• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Are free hosts dying?!

NukedWeb

I was a web guru turned newb' after a 2 year hiatus offline, and coming back, looking for some places to stick a simple site, and all those places I remember having free sites are all paid-only now. Or is it just me?!?

I remember when I didn't need any frills, it was FreeServers -- paid only now. NetFirms, not anymore. Geocities, where my first page was 7 years ago...nope!

I'm wondering.....is there a list floating around these forums that have been updated in less than 2 years?! Even FWS's database needs a good going-through.

I don't need any frills. I just have maybe 8 HTML files, and 7 teeny tiny zip files (the site you see below in the sig). That's it. Any suggestions? =)

Hi NukedWeb,

We can offer you a free plan with 15MB of space and 500MB of transfer per month that would cover your needs. By posting in our forums, you can increase the amount of space and bandwidth allocated to your account. Further details can be found here. :)

Why not do the leg work and just read the posts? If you are a vet then you should know that!!

That's what I've been doing actually. (PS: *Use* to be a vet! I'm back to newb status) -- I was hoping to find recommendations from users, instead of people plugging their own hosting service, which seems to be the majority here.

I can't do the whole posts-for-hosts thing that many of these guys offer because I'm leaving the internet again. They don't let us post from federal prison :p I just wanted to have a few sites with my scripts floating around out there while I'm gone, just sort've as a nostalgic way of not being forgotten when I'm gone. :p

Hmm, actually, Ctrl-Alt-Deli.com sounds like the best place to get a nice meatball sub.. ;)

I'm not trying to get up to speed, maybe just to a slow crawl... :p

I was oddly entertained reading your Denied Accounts forum. "Denied!! Denied denied DENIED!!! Hmm, Chinese? DENIED!" :D

What I love is how people change there country to Canada, becuase Im from Canada :D, but I dont discrimate I just dont accept people who copy already accepted applications and those that ask without following the rules!

NukedWeb said:
That's what I've been doing actually. (PS: *Use* to be a vet! I'm back to newb status) -- I was hoping to find recommendations from users, instead of people plugging their own hosting service, which seems to be the majority here.

The reason why you're getting the plug from hosts is because this is generally the thread where hostees would request whatever it is they need, I agree that others just dont read the entire post before suggesting their own plans. If you want recommendations then a thread like this can be helpful

http://www.freewebspace.net/forums/showthread.php?t=68425

you get the odd ones that would recommend themselves but hey, you get that.

FWS has got a review section located here:
http://www.freewebspace.net/php/topList.php?cat=overall
you may want to check that out

hope that helps.

I would say that a lot of free hosts are dying...

It has got to the stage where people now expect hosting without the need to give anything in return. How can costs be met if there is nothing in it for the host.

A lot of requests here are now demanding 500mb - 5gb space with unmetered bandwidth. They also say they want no links, ads, banners, pop-ups and no forum posting requirements. I do not even entertain these greedy requests. If you want free hosting, give something back to the host.

If a host puts no ads or banners etc on your site then the only way to recover a small fraction of costs is to enforce forum posting. This is not because free hosts are sadistic and enjoy forcing people to post, it is because, while people are on our forums there is a slight chance you may click one of our ads and generate a few measly cents for us to put towards costs.

So when requesting free hosting people should keep in mind that hosts need to earn something. If you choose a host that does none of the above then the chances are you will be looking for another host again very soon.
My 2 cents :)

Well my free host isnt dieing, it just went up :) But no, i wont recommend myself :p

But yes, i have noticed a large decline in the number of free hosts but more specifically *quality free hosts*. Its unfortunate but true....

talkhost said:
I would say that a lot of free hosts are dying...

It has got to the stage where people now expect hosting without the need to give anything in return. How can costs be met if there is nothing in it for the host.

A lot of requests here are now demanding 500mb - 5gb space with unmetered bandwidth. They also say they want no links, ads, banners, pop-ups and no forum posting requirements. I do not even entertain these greedy requests. If you want free hosting, give something back to the host.

