• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Do you get many clients who only signup half way?

energizedit

Just curious what your ratio of signups to actual paying customers is. I've had people signup recently only to get to the pay/checkout page and never pay. I'm using paypal as my cc processor and just wondered if that maybe turning people away.

Thanks

Mark

This can happen when a client gets to checkout and is unable to make a payment using PayPal. Not all countries have PayPal and it's possible these clients signing up are looking for an alternative such as 2CheckOut to make a payment using their credit/debit card.

Good info John. To further this, maybe the OP should check out the funnels in Google Analytics, this can possibly help shine some light on why they are not completing the payment process.

And to answer, we do experience this from time to time with orders but have used the above methods to keep it at a minimum. Simplify :)

there are some clients who just check the whole process if they can get a free account as human error or because of wrong settings

My ratio is 7.04%.
I have 2 paid customers so far and 44 who use my order form and then leave as soon as they reach the PayPal page.
This probably has something to do with me not paying for my advertising, and get it from this forum, and cheap banner ads. Yes, no AdWords.
So why does this happen?

• People cannot afford $2-$40 a month believe it or not. I get many people asking me for free resellers.
  • Most of the free hosting market or people on free hosting forums is populated by teenagers without jobs and young adults with little money
  • People try to get my paid hosting packages on my order form for free. How? Read below.

Since I added a T0 package to my order form, which does not appear as hosting packages on my website, all these fake signups now choose the T0 package. I had to do this to use the PayPal Sandbox to fix my order form as the accounting functions were deprecated so I had to change it to the WHM XML API. Otherwise, people would not receive their account upon paying for the hosting account.

I have a T0 hosting package on my order form which implies that there is a secret free hosting package, which they can get on my webhost with instant activation, without joining my forum and making 20 posts to get free hosting from me, hence the number zero, meaning without cost. They think they can use PayPal to pay $0.00 and get a hosting account as "why else would I add such a package?"

What they don't realise is that PayPal demands $0.01 or above as PayPal does not accept payments of $0.00. What they also don't know is that T0 is a test hosting package for me to use when I enable the PayPal Sandbox payment processor.

I delete these test signups after 28 days, as my billing scripts highlights them as a "payment overdue" customer. I still have the emails, and their registration details. And what surprises me is that only 16 of these 44 people have entered their correct details, such as their name, address and phone number. This is 7.04%. So they must be genuine customers without money in their bank account, because as I said that alot of people on free hosting forums have little or no money, even if they are over 18.

(PayPal Sandbox allows scripts like php scripts to make test payments with test accounts to ensure that the order form works. I used this to code and fix my billing script.)

Last edited:
i get tons of these orders,
a lot of them hope that they can get the account for free and hope for the billing system to auto create account when the order is submitted, not after payment, lol

Just curious what your ratio of signups to actual paying customers is. I've had people signup recently only to get to the pay/checkout page and never pay. I'm using paypal as my cc processor and just wondered if that maybe turning people away.

Thanks

Mark

I did that on a few websites. I only go far enough to see what type of payment they accept or what is the total. I never go through the order, that is i never select the type of payment. Either that, or i empty card and move on to check the next. I guess some people go even further to see the whole process....

i get tons of these orders,
a lot of them hope that they can get the account for free and hope for the billing system to auto create account when the order is submitted, not after payment, lol

Yea, some people actually complain about that too... They say they ordered but never recieved their hosting. When double checked, turns out they never paid!

Btw, great VPS offers! Loving the new cPanel VPS i got from you!

How do you keep a track of these orders? Does the billing software record them too?

If you order fully, billing software keeps your record.

@somik
glad that you happy with ur VPS
:)

anyway, back to the topic.
some people used stolen paypal accounts to purchase the service, and when the paypal block the transaction and hold the payment, thenthey keep on saying that they didn't receive their account and spaming the ticket system.....
sometimes it is really annoyed by these people who did not make payment but demand for the account which had to be paid before they can get their account...

My ratio is 7.04%.
I have 2 paid customers so far and 44 who use my order form and then leave as soon as they reach the PayPal page.
This probably has something to do with me not paying for my advertising, and get it from this forum, and cheap banner ads. Yes, no AdWords.
So why does this happen?

• People cannot afford $2-$40 a month believe it or not. I get many people asking me for free resellers.
  • Most of the free hosting market or people on free hosting forums is populated by teenagers without jobs and young adults with little money
  • People try to get my paid hosting packages on my order form for free. How? Read below.

Since I added a T0 package to my order form, which does not appear as hosting packages on my website, all these fake signups now choose the T0 package. I had to do this to use the PayPal Sandbox to fix my order form as the accounting functions were deprecated so I had to change it to the WHM XML API. Otherwise, people would not receive their account upon paying for the hosting account.

I have a T0 hosting package on my order form which implies that there is a secret free hosting package, which they can get on my webhost with instant activation, without joining my forum and making 20 posts to get free hosting from me, hence the number zero, meaning without cost. They think they can use PayPal to pay $0.00 and get a hosting account as "why else would I add such a package?"

What they don't realise is that PayPal demands $0.01 or above as PayPal does not accept payments of $0.00. What they also don't know is that T0 is a test hosting package for me to use when I enable the PayPal Sandbox payment processor.

I delete these test signups after 28 days, as my billing scripts highlights them as a "payment overdue" customer. I still have the emails, and their registration details. And what surprises me is that only 16 of these 44 people have entered their correct details, such as their name, address and phone number. This is 7.04%. So they must be genuine customers without money in their bank account, because as I said that alot of people on free hosting forums have little or no money, even if they are over 18.

(PayPal Sandbox allows scripts like php scripts to make test payments with test accounts to ensure that the order form works. I used this to code and fix my billing script.)

I should look into this sandbox mode since I am in the process of automating my paypal-based billing system. Nice of them to provide such a feature so I don't have to pay them $.05 transaction fee to send $2 to myself once a month.

The way mine is going to work is it keeps track of the account from the moment they first enter their information, but I don't recieve an email dispatch to review the account info and create it until they have completed all of the processes including payment.

The other thing mine is going to do is on late payments a reminder notice will be sent, with another dispatch coming to me after 30 days overdue so that I know it's time to suspend their account until it is paid again.

Which API set are you using? I was going to use IPN since I already have some http post-based code in place and it would work nicely with the PHP/MySQL setup, but if there is a more efficient way to do this with monthly subscription paypal it would be best for me to do so.

So far of the past 50 people to fill out the first form on my signup, only 2 have confirmed their email and prompted the dispatch email.

[JSH]John;1093860 said:
This can happen when a client gets to checkout and is unable to make a payment using PayPal. Not all countries have PayPal and it's possible these clients signing up are looking for an alternative such as 2CheckOut to make a payment using their credit/debit card.

He's right, you should also consider the means of payment. You can easily check which country accepts Paypal by simply visiting the Paypal website. In addition, make sure that your offer is really affordable in a way that no customer or client will have a second thought in the long run.

Back