• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Does Coke remove rust?

Riverworld

This one has been making me wonder for a while... so I'm going to do a controlled experiment and find out for myself if it works. I'm going to be fairly strict with it, and make sure all the nails have the same amount of rust on them, etc...

Before I do, does anyone want to make a hypothesis (what you think will happen), and why? Is there some ingredient in the Coke that will react with the iron oxide (rust) that removes it?

yep, it sure does remove blood. in fact, i've been told that they sometimes use it to remove the blood from the road at car accidents :eek:

*glances at glass of Coke warily*

Incidentally, I think the Coke will remove the rust in like two seconds. :eek:

Hold on just a tic, everything in this thread is a myth. An urban legend, and old wives tale, etc, etc. I will find the site that states this for you soon, but for now ponder this, as far as i know it is the bubbles that give coke the acidic effect, the bubbles go away after a while, hence making the coke lose it's "acidity". If you placed a steak in a bowl of coke, all you would get is a very soggy steak, if you poured coke onto a blood stain, you'd just get a blood+coke stain.

Originally posted by Moonman
Hold on just a tic, everything in this thread is a myth. An urban legend, and old wives tale, etc, etc. I will find the site that states this for you soon, but for now ponder this, as far as i know it is the bubbles that give coke the acidic effect, the bubbles go away after a while, hence making the coke lose it's "acidity". If you placed a steak in a bowl of coke, all you would get is a very soggy steak, if you poured coke onto a blood stain, you'd just get a blood+coke stain.

must you ruin our fun :biggrin2:

1. In many states (in the USA) the highway patrol carries two gallons of Coke in the trunk to remove blood from the highway after a car accident.

2. You can put a T-bone steak in a bowl of coke and it will be gone in two days.

3. To clean a toilet: Pour a can of Coca-Cola into the toilet bowl and .......Let the "real thing" sit for one hour, then flush clean. The citric acid in Coke removes stains from vitreous china.

4. To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers: Rub the bumper with a crumpled-up piece of Reynolds Wrap aluminum foil dipped in Coca-Cola.

5. To clean corrosion from car battery terminals: Pour a can of Coca-Cola over the terminals to bubble away the corrosion.

6. To loosen a rusted bolt: Applying a cloth soaked in Coca-Cola to the rusted bolt for several minutes.

7. To remove grease from clothes: Empty a can of coke into a load of greasy clothes, add detergent, And run through a regular cycle. The Coca-Cola will help loosen grease stains. It will also clean road haze from your windshield.

FYI:

1. The active ingredient in Coke is phosphoric acid. Its Ph is 2.8. It will dissolve a nail in about 4 days.

2. To carry Coca-Cola syrup (the concentrate) the commercial truck must use the Hazardous material place cards reserved for Highly corrosive materials.

3. The distributors of coke have been using it to clean the engines of their trucks for about 20 years!

In response to this, and similar chain letters, The Coca-Cola Company recommends you use cleaning products to make your house shine and save the Coke for drinking.

We are unaware of any state patrol officers using Coke for any purpose other than refreshment. Plain water would be as effective and less costly for cleaning pavement.

The myths about disappearing teeth, nails, steaks and various other objects are just that--myths. These stories continue to spring up and get recycled because each new generation finds them hard to ignore, but they simply are not true.

The other claims may be true to a lesser extent because there is a small amount of edible acid present in many foods, including fruit juices, buttermilk, and soft drinks, such as Coca-Cola. It is possible that the edible acid in any of these products could have the effects described, even though it's still quite safe to drink these products. However, we don't make any claims relating to other uses. Instead, we recommend using products specifically designed for cleaning or rust removal.

Actually #5 is true. I have used coke to clean the corrosion off battery terminals. It cleaned them spotless.

I have also used coke to clean bugs off my windshield. However, I then had to wash my windshield with water because it was all sticky, which made it worse than the bugs. But hey, it DID get the bugs off, and was got them off the fastest. It WONT get off road grime and tar though off the side of your car. Antifreeze works good for that....but it has a bad side effect, the paint comes off too a few days later :D

1. The active ingredient in Coke is phosphoric acid. Its Ph is 2.8. It will dissolve a nail in about 4 days.

Well, guess you better not go swimming. The average ph in a pool is 7.8 :p

Originally posted by Riverworld
This one has been making me wonder for a while... so I'm going to do a controlled experiment and find out for myself if it works. I'm going to be fairly strict with it, and make sure all the nails have the same amount of rust on them, etc...

Before I do, does anyone want to make a hypothesis (what you think will happen), and why? Is there some ingredient in the Coke that will react with the iron oxide (rust) that removes it?

It will rust more, coke also has water in it..

I don't think it will remove the rust. It might chip a little away from it with the bubbles, especially if you attach the nail to a battery terminal (neg, not positive IIRC) but no, otherwise...no.
*finishes can of coke*

Originally posted by Webdude
Well, guess you better not go swimming. The average ph in a pool is 7.8 :p

Well, not sure if you're just being a moron or whatever, but a ph of 7 is neutral, the higher the ph is, the more basic it is, the lower it is, the more acidic it is.

Back