• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Computer unexpectedly shuts off! help

mattie005

Hi all,

My computer keeps on unexpectedly shutting off. Here are my specs in details:

ASUS p5vd2-mx/p5v-vm DH motherboard
Linksys Wireless-B 2.4GHz router
Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.40GHz, 1.00GB of RAM
120GB hard-drive
19" Wide LCD Monitor
Lightscribe DVD-Rom Drive
Asus 2D/3D Graphic and Video Accelerator (not sure what model but it says: V548 on it)
USB 2.0 PCI Card 5 Port
Microsoft Windows XP - Home Edition - SP2

I have ran several Zone Alarm Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware scans, and i have done Registary repairs, still no luck. I have also took the right panel off the case and see if it is overheating (plenty of air getting in) but it still shuts off. I tried cleaning it to get dust and dirt out as well.

Now heres the weird thing, it shuts off when i am playing a game and it minimizes to the destop, then 10 secs - 15 secs later it shuts off. I have a feeling it is the graphics, and is always happens when i am playing any full-screen game. I keep getting alerts about "SLI rendering" which is really annoying as it is telling me to put another graphics card in, but surely that wouldnt shut the computer off.

Also when i am burning to a CD-Rom or DVD-Rom via Nero, it shuts off in the middle of that.

I also shuts off when i am using a lot of memory, eg running a lot of windows or doing a virus scan (sometimes) which is very fustrating.

I hope with all the details i have given you guyes, you can tell me WHY my computer is shutting off, and tell me possible reasons why it is doing this.

Thank you in advance.

Please have a look in the Event Viewer.

Start -> Run -> eventvwr <Enter>

Any strange messages there ? Maybe overheating ?

PaulP.

Actually, its like this 'panic mode' that a Windows station goes into when some type of internal error occurs such as file corruption, anything. This happened on my HDD running Win ME. I have previous made a start up disk and it worked fine afterwards.

But in your case, you're using Win. XP. I recommend using the system restore.

But then again. The way you're describing it, it sounds like either power failure or a vital file that aids Win. XP in it's operation has been corrupted.

But bleh, what do I know? :p

When i boot it up, sometimes it says this error:

From that can you tell what is causing it?

Is that on what's called the POST screen, the one right at the start when you power on?
If so have you overclocked the CPU or RAM, possibly using a windows util, if so start in Safe Mode and uninstall it as your system isn't stable with the 'tweaks'

You shouldn't overclock your system or this will most likely happen. It's overheating, and usually, your BIOS tells your system to shut down when it hits a certain temperature to cause from fire.

- Lucas

Agreed,

If your getting those messages changes are you have overclocked and now its overheating and shutting off to save itself from burning out.

Back