• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Apache or IIS ?

Wojtek

W as in Whisky
NLC
I'm not sure what to install on my windows box.

My sites portfolio:
4 php sites
2 php sites using mod_rewrite (currently using isapi_rewrite for windows)
2 asp .net sites

IIS would be able to run them no problem, but I'm wondering if perhaps using apache would be better on cpu/ram usage. aka use less resources.

Any advice?

i use apache in the my Unix servers ... Apache for win 32 is very fast,secure... Unlike iis ..

--- sorry my englis is bad i`m russian ---

i use apache in the my Unix servers ... Apache for win 32 is very fast,secure... Unlike iis ..
priviet

I know you use apache for your unix system, there is nothing else.
Also, unlike iis what? fast or secure?

http://blogs.msdn.com/michael_howard/archive/2004/10/15/242966.aspx
IIS > apache

What im conserned about is resources usage.
I'm very fine with IIS, thats what I use now. Just wondering if someone out there did indeed install apache instead of IIS and noticed a considerable resource usage change.

You know there are just things about the Windows server platform and IIS I just love. If it wasn't for CPanel I'd be using all windows!

Some background info:

ServerWatch.com said:
Performance

Gauging performance is always difficult because no matter how identical the systems to be tested are, minute changes in their configurations can have a dramatic effect on performance. It is possible to pick a "winner" based on bare-bones installations of both systems on the same hardware, but this doesn't really reflect the true performance capabilities of a system in the field. It's equally possible to configure one Apache and one IIS system to be either over- and under-efficient, again skewing the potential results.

Instead it's better to look at the potential capabilities of each system. IIS incorporates a wide range of features designed to improve performance. The worker process execution model provides significant performance benefits on multiprocessor machines, and the ASP and ISAPI extensions enable applications to be executed directly from within the processes handling the requests. The kernel mode driver, HTTP.sys, is also capable of serving pages directly from the cache (memory or disk) for both static and dynamic components, eliminating the need to send the request to a worker process. IIS automatically caches pages generated from dynamic elements to speed up responses.

Under Apache, the same range of facilities are present. Much information can be cached, and tools like mod_perl and mod_php enable the execution of dynamic and template pages almost as quickly as static pages. Like ASP and ISAPI filters under IIS, the modules effectively place the interpreter directly within the Apache executable, eliminating the need to run an external application and greatly improving performance.

i don't guys, i love apache and it has lots of freatures, you can even run asp.net script on apache, try searching google, there's a mod u can download. And using IIS on a web server, is like sending an invetation for hackers. Just ask T-Mobile and paris hitlon, how here cell phone info were hacked

And using IIS on a web server, is like sending an invetation for hackers. Just ask T-Mobile and paris hitlon, how here cell phone info were hacked
That comment is irrelevant.
A webserver is not a database :)

I've decided to stick with IIS on this windows box. Thank You.

Back