• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Domain Name Transfer

DaveBusey

I have set up several free web sites for churches but I have always used the hosts' name as part of the URL. Now I am considering setting up a site with its own domain name. My question refers to the unfortunate possibility that a web host may eventually cease operations. If a domain name (paid for by me for an annual fee) is registered through a host who goes out of business, can the site be moved to another host who can reregister the same name? Is this a minor change or a big hassle? Have any of you experienced this problem?

Thanks in advance!

Dave Busey

Sometimes the host will push the domain to your account but it is always safer to control your own domain name..

Pleae clearify.
You usualy use baptistchurch.xyzhost.com, or catholicchurch.xushost.com
You would like to use baptistchurch.com or catholicchurch.com
You want to know if xyzhost.com goes out of business can you get xyzhost.com and keep it for your self?

If you register a domain name with an ICANN Accredited register they are less likeley to go out of business. Be sure you register it in your name or the church name and not in the name of your web host.

Thank you shib and cfhdev

You asked:

Please clarify.
You usualy use baptistchurch.xyzhost.com, or catholicchurch.xushost.com
You would like to use baptistchurch.com or catholicchurch.com
You want to know if xyzhost.com goes out of business can you get xyzhost.com and keep it for your self?

What I was trying to ask was if xyzhost.com handled the registration for me (because they were my host) to use baptistchurch.com and if xyzhost.com went out of business, does my claim on baptistchurch.com go down the drain with them or may I possibly transfer baptistchurch.com to another host with minimal difficulty?

Agreed. Getting the domain name directly from the registrar of choice is the way to go. This way, no matter what happens with your host, you will still own and control the domain name.

Thanks for your help, BurstnetPR and amitnyamtabad.

cfhdev's second post was a good lead, too. I went to the ICANN web site and, when looking around, came upon this memo:

http://www.icann.org/announcements/announcement-19sep07.htm

which gives me confidence that my hypothetical problem has already been considered and addressed in a positive way. Thanks again to each of you.

That finishes my question.

You can register a domain via your host, just make sure the domain is registered in your name with your mails in the contact info.

DaveBusey, using ICANN-accredited registars, you may use them to avoid any pitfalls in the process of swapping hosts.

DaveBusey, using ICANN-accredited registars, you may use them to avoid any pitfalls in the process of swapping hosts.
Right, as I know NameCheap.com is good in it. They provide domain transfer for affordable prices but you have to remember that:
You can only transfer .com, .net, .org, .info, .biz, .us, .ca, .cc, .cn, .com.cn, .net.cn, .org.cn, .co.uk, .org.uk and .me.uk domains at this time.
Regulations prohibit transferring domains that are less than 60 days old. Please wait atleast 60 days before transferring.
Regulations also prohibit transferring domains that will expire within 7 days. So, please transfer early to avoid this problem.
EPP authentication code will be required for .com, .net, .org, .biz, .info, .mobi, .cn and .us domain transfers. Contact your current registrar to get an EPP code.
Please make sure the domain is not locked at the current registrars. Many registars place locks without your knowledge.

Alot of hosts register the domain in there own name, Your better off to just go to a registar like godaddy.com and be done with it....
Its safer...
The answer to your question is: No you have about a 50% chance you wont get the domain if the host shuts down...

But a host usually resells domains from Enom or any other ICANN-accredited registrar, like my host a2hosting.com from Enom.
Doesn't it automatically mean that if a2hosting.com goes out of business, Enom becomes in charge of all domains registered by its reseller?

Back