• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Email verification effectiveness?

dmmcintyre3

Does requiring email verification do any good against spam? It would at least prevent them from using a fake email right?

If it does any good what wordpress plugin would be good for requiring this for guest commenters?

It's a pretty good step, spambots still have trouble with CAPTCHAs though so you could try one of them first (it's probably a simpler plugin).

Use a plugin called "Register Plus" - Removes all spam bots because of form setup. I used to get loads of spam mails a day, I get zero.

As I've said in multiple threads, the only really effective way to stop spam bots in commercial software is to change the registration layout. You can also add dummy fields.

I usually make some of the form parts only accessible by human interactions such as cursor focus. Perhaps combine it with some javascript, It has been working pretty well.

Back