• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

A question to hosts

Jan

Forum Cleaner
NLC
Is there something you can break that doesn't allow clients to upload new/changed content? :eek3::confused4

The reason I ask is because I decided to start working on adding content to a newish domain which previously just had a page holder type thing. As with everything, I check the first page online before I do too much work to it.

I kept getting the message that /index.php couldn't be found on the server. I was about tearing my hair out. So after a while, I made a simple change to the .html page and uploaded it. You guessed it, no change when viewing it online.

In frustration, I changed the name servers and started working on the same content again and uploaded it just fine with the other host.

Did you get any errors while uploading? Did you try pinging the domain name to see if it was pointing to the correct server that you think you were uploading to?

I sorta had this problem when I was using cutenews. I posted a new news post and it didn't show up. Then I posted a new one and all came up. I still don't have the foggiest idea why it happened. It worked fine for me on another host.

Did you get any errors while uploading? Did you try pinging the domain name to see if it was pointing to the correct server that you think you were uploading to?
No errors. With the small change I made to the html file it prompted me to allow overwriting just fine.

Why should I ping the domain? I have never had to in all the years of uploading websites. And I have never come across this before.

I also made a change to fix something in my blog directory a few days ago and yesterday it reverted back to the original error. Overwriting it again does not work. So I think I will move that too to another host :S

No errors. With the small change I made to the html file it prompted me to allow overwriting just fine.

Why should I ping the domain? I have never had to in all the years of uploading websites. And I have never come across this before.

I also made a change to fix something in my blog directory a few days ago and yesterday it reverted back to the original error. Overwriting it again does not work. So I think I will move that too to another host :S

The ping is to make sure it was actually pointed to the server you are uploading to. I have seen many instances of clients uploading to a server while their domain was still pointing to their old server or their DNS did not propagate yet with their ISP.

Is the server setup properly?
How would I know, I am just the client. I have been using this host for a few months without a problem like that. My question was to hosts and if there is something they can break that won't allow updates.
The ping is to make sure it was actually pointed to the server you are uploading to. I have seen many instances of clients uploading to a server while their domain was still pointing to their old server or their DNS did not propagate yet with their ISP.
The domain has been hosted there for at least a month and the .html index has been there all that time and viewable. It is just not accepting changes.

How would I know, I am just the client. I have been using this host for a few months without a problem like that. My question was to hosts and if there is something they can break that won't allow updates.

Ah, okay. I thought you was on a VPS or something.
I just thought it was a problem with the server hardware not being setup properly, I've had this myself, it was down to the hard-drive. It had to be reconnected. Just inside FTP (Filezilla to be precise) I used to get an error about "ERROR: Upload failed, File is read only (555)." & "ERROR: Could not move/rename. File doesn't exist".

In that case the disk full is most likely the issue, file managers can sometimes just 'say' they did the job :wink2:

Changing to passive mode if you are uploading in port mode won't matter. Most FTP progs defaults switch and/or error if it's in the wrong mode for transfers so some form of error would have shown, and as it hasn't won't be transfer mode :)

If I use file manager, it will show online :S Pain in the arse having to use that though. Three extra windows for one file.

Back