• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

f2s slow?

Chris

has anyone else noticed this?

(please nobody mention about how ad-free servers will always end up slow? i want a yes or no answer).

Not really....

I have three accounts there and all are really fast right now. It just depends on which one of their servers you're on. And yes, ad-free hosts always end up slow :D

...but I thought f2s was a large company. They should be able to afford to do what they are doing. Of course, the Microsoft network is the richest company in the world and they put ads on the pages of the users of their free homepage service.

*or* it could be that they are a business and know that it takes money to keep a business up and running (or thy buisness gets rammed into the ground).

I think......

I think there shud be some sort of balance between money making and giving a free quality service to your users... ! taking the example of spaceproxy or terraserver.. I would highly recommend F2s to start a service (optionally) for showing ADs on users sites...by sharing the profit 50/50.. That wud do give them more money to invest in server/bandwidth and users will have better response times/ up times.. just a suggestion.

I for one wonder how f2s does it. Look at everyone else (with no ads) that has come and gone or just hanging on till tomorrow. I have 3 accounts with them and I have noticed that the older they are the faster they are. Although the newest, that was painfully slow, is now doing fairly well.

LINX - co-owns freedom2surf don't they?. They are one of the biggest providers in the uk so guess thats how they make money.

They also provide free Dialup internet access~ in UK.. and paid services include ADSL/premium hosting/domain services... woh! i want them to be a little more faster! i am willing to show ads if they share the profit with the webmasters, or even a linkexchange sort of thingy.

Re:

Originally posted by -=shortyz-appz=-
Slow !that is not the word for it there server's are crawlen Maybe I Could Host A Better free Web Server in my old 56k.......

Maybe you could type a little better if you went a little slower?

Hey Shorty, it's warez people like you who slow everything down. Tell your warez buddies to get the heck out of FreeWebHosting and watch how everything speeds up.

Hmmm...

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones...

I joined F2S back in December of last year (ooh, exactly a year ago!), and am on server 20. I've *never* had a speed problem.

However, the server does (on very rare occasions these days) get an "out of space" error for some reason when trying to upload files. This can cause deletion of files when a script tries to write over a file. I got around this by having scripts do a test-write in a test file first, then reading that file to see if what was supposed to be put there is actually there. If it's there, it continues with the process it's supposed to do.

But like I said, that almost never happens these days, and my speed is excellent. They haven't installed MySQL on that old server, but the little I use of a db is done in Postgres anyway.

All in all, I've never had better service from a FWP.

Yeah, I know, I've been keeping up with the Server 33 problems... but those on server 33 were warned that there'd be problems when they signed up. But you signed up anyway, so gripe at yerselves. They'll get the problems fixed eventually.

you just have to ping the server with your sites address like this

ping www.yoursite.f2s.com

and the results you should get are like this

Pinging server0028.freedom2surf.net [194.106.33.39] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 194.106.33.39: bytes=32 time=398ms TTL=239
Reply from 194.106.33.39: bytes=32 time=227ms TTL=239
Reply from 194.106.33.39: bytes=32 time=223ms TTL=239
Reply from 194.106.33.39: bytes=32 time=222ms TTL=239

Ping statistics for 194.106.33.39:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 222ms, Maximum = 398ms, Average = 267ms

The first line of the results will tell you what server you are on i.e. server0028 Anyway hope that helps and good luck.

Oh and by the way shorty I have informed F2S, VirtualAve, and Infopop about your site as I am sure the bulletin board
on your site is not legally yours and the others I am sure would not be too happy with the sites contents. Anyway have a nice day :)

Another way to see what server you're on is to just log on to your account via FTP. Look at the comments that show as you are logged on... "Connecting to..." etc. Somewhere in them it'll say "server0020", for example. That's what it says for me, since I'm on server 20.

Back