENT (CASCO) but that would only be possible after atleast 2 to 3 months, after product release.

That doesn't meant that you wont have the value of NCCA accreditation on the course if you do the course in .. say august and we get NCCA accreditation in september.

Back