• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Buying "Refurbished" Hardware

NukedWeb

Have any of you ever had a bad experience with buying "refurbished" hardware? I ask because I'm buying yet another laptop hard drive from newegg.com, and $60 for an 80-gig is hard to pass up. Then again, I seem to have bad luck with laptop hard drives. This'll make #3!

Any bad experiences with this type of stuff?

I bought a refurbished printer a few months back. The only thing it had wrong with it was the "door" to the print cartridge was broken. A little super glue fixed that. :D

In all I got a $230 (MRSP) printer for $52 and I'm happy with it.

Does the refurbished drive come with a warrenty? That would be a big factor.

I bought a refurbished HD once and after a few weeks I tossed it out because it died. Even though brand new stuff can get expensive I'd suggest saving up and getting a brand new HD and see how long it lasts and if something goes wrong with it you can send it back and get it replaced for no cost, as long as your warranty hasn't ended.

I know Maxtor re-manufactures all of the drives they get sent back under warrenty. They also send you a re-manufactured drive as a replacement if you send one in that's under warrenty. The exception to this is if you have a drive that's less than 30 days old they send you a brand new one.

My "guess" is the refrubs only have the broken parts replaced and the remaining parts are used. Thus, they might not last quite as long.

For a HDD I'd definatly buy new but for some items refurbs are excellent buys.

I bought a refurb HP 9695c and it has been great! No problems, that was two years ago.. I'm building a new pc and turning that one into a Linux PC full time :)

I never buy refurbs...just brand new or 2nd hand.

Polykranopalous, I was referring to nukeweb's post. What brand of refurbed lappy hard drive?

Back