• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Anyone used Apples XServe OS?

Dynash

It gets better.
NLC
Just curious, has anyone used their Mac OS XServer?
I'm not a big fan of Apple, but it's just a "check the market" thing.

plus:
Xserve isn’t just for the Mac anymore. With out-of-the-box support for Mac, Windows, UNIX, and Linux clients, Xserve is the easiest way to provide powerful, innovative network and Internet services for multiplatform workgroups. And there are no client-access licenses, which means no extra fees. Leopard Server supports 64-bit addressing and large LUNs without requiring you to buy a special enterprise version.

IIRC, When I used to have a VPS with RapidVPS around a couple of years back they were using Apple XServe.

Apple XServe is just the server hardware, not the OS.
The XServer is just an Quad-Core Intel Xeon Harpertown server.
Did they use XServe WITH the OS, or was it just the server with a different OS?

2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon “Harpertown” processor
1600MHz frontside bus and 12MB L2 cache
2GB memory (800MHz DDR2 fully buffered DIMM ECC)
80GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA hard drive1
Built-in graphics with 64MB RAM
Mac OS X Server v10.5 Leopard Unlimited-Client Edition

Ships: Within 24 hours
Free Shipping
$2,999.00

Lol, i'm not going on about Xserve (that is just an Intel Hypertown server with an Apple logo) i'm talking about their OSX Server.

Well it's $999 for unlimited clients to MAC & PC clients, nothing to *NIX.

But considered at Alpha test level as a Leopard OS development.

As far as I'm aware, there might be some if you look deep enough.
but as for VMware, cPanel the answer is no, not with OSX yet.
Let's hope these companies bother to make it compatible. But other than that, as far as my opinion goes it's not worth it, since it's expensive, and not used alot. I just wondering if anyone has :)

Back