• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Bandwidth

Berne

Hi All,

What is the difference apart from the obvious in 25GB of Bandwidth and 50GB, I mean is this soley realted to the speed of data upload or download, ie from one computer to a server and visa versa?

Curious,

Berne...:rolleyes2

Well, in the terms you'll see most people around here use it, it means neither.

Bandwidth is the speed or capacity at which data can be transferred, but here people use it as the amount of data-transfer you recieve.

So with 250GB, you'll be getting 5 times more transfer, but it will be at the same speed.

Hi Bruce,

Thank you, I guess you could compare bandwidth then to small roads and freeways, the more bandwidth the more traffic or data it can carry, but I am still puzzled in regard to speed.

I have a 1mg BB connection, and I want to know how long a 15mb file should take to upload onto a particular server? Now, I get an average of 128kb/sec download speed and I expect to get half that on the upload to any server, do you agree? Its just my 15mb file took over half an hour, I know about peak rate traffic causing bottlenecking ect but what should I really get as far as speed on the upload is concerned?

Sorry about the delay with the reply I just opened it today.

Berne...

Residential broadband can very widely in terms of speed.

Your IP tells me that NTL is your ISP. A quick search then turned up that your maximum upload rate is only 128k.

128k = 16 kB/s
15 MB = 15,360 KB
15,360 / 16 = 960 (sec) / 60 = 16 min

So assuming you were getting your maximum speed (which is highly unlikely because of overhead and such) it would take at least 16 minutes to upload a 15MB file. You're much more likely to average closer to 12 kB/s or possibly lower.

With that said, 30 minutes to upload a 15MB file on your connection isn't too out of the norm.

I personally prefer to use the term transfer as it is proper. The reason I use the term bandwidth is because it is more commonly mistaken as transfer. If you display 50 GB transfer to someone they might be confused and wonder what that means. Bandwidth just has become a replacement term for many people.

trighost said:
I personally prefer to use the term transfer as it is proper. The reason I use the term bandwidth is because it is more commonly mistaken as transfer. If you display 50 GB transfer to someone they might be confused and wonder what that means. Bandwidth just has become a replacement term for many people.
I think I have always said "transfer" in my offers and such. I am very careful not to say bandwidth, since you could get somebody that's very nasty and sue you for not giving them a 20GB per second connection that month. After all, you did give them 20GB of bandwidth, right? ;)

Bandwidth = Amount of data that physically can be transffered.
Through-put = Amount of data that does get transffered.

Back