• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Deleted Objects

Dan

Bullah
NLC
Hey folks,
I know this sounds strange but hear me out.

I have recently deleted a large amount of data from my PC. Before deleting, my used space was 45% used from 72 GB. However, after deleting, it is still at 45% (55% available).
So, obviously, when you delete stuff, it doesn't actually get deleted but is stored elsewhere on the harddrive.

Does anyone know where I can get to these items and completely remove them from my PC?
I don't want to use a file shredder nor do I want to reformat.

If anyone knows it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Dan

Do you have system restore turned on? It tends to hog a bit of space depending on the size of the Hard Drive.

Do you have system restore turned on? It tends to hog a bit of space depending on the size of the Hard Drive.

No it's not turned on.
Basically, I know there is a hidden location on the HD where deleted items go.

I once had a code you place in start>>run that brings up a page with all of these items in so they can be removed. But I can't for the life of me find that code again.

I am assuming you powered all the way down, then back up? If so, and it's still the same, try a disk defrag.

No it's not turned on.
Basically, I know there is a hidden location on the HD where deleted items go.

I once had a code you place in start>>run that brings up a page with all of these items in so they can be removed. But I can't for the life of me find that code again.

this scares me.

You need to use software to write over the data. Don't know of any free software that does it though.

It's a DOS level command, it tells the command interpreter to check the drive/partition and fix any faults it finds.
And as for 'having' to overwrite the data, that'll do nothing.

Might seem a bit silly but when you say a large amount of data - is that because you counted a good few Gb of data or just a lot of files (that may have all been small) - and is the disk compressed?

LOL

That's why I posted this. I want it to stay gone too but it is obviously not gone.

Back