• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Another new cheap host cost only $14 set up fee

Wasn't that one up when we talked about several domains on the same account? Was something fishy I think, but I don't remember.

what is all this stuff about
'i never heard of unlimited' and
'when was the last time you saw a unlimited hdd'?

Unlimited means.. ah.. oh WHOA NO LIMIT
Imagine that, now that means there is no limit on how much information you can upload. If there harddrives get full, they get more. Why have a limit when you dont need one?

Originally posted by Tobyn
what is all this stuff about
'i never heard of unlimited' and
'when was the last time you saw a unlimited hdd'?

Unlimited means.. ah.. oh WHOA NO LIMIT
Imagine that, now that means there is no limit on how much information you can upload. If there harddrives get full, they get more. Why have a limit when you dont need one?
If they say ulimited, they say it to cover up the real thing. I ran into a small problem recently, but I fixed it now. They say that your full path is /home/%username% but my path is /usr/home/s/i/%username% kinda strange.

But they can't just not honour their service features. Whether they have the space or not, its not your problem.

~Tobyn

I would advise everyone to go to directoris.com They have been greate for me the past couple of days. Replies to support mail come within an hour. Currently I host my friend on my account(PLenty of space).
Theirs only 1 prob. I think the 250megs is for webspace+MySQM+Mailboxes. Well, hey it still is a lot for 14$
Haha, I just found out directoris is a donhost reseller!

[Edited by gyrbo on 05-18-2001 at 06:16 PM]

Originally posted by Tobyn
But they can't just not honour their service features. Whether they have the space or not, its not your problem.

~Tobyn

Tobyn, if there is one thing I've learned from the forums it is this:

You sign up for an unlimited transfer hosting account, the site does well, uses too much of something (generally hidden in the TOS somewhere) and gets shut down without notice.

And whose problem is it now? Hmmmmm.

With unlimted anything, eventually it will be *your* problem, no matter if you *think* it is *their* problem.

Anyone who thinks that they are going to get $100's or $1,000's of services for $5/mo. is just not thinking straight. Think about how much it costs to build and run a dependable server, that isn't overloaded with accounts, hooked to a dependable, reduntant connection and equipment, backed up, utilizing dependable power sources/alternatives, and knowledgeable sys. admins and support reps.

Anything below *that* cost either is crap now, or will be very soon.

Sorry Gyrbo, it was mentioned early in this thread that they were on Donhost. :p
Check out their reseller deal. Trace new hosts with cheap plans and compare with Directoris trace and you may find some things out.

I don't know, but I don't think it's bad. Donhost seems to have fairly good rep (I've read up at the forums). Then I guess it's up to the reseller if he can make ends meat, that he doesn't put too many accounts on and so on.

Their page loads very fast!

Pings to them low too ;)

Pinging directoris.com [195.10.228.132] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 195.10.228.132: bytes=32 time=19ms TTL=248
Reply from 195.10.228.132: bytes=32 time=19ms TTL=248
Reply from 195.10.228.132: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=248
Reply from 195.10.228.132: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=248

Ping statistics for 195.10.228.132:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 18ms, Maximum = 19ms, Average = 18ms

What you need to do is find a site that someone has hosted with them to check out. Sometimes the host site is on a different server and it can be misleading.

Originally posted by jiminsd
What you need to do is find a site that someone has hosted with them to check out. Sometimes the host site is on a different server and it can be misleading.

That can be true. If anyone can give me a URL to their site they host on this webprovider I will ping it and post results.

My apology and my question

First I would like to apology for misposted new thread 2 days ago which supposed to be posted here regarding setting up the subdomain . Sorry for the mistake and I already delete the thread I misposted.

OK, come back to the question, I just wonder how fast they can set up the subdomain for us, anyone try it before? If I not mistaken, they don't have wild card and we need to ask them to set up the subdomain for us (based on what I read in this forum)

Re: My apology and my question

Originally posted by TC Tan
First I would like to apology for misposted new thread 2 days ago which supposed to be posted here regarding setting up the subdomain . Sorry for the mistake and I already delete the thread I misposted.

OK, come back to the question, I just wonder how fast they can set up the subdomain for us, anyone try it before? If I not mistaken, they don't have wild card and we need to ask them to set up the subdomain for us (based on what I read in this forum)

I need to do a website for a club, and cause I have a verry nice domain, I'll host a sub of mine. I'll keep you up-to-date about this.

Think about how much it costs to build and run a dependable server, that isn't overloaded with accounts, hooked to a dependable, reduntant connection and equipment, backed up, utilizing dependable power sources/alternatives, and knowledgeable sys. admins and support reps.

Anything below *that* cost either is crap now, or will be very soon.

Right on!

I have this discussion every day with potential customers, but heres the maths:

Leasing one server plus IP's and 100GB bandwidth@ $400 per month (low end - most of ours are much more than this)
= $4800 per year.

Max number of sites per server 240 (this is the most we have ever put on the one server - small plans)

=$20 per year cost.

This assumes a maximum usage of 100GB per month bandwidth across the server.

There is no way you could sell these packages at less than $20 per year and make a profit. If you are not making profit you will not be in business, letalone employing people who can keep your systems reliable.

Gordon

I dunno they may host it on there own computer or somthing depending on how many customers they have

Back