• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Free VPS

In order to provide a VPS with even something as little as 64-128MB of RAM you can't pack as many clients onto one server as with free hosting. And the revenues you will get from advertising won't begin to cover the allocation of those resources. I am sure a few will take the chance at it.

Well... i do think it would be popular. It sounds crazy today, but remember back in the days that "10 GB space with 50 bandwidth just for posting??? Man, that's crazy! Impossible"; and look at us now.

Technology :p Or however the **** is written ¬¬

Why do you want to take away more profit from Hosts that barely make it as is?

Haha, I don't plan to. Just trying to stay one step ahead and see if anyone thinks this might ever be an issue. I've watched VPS prices come down over the past few years from $40/month to $7/month - if the trend continues in the same direction, it only makes sense to wonder whether some providers might try to offer free VPS solutions.

Free VPS is just asking for trouble. Free hosts already have enough head ache from users exploiting a normal hosting account, let a lone a VPS with full root access. Nothing but trouble if you ask me.

Running a vps need lot of resources and time for the hosting companies, i dont think any one will provide free vps, also the bottom line is a person willing to have a vps will easily buy it

True nightmare. Unless you have a program where they are required to get an amout of revenue, if not, they are canceled.

dream on dude......... especially with the economy as it is. lol

unless you really make best friends with some host ... and will provide a basic one for you lol!

but it's hopeless too on the long term!

Haha, I don't plan to. Just trying to stay one step ahead and see if anyone thinks this might ever be an issue. I've watched VPS prices come down over the past few years from $40/month to $7/month - if the trend continues in the same direction, it only makes sense to wonder whether some providers might try to offer free VPS solutions.

I thought about doing it myself lastyear, the problem I could not get around was monitizing it and being able to fullfill demand for the service. I got to registering the domain though, free-vps.net which I sold on here last summer.

There was a provider called freexen.com

They only gave you 64mb RAM, I got an account when they launched - sometime in 2007 - couldn't tell you if it's still active as lost the welcome e-mail.

It was very fast! There trick was to offer very competative upgrades to higher plans.

It will. But not likely in the near future.
Technology will advance, and free hosts striving to be one step ahead will start offering free VPSes. I can imagine that in a few years VPSes will be as cheap as shared accounts.
It will undoubtedly pose a problem though, and start a trend just like resellers did.

There are a couple companies I've seen considering the idea, but revenue won't come easily for them, at least not very quickly.

These VPS systems would have many limited features to prevent using it for spam and unnecessary activity. They would also likely find a way to do forced ads or something. It'll take time to develop this but I can see it happening soon.

technnology will evolve and so will the security software running these vps systems. it will eventually become normal for everyone to be hosted on a vps, hosting will be a thing of the past.

as software develops, our servers will become more secure and more intelligent when it comes to catching those exploiting the webhosts resources.

in my own opinion, free vps is the future. just think of the days when free hosting meant you got 5mb space and 50mb bandwidth. soon technology will haveto be more powerfull to keep up with the human demand for speed and quality.

Yeah. I do. When I plan to open my VPS datacenter in a few years, I will offer free plans, with ads of course.

Back