• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Can they arrest you for not returning library books?

M Bacon

Hi, I have gotten a letter from the prosecutor saying that I owe money to the library. I returned the books(paid for them too)and I'm afraid they are not going to contact the prosecutor and I am going to get arrested for something I didn't do or never heard of. Other people don't get the letter until later. I think its harrassment pure and simple. What should I do?

I wouldnt worry to much about it..I think they have alot more serious offences to worry about then a library book, especially if you paid them as well. Dont worry mate smile its a good day :D

The thing is why would they want to arrest somebody for library books? Its like duh! I haven't turned in my books for weeks at the other libraries and they didn't do the same stuff. I was shaking half to death because of this.

LOL dont worry i would hope your city would have better ways to invest hard earned tax dollars than to chase people with overdue books..But then again this is America so who knows..lol

You get one of these and you wait for the bastards:
300px-AUG_A1_508mm_04.jpg

Actually, I have no idea what to do in that case. I really hope they have better things to do than to go after you for that. Do you live in a small town? That might explain things better ... (small town ... no income other than tickets ... wants to make an example of "dem delinquents?" ... you get the idea)

If you think they really will go after you for something as petty as a nonreturned book, seek legal advice from a lawyer, not us (as long as what they're seeking is worse than what you'll pay a lawyer). And then after it's all over, ask for written proof when you return books. :eek2:

Last edited:
Just pay the $1.00 fine and be done with it.

Apparently he's already returned the books and paid the fines.

If they're still hassling you and you think that they know full well that you've paid the fines, I'd take them to small claims court for harassment.

They arrest you and kill you in the gas chamber!
so you better get them books back fast!

They send a collections agency after you, who can take your car, your house, or whatever, assuming that you haven't already paid your dues. If they ask, give them the library's number and your library card number and you should be fine.

They send a collections agency after you, who can take your car, your house, or whatever, assuming that you haven't already paid your dues. If they ask, give them the library's number and your library card number and you should be fine.

I think the most they'll be able to take is up to the value of the book + the collection agency's fees.

just return the books and pay the fine. I see that you have returned them... so you have nothing to worry about.

No need to ruin your reputation by keeping some old books.

Ah yes, the library police. You don't want to mess with them. Looks like it's already too late for you, though. :(

;)

Back