If a host puts no ads or banners etc on your site then the only way to recover a small fraction of costs is to enforce forum posting. This is not because free hosts are sadistic and enjoy forcing people to post, it is because, while people are on our forums there is a slight chance you may click one of our ads and generate a few measly cents for us to put towards costs.

So when requesting free hosting people should keep in mind that hosts need to earn something. If you choose a host that does none of the above then the chances are you will be looking for another host again very soon.
My 2 cents :)

That is like my favorite post ever..lol. I have a had a hosting site up for more than a year now and more than 75% of our accounts are free. Its all about balance my friend because give our users the option of ads, posting, or a service which means they can offer us anything they like. We also have contests and things and I have made a bit of money. Free hosting is cool, just remember to make sure everyone gets a fair deal.

In my personal opinion free hosts have not died at all I used to only use Geocities or Bravenet but after coming here nearly a year ago I have been opened to the BETTER free hosting I never expected to have 240MB with just 3GB of Bandwith, Free domains (I use uni.cc well b4 they stopped giving out DNS), Emails using your domain or subdomain the options are endless I will never use any other control panels besides Cpanel I have learned so much and been so happy finding the good side of free hosting no ADS for MORE I LOVE IT!

aggiedude said:
In my personal opinion free hosts have not died at all I used to only use Geocities or Bravenet but after coming here nearly a year ago I have been opened to the BETTER free hosting I never expected to have 240MB with just 3GB of Bandwith, Free domains (I use uni.cc well b4 they stopped giving out DNS), Emails using your domain or subdomain the options are endless I will never use any other control panels besides Cpanel I have learned so much and been so happy finding the good side of free hosting no ADS for MORE I LOVE IT!

That hold true as well.. By the way-your signature can be no larger than four lines. :)

Thing is....

Ever since PHP got popular, I've watched those "Free PHP! Free MySQL! Free Everything~!! Woohoo!!" sites pop up like a plague, and I watched each and every one of their domains go up for sale in a month :p Why?! Because they realized they were offering too much for free...oops? No biggie to them, they'll just delete everyone's site and start over.

No I'm not bitter, I just choose to pick a free host more carefully. I don't want a site that offers 15 billion gigatons of space and whatnot. No cPanel stuff. No PHP. No MySQL. 10 megs of space. Why? Because I know they'll still be here tomorrow! Unlike www.HaveSite.com who closed their doors within 24 hours of signing up! And they werent offering that much. :p

I want the ads!! I want the freakin' low space! and low bandwidth! Because I'm not gonna be here to change links around when a 13-year-old gives up on his bazillion dollar hosting dream. I'll be in Federal Prison watchin' my butt while other guys watch mine as well =/

NukedWeb said:
Thing is....

Ever since PHP got popular, I've watched those "Free PHP! Free MySQL! Free Everything~!! Woohoo!!" sites pop up like a plague, and I watched each and every one of their domains go up for sale in a month :p Why?! Because they realized they were offering too much for free...oops? No biggie to them, they'll just delete everyone's site and start over.

No I'm not bitter, I just choose to pick a free host more carefully. I don't want a site that offers 15 billion gigatons of space and whatnot. No cPanel stuff. No PHP. No MySQL. 10 megs of space. Why? Because I know they'll still be here tomorrow! Unlike www.HaveSite.com who closed their doors within 24 hours of signing up! And they werent offering that much. :p

I want the ads!! I want the freakin' low space! and low bandwidth! Because I'm not gonna be here to change links around when a 13-year-old gives up on his bazillion dollar hosting dream. I'll be in Federal Prison watchin' my butt while other guys watch mine as well =/

This is the funniest thing I've read in the last hour, funny but true. Your honesty and cynical views on some hosting services are refreshing.

on that note, I will offer you minimum space, 1GB of bandwidth(no more) no bells & whistles, 1 email, 1 FTP account, 1 MySQL Database - thats it!

This is a custom plan so you have to PM if you wish to proceed. :biggrin2:

Back