• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Er....choose skins?

Mattikal

Any chance you'd install a few skins to this board or something? Somehow I think it looks slightly plain with this skin all of the time...

The look shouldn't matter, it's the content itself that should.

I current theme reflects the rest of the site as it is, added other skins would only make the forum look out of place.

Just my two cents though.

Last edited:
This has been said a million times, and I've always replied with the same thing.

No.

This is not a design forum, this is a help forum and web hosting forum. It is and will always be about the content for a site like this...and that's all that matters.

I want vB2 back for faster moderation. Or a less graphic intensive version of this vB3 :devious2:

Jan said:
I want vB2 back for faster moderation. Or a less graphic intensive version of this vB3 :devious2:
Yeah, I'd be pleased to have a less graphic intensive version as well. :)

Blank Verse said:
This has been said a million times, and I've always replied with the same thing.

No.

This is not a design forum, this is a help forum and web hosting forum. It is and will always be about the content for a site like this...and that's all that matters.
So what this isn't a design forum? DSLReports.com is about dsl but they let their users select over 25 different color themes. Even WebHostingTalk.com has different skins.

Robert said:
So what this isn't a design forum? DSLReports.com is about dsl but they let their users select over 25 different color themes. Even WebHostingTalk.com has different skins.
Once again, it's the content that matters.

Just because DSLReports chose to allow their users to select multiple themes doesn't mean that FWS needs to follow.

Robert you've stuck it out here for over 4 years on the default look. That kinda proves the content over style debate, does it not? You're not going to leave because graphically, this place is not up to par with other sites.

jmiller said:
Once again, it's the content that matters.

Just because DSLReports chose to allow their users to select multiple themes doesn't mean that FWS needs to follow.
Of course it's content, that isn't the point of the arugment and it's pretty moot at this point. If it was't for the content, then this site wouldn't exist. The point is, that sometimes a little change is better. Maybe I don't like the vB 3 style, maybe I want to have another theme to go with the site. I don't visit the main page of this site, or any other pages except for the forums. It would be nice to have an alternative theme for users. That doesn't take away from the site, because new users would always see what Peo wants them see, only registered users can change the theme.

Blank Verse said:
Robert you've stuck it out here for over 4 years on the default look. That kinda proves the content over style debate, does it not? You're not going to leave because graphically, this place is not up to par with other sites.
So if I drive a car for 2 years, that means that I accept the design of the car? No, that means that originally I approved the car, and while I still like it, I feel that it can have some changes done to it's exterior as well as interior design. And one thing is that I feel that an alternative theme would be great, perferablly a darker theme. To argue the fact that I've accepted this theme because I've been here for 4+ years isn't accurate, just because I visit the forum on a daily basis doesn't mean I accept the theme currently used. I'm not saying we need to change the default theme, I'm suggesting that an alternative theme would be nice to have.

Last edited:
All I'm saying is that the theme of the forum isn't entirely relevant. The site is not graphically intense, so it loads fast and that makes it functional. That's all that really matters here. It looks good enough for people to still come here and visit and participate.

Blank Verse said:
All I'm saying is that the theme of the forum isn't entirely relevant. The site is not graphically intense, so it loads fast and that makes it functional. That's all that really matters here. It looks good enough for people to still come here and visit and participate.
And nobody is suggesting to change it, we are simply suggesting that another theme be available in the user cp. As far as "loads fast", it actually loads SLOWER than it did on vB2.

I would have to agree Robert and moderating is wayyyyyyyyyy much slower than vB2. As for general surfing, every vB3 forum I have visited is slow, so it isn't just this one. Even HHO now they have switched is slow. Apparently Jelsoft have been notified by a few, so hopefully they will come up with a solution soon.

I concur. All vb3 sites for me load slow as all heck. The fact that i'm currently on dialup doesn't help the situation.

I tend to avoid any site using vb3 as often as I can, because it is just that painful.

Jan said:
I would have to agree Robert and moderating is wayyyyyyyyyy much slower than vB2. As for general surfing, every vB3 forum I have visited is slow, so it isn't just this one. Even HHO now they have switched is slow. Apparently Jelsoft have been notified by a few, so hopefully they will come up with a solution soon.
Yea, not necessarily this website, all vb3. VB3 is graphic intense, with almost every table having some form of a graphic. if a new theme was introduced, a "lite" theme, sort of like WHT, I bet it would be a big hit.

Back