• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Buying a webhost

Volt.Networks

Bolded!
NLC
Someone is offering me their web hosting company

i was wondering how i can make sure that its not a scam or something.... like how do i know if they really have a server and clients?

Check the IP & see how many domains are hosted, also ask him to post screen shots of root access with the IP address, get there contact number & quiz them with questions. Once your 100% sure.... do the deal.

Don't buy tiny hosting companies, because many want ridiculous prices for what they actually got, and you will be much better off spending the money on marketing instead. Host-buying is never pleasant.

Craig said:
Check the IP & see how many domains are hosted, also ask him to post screen shots of root access with the IP address, get there contact number & quiz them with questions. Once your 100% sure.... do the deal.

and how do i do that?

Unless they can prove to you, and really prove to you, that they are making money or prove whatever reason you'd want to buy them, and they are offering you a fair price, I wouldn't buy it. There's a reason they're selling. :)

If it were me, i'd save my money.

i find that a lot of reasons people sell out is due to they start this as a hobby or try to make it big and when there plans flop or they decide they are tired of spending endless hours being the one man show and want out they sell instead of just closing up shop.

Not all that sell are selling cause of bad reps. or due to issues. best thing to do also is search on the popular forums to see if there are any bad posts or concerns about the company.

thanks for the tips

i have searched up the host in questoin and found fishy results. if they can not verify anything then i will look else where. i'll update again once i get another response

also, if i do purchase their company, how do i make sure i dont pay for nothing?

Vietkid58 said:
also, if i do purchase their company, how do i make sure i dont pay for nothing?

You can't unless you trust the seller or you have a good legal contract drawn up.

If you're that unsure, then don't part with any cash or work out a staged payment dependant on customers not leaving so your risk is reduced. When you take over make sure you let all the customers know and hold their hand for a while so they have no reason to leave.

If you are paying XXX or under for it, don't bother with contracts. It's not an amount later you are going to court-battle for. If you wish to form a proper standing contract, you need a legal helper to write you one.

If you have doubts about the person you are buying from - don't buy

Vietkid58 said:
who can draw up a legal contract and how does that ensure a safe transaction?

If you need to ask, then I suggest you review some basic business courses.

Bottom line, don't part with the cash if you have any concerns or don't have the necessary business experience to cover your self. If it's low value, then the lawyer will probably cost you more than the host.

If you still do want to buy, then look at stage payments to reduce your risk.

Best of luck :)

Vietkid58 said:
i have searched up the host in questoin and found fishy results. if they can not verify anything then i will look else where. i'll update again once i get another response
Good reason to research thoroughly before buying an "established host" :) The horror stories I hear would make me think 100 times before buying any business. I think the more "security" they put up front, such as NDA, escrow etc, the better chance you are dealing with a serious company. As always, buying anything online is Caveat Emptor.

Edit: If you want to PM the name of the host you are reseaching, PM me and I will see if I can be of assistance.

Jan said:
Good reason to research thoroughly before buying an "established host" :) The horror stories I hear would make me think 100 times before buying any business. I think the more "security" they put up front, such as NDA, escrow etc, the better chance you are dealing with a serious company. As always, buying anything online is Caveat Emptor.

Edit: If you want to PM the name of the host you are reseaching, PM me and I will see if I can be of assistance.

thanks

i sent a PM =]

rajhosting is offering me the company but i thought the comapny was sold. i recieve his emails telling me its still for sale. what should i do?

he says he has a server with RTGasia, with roughly 20 clients or so.

yeah, so i told him to make me an account so i can test it and he did:
dat.rajhosting.com

i'm chatting with him now, any questions i should ask him to verify that he didnt sell it and that he is legit and such?

The whois details have changed:

Domain: rajhosting.com
Cache Date: 2006-05-15
Registrar: WILD WEST DOMAINS, INC.

Registrant:
Dot Com Domains For Sale
RR 3 Box 2003
Effort, Pennsylvania 18330
United States

Registered through: Dot Com Domains For Sale
Domain Name: RAJHOSTING.COM
Created on: 02-Dec-